Attention 60 Minutes Australia!! !! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 5:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Please read the following and show your support. I have contacted 60 Minutes Australia and Sunday Night on Channel 7 regarding the underrepresentation of AS/Austism in women and girls. That diagnosis is almost non-existant and treatment is very expensive, although we do have it better than some other countries. I am asking for your support, no matter which country you are in because all your views COUNT!! ! We have a voice and we are using it. 8)

I am not discounting the precious men here :wink: , but you guys support would be very helpful and basically ANY media representation of Autism benefits everyone. I do not want to see another person being misdiagnosed with all sorts of other mental illnesses and medicated to the eyeballs due to a certain level of ignorance in the community. I want our stories to be represented truthfully.

Here are the links for you to send an email. You can make reference to my original email (Ms Hadley, June 25 2010) or you can write one of your own.

[email protected] (better email than the link on the website. Straight from the horses mouth)

Sunday Night Ch 7

Lets get ourselves heard.

Also my partner is running in the Bridge to Brisbane 10km fun run to raise funds for Autism. Wishing him the best of luck.

Thanks everyone,

Mics

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2010, 7:15 pm

Well, "60 Minutes" (at least in America) only covers topics that can be portrayed in a highly sensationalist and alarmist tone. In order to get such a topic onto "60 Minutes", you'd have to come up with something along the lines of tap water causing autism in young children. The show attracts viewers who can feel personally threatened by the show's claims, not viewers who would be concerned with the effects on others.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 7:20 pm

Praetorius wrote:
Well, "60 Minutes" (at least in America) only covers topics that can be portrayed in a highly sensationalist and alarmist tone. In order to get such a topic onto "60 Minutes", you'd have to come up with something along the lines of tap water causing autism in young children. The show attracts viewers who can feel personally threatened by the show's claims, not viewers who would be concerned with the effects on others.

Thanks for that. I see what you mean. 60 minutes in Oz isn't necessarly like that. They did a really good story on Tourettes last year that was a truthful representation. I hope they have merits and I ain't agreeing to anything until I know what they are going to say. :wink:

Worth a try!

Mics

Jumla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2010, 7:47 pm

Michhsta,

I wonder whether it would be better to contact the ABC? I know they don't have the same ratings pull as the commercial stations, but the quality of journalism is so much higher. From memory, ABC's Catalyst has done a few shows on AS.