Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 2:58 pm

Does anyone else have an autism waiver in their state? Basically, it means the state will pay for lots of services (in-home care, people to take you into the community, individual therapy if desired). Does anyone have any experience with such a waiver?

The man came to my house to interview my mom and I about it today. We thought I might be too high functioning, but he said I should be accepted. It would be great to get the services I need to be able to live on my own.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:03 pm

nope, i'd never even heard of it

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 3:17 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
Does anyone else have an autism waiver in their state? Basically, it means the state will pay for lots of services (in-home care, people to take you into the community, individual therapy if desired). Does anyone have any experience with such a waiver?

The man came to my house to interview my mom and I about it today. We thought I might be too high functioning, but he said I should be accepted. It would be great to get the services I need to be able to live on my own.

Not sure, but planning to find out if something similar exists where I am. I'll try to come back and let y'all know once I find out.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 4:00 pm

I've never heard of it, either.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 5:24 pm

I've only ever heard of something like that in England. I didn't know it existed here in the States at all except for adults with IQs of 70 or below..

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2010, 5:53 pm

I've never heard of an autism waiver, but in southern California, there's a place called the Frank D. Lanterman Center that provides services to people with developmental disabilities. Their website is http://www.lanterman.org/

When I was diagnosed with HFA, my parents signed me up with them. They offered classes on independent living skills and a bunch of other stuff that I never really felt I needed and never took advantage of. Occasionally, a social worker would come to my house and interview me to see how I was doing. I eventually got tired of having the interviews and I never really used their services, so I basically stopped responding to them and they dropped me from their service.

Looking back, I wish I would have stuck with them, simply for the fact that my advocate, Michelle, could have helped me deal with getting out of jury duty. It would be a lot easier to deal with that if I still had a social worker to stand up for me and say, "Yes, I know he looks normal, but he has a bone disease that causes his bones to break like glass (osteogenesis imperfecta) and a developmental disorder that basically makes him socially ret*d."

"...A shaman's life was the inverse of an ordinary man's. He lived in the wilderness; pursued no productive economic activities; remained unmarried and apparently childless; wore his clothing inside out; painted himself black instead of red or white;

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 6:15 pm

New York State has it. Is that where you live? My area offers all sorts of services. I don't know about the "waiver," but I do know of loads of benefits for those with Autism.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 8:39 pm

Nope, I'm in PA.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 9:21 pm

In Oregon, we call that "brokerage services." To qualify, you much have a functional IQ of less than 70. This has nothing to do with regular IQ, tested by an IQ test. It is from an adaptive functioning scale, like the Vineland test.

I was surprised I qualified because I have a high IQ. However, my social understanding is very low. I have a home care worker who spends 3-6 hours a week with me, depending on what I need. I also have a "personal agent" with the brokerage who helps make sure I'm getting other services I need, such as vocational rehabilitation.

I would imagine every state would differ, but I've heard that Oregon offers the best system, which is one reason I don't want to move. I know people getting a lot more hours than me who are not mentally ret*d on an IQ test, but that have ASD.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!