Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:56 am

What conditions do you need to study?

I need almost total silence and isolation. I can't study with people and I can't study with music etc.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2010, 11:14 am

SteelMaiden wrote:

I need almost total silence and isolation. I can't study with people and I can't study with music etc.

I need the same conditions. I live in a very small home and when I went to college, my boyfriend didn't understand the concept of privacy. I would be studying and he would either have the TV blasting or walk in the bedroom and keep asking "what cha doin'?"

It drove me nuts.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 12:03 pm

M_p_furo wrote:
I need the same conditions. I live in a very small home and when I went to college, my boyfriend didn't understand the concept of privacy. I would be studying and he would either have the TV blasting or walk in the bedroom and keep asking "what cha doin'?"

It drove me nuts.

I am not surprised it drove you nuts! It would drive me into violence.

When I was at school and the teacher asked us to revise in class, I had to get special permission to go to a separate room when they did this.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2010, 12:12 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

I am not surprised it drove you nuts! It would drive me into violence.

When I was at school and the teacher asked us to revise in class, I had to get special permission to go to a separate room when they did this.

Hehe! I got pretty angry at him. He just said I was being mean. :roll:

I had a similar experience in college, and had to take my tests in a separate, "quiet" room. At least there, I could rock to my hearts content while I took my test. :)

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 8:49 pm

I need passion and interest, as well as noise, oddly enough, especially noise I like. I also most of the time need motivation in the form of a tablet. And I'm not ashamed of it.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:19 am

I wish someone would define what "studying" actualy is. I never understood what people meant when they told me to study. So please define it. What extactaly is a person supposed to do when they "study"? Lots of vital things were never explained to me. I didn't even understand the signifiance of a grade/mark until late middle school.

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2010, 12:23 am

I can study for work in silence most of the time. I NEED background noise most times, and as far as school work type stuff, either a library or even a place with more people is better.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:26 am

Umm.. I'm not really sure if i'm capable of studying.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2010, 1:22 am

I need music going, or to be around other people. If it is too quiet I start hearing every little noise and the anxiety starts going up. Music helps, sorta like white noise, except some sounds good :D . Being around other people is for the motivation, I am incredibly bad and getting motivated. Of course being around other people they prefer to talk about crap, making it hard :(

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 3:56 am

Quote:
I wish someone would define what "studying" actualy is. I never understood what people meant when they told me to study. So please define it. What extactaly is a person supposed to do when they "study"? Lots of vital things were never explained to me. I didn't even understand the signifiance of a grade/mark until late middle school.

THIS THIS THIS!

I still do not understand it. When I ask I never really get an answer.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2010, 6:04 am

Quote:

Hey - me too! Marks meant nothing to me until middle school as well, and I didn't learn much before then either, in school or out.

I can tell you what studying was for me. It was done only during the morning before exams, and it meant rereading, and intently concentrating on, material that would be covered on the exam to ensure that I knew it and could reproduce/explain/apply it as required during the test.

To this day I am somewhat mystified as to what those who say they are studying for hours each day are actually doing. The idea is that they are attempting to learn or memorize material that was covered in class or is included in reading material. I suspect many are mostly daydreaming - I would be - but perhaps their learning style is radically different from mine.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 12:21 pm

I suppose studying is reading to accumulate information in my head and remember it.

I tend to start revising months before an exam because I can never be good enough.

But if I'm interested in the subject, I just read it and it stays in my memory.

However if its a subject I dislike, I won't be able to remember anything unless I spend the whole day on the topic from sunrise to sunset.

One thing I can't do is to take notes. My method of studying/revising is just to read things over and over again.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2010, 12:34 pm

I can work in a lot of enviornments, but for studying I need isolation. I tend to prefer background noice, and put on literal white noise on my ipod. But, I have trouble focusing if I'm around anyone. I usually go to a study room at my University Library andspend a few hours a day there in solitude, studying without distraction.

The exception is if it's one of my key interests -- a lot of science related topics tend to be a lot easier and need no special circumstances for my studying. I can completely tone out anyone and everything around me if this is the case.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 12:41 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I wish someone would define what "studying" actually is. I never understood what people meant when they told me to study. So please define it. What extactaly is a person supposed to do when they "study"?

I'm sure I misinterpreted what you said, but I'm not sure what studying is either. I just read the information and then take a test.. It works in everything but math :oops:
I don't need it to be absolutely silent, but I can't have anyone near me. Which can be difficult to arrange at school. . .

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2010, 12:48 pm

book_noodles wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
I wish someone would define what "studying" actually is. I never understood what people meant when they told me to study. So please define it. What extactaly is a person supposed to do when they "study"?

I'm sure I misinterpreted what you said, but I'm not sure what studying is either. I just read the information and then take a test.. It works in everything but math :oops:
I don't need it to be absolutely silent, but I can't have anyone near me. Which can be difficult to arrange at school. . .

I don't know. I study reguardless of if I'm working for a specific test or not. When I'm takign a class, I feel the need to learn the information so that when a test does come I can better deal with the anxiety which I have in reguards to that.

The one thing I won't study is English. I just never say the point....

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:08 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

The same here. Plus I can't have anything more interesting than studying to do :lol: