people telling me i look stoned when i'm not

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 4:46 am

i never really thought i had sensory issues before,
but come to think of it, maybe i have a slight one when it comes to lighting.
'cause i rarely have my eyes all the way open. They usually sit somewhere between halfway & all the way open. and people look at my eyes and tell me i look like i smoke marijuana because of this :P . Or maybe it's the rest of my face and the general lack of strong expression too.

but maybe i do that subconsciously because having them fully open just lets in a little too much light and bothers my eyes slightly. hmmm, idk

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 6:45 am

I do the same thing, for the same reason. It's what allowed me to blend in with the stoners in high school and, subsequently, what gave me the opportunity to actually get stoned.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 6:49 am

People used to ask me if I was on drugs, all the time. I hated that.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 6:59 am

I got that in high school. I even got a nickname based on it. From my friends who, I presume, knew I wasn't actually stoned.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 7:11 am

this happens to me when before, i hated it cause i know they was preferring to my eyes rolling almost in the top of my head ( Lucky it don't happen anymore) and how i walk. but everytime i knew i wasn't i don't drink smoke or do drugs. :roll:

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 9:18 am

in 1983 my mum though I was smoking spliff. :arrow:

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jun 2010, 9:59 am

Absolutely! It's so bad, that I had a statement printed on my driver's license about Autistic eye contact, so that hopefully the police won't always hold me there for hours trying to figure out what I'm using, when all they might pull me over for is a burned out tail light or something.

Charles

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2010, 9:59 am

Near the mid way of Primary School to halfway through High School I've been told I look or act like a stoner

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 10:05 am

I get that comment alot and probably for different reasons. I know part of it is due to light sensitivity, but I also get the look when I am bored or tired/sleepy :/

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 10:25 am

LOL I got that from my HS math teacher. Funny thing was I never hung out with anyone who smoked dope. I didn't even try it until college....it didn't go very well. Needless to say, Mary Jane was not nor will ever be my friend. Don't need it anyway.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 10:29 am

Interesting that this so much seems to be a high school age thing.

guesswhoyou
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2010, 10:48 am

Yeh I used to kinda play along with it because it excused my behaiours also. lol. So even though I barely smoked I pretend I was stoned a lot. But I wasnt it was just the way I was lol

A girl at shcool used to call me hash-head and asked why I was always stoned.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 10:56 am

People always think I'm angry or upset because I tend to have a very serious expression. During my sophomore year in high school a couple of people gave me the nickname "Mean Mugger" because they thought I was giving them dirty looks. :roll:

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2010, 11:06 am

Descartes wrote:
People always think I'm angry or upset because I tend to have a very serious expression. During my sophomore year in high school a couple of people gave me the nickname "Mean Mugger" because they thought I was giving them dirty looks. :roll:

I would get this a lot too. Generally people avoid me because of a look on my face that I'm usually unaware of and unconcerned about. I just went along with the joke and put a Mr. Men car accessory in my side rear window of Mr. Grumpy as a joke.

I'd also get the whole looking stoned but not actually being stoned thing often too. Which is funny because I hardly got accused of being stoned while I actually was stoned. :lol:

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 11:33 am

Lecks wrote:
I do the same thing, for the same reason. It's what allowed me to blend in with the stoners in high school and, subsequently, what gave me the opportunity to actually get stoned.

Yes that. Never wouldve gotten into drugs if people didn't think I was already on them. I was also prone to responding to sensory characteristics of my environment rather than to the agreed upon definitions of the objects around me. That didn't help. (Nor did inadvertently dressing like a stereotypical hippie.)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 1:21 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Absolutely! It's so bad, that I had a statement printed on my driver's license about Autistic eye contact, so that hopefully the police won't always hold me there for hours trying to figure out what I'm using, when all they might pull me over for is a burned out tail light or something.

Charles

Only slightly off-topic: I saw one of those annoying chain emails the other day purportedly written by a cop, going on about people who carry firearms in their vehicles, but what got my attention were his remarks about how when he pulled someone over, he immediately considered lack of eye contact to indicate that the person is either CRAZY or HIDING SOMETHING, and that made him much more likely to order them out of the vehicle and search for contraband. In his words, lack of eye contact more often than not, led to "further altercations and arrests" - notice he did not say "evidence of a crime" - just that he's more likely to bully and intimidate someone who doesn't look him in the eye. If he bullies someone with Autistic processing issues and they have a meltdown, he'll just beat the crap out of them and throw them in jail.

Just more evidence of how critical it is that we get information and education out there on AS and HFA. Morons like this guy are liable to shoot somebody for being Autistic.