Does Anyone Here Have Any Really Strange Special Interest?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 2:53 am

Like the kind of extremely obscure examples they use in a lot of literature about AS? You know... things like deep fat fryers, door knobs, memorizing camera models when you don't care about photography, etc.? Because i don't think any of the special interests i've heard people talk about on here really seem that strange. Most are even things an NT might be interested in to a much lesser degree.

I know there are lots of NTs who are into reptiles, there are expos and magazines and stuff for reptile enthusiasts. I suppose the big differences are that i fixate on it more and i can't really integrate myself into the group of people with the same interest with ease like NTs can. I'd usually rather lecture someone who doesn't know much about reptiles than hang out with a group of reptile-lovers, because that becomes a big social task(getting along with a group of people with similar interests, that is.. if i do try it never works out, because i don't know how). Although i do enjoy going to reptile shows and talking to a few people because i learn stuff, and i know a few people who like reptiles who i interact with individually. I think this is about the same type of pattern for all of the interests i've had. There's usually NT people out there who have the same interest, just not as fixated with me and i can't integrate into their group socially.

Looking around at other people here, interests in something like a band, a celebrity, a movie, a type of animal, a science, or firearms don't seem that strange to me. Maybe if someone was specifically interested in some obscure animal like the star nosed mole, yeah, that would seem a little strange... i dunno. I just think the kinds of examples they use in literature aren't necessarily all that usual for people with ASD. Not that i'm saying strange is bad.. I'd love to hear about someone's interest in vaccuum cleaners or whatever, but it just doesn't seem like i hear about much of that.

Last edited by ColdBlooded on 26 Jun 2010, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 2:56 am

sex :D

...oh wait, nevermind, that's not obscure :lol:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:22 am

Seanmw wrote:

It is for some people!

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2010, 3:30 am

Chronos wrote:
Seanmw wrote:

It is for some people!

I just googled 'sex': it does seem very popular (unless that is cute furry animals are involvded). But I once read about a man who married a raccoon. :lol:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:36 am

I'm obsessed with money and the financial system a lot more than most NTs seem to be. They care only how it effects them, whereas I want to know every little detail so I can profit off of it.

I suspect I am one of very few 15 year olds who knows about synthetic subprime mortgage bond backed collateralized debt obligations (only so I can avoid them, though :lol: )

Me = hedge fund manager in training :P

Last edited by Asp-Z on 26 Jun 2010, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:37 am

I suspect the individuals into memorizing model numbers see the subject in a deeper sense then most individuals would initially understand.

I am willing to bet that either they have some form of synesthesia, or are able to derive some information from the number which is of interest to them (VIN numbers actually encode a good deal of information about a car such as where it was made, what month, what batch, and in some states, what years it's to be smogged, and so on).

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:06 am

I like death.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:10 am

Ferdinand wrote:
I like death.

I don't know if this is a joke or not but I really enjoy looking at sites like Rotten and, in the past, Ogrish. The grossest stuff I've seen is terrorist decapitation videos. I've even been to the Museum of Death in LA. I'm not sure why I have this interest but it's like a compulsion.

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2010, 4:17 am

Don't know if obscure, but i am fascinated by male bodies. I always draw men. Not chubby bodies but slim and usually muscular. I am poor at drawing women because they always look like men. As a kid i drew male action characters from cartoons because they were cool and i wanted to be like them myself. Superman, Action-man, Batman, Ninja Turtles(that won't count because it's a man-turtle?)... I don't think there's anything sexual. Haha it's weird, i wanted to be a man myself. Today i am improving my man-drawing skills. Learning about muscles and bones so i know better where to draw what.

It feels awesome to draw such. All those lines, curves ... i don't have that many words. I am sure that some might think i am a pervert or something. So i keep the stuff in private. I hate showing my drawings to people i don't know.

I suspect that it is not only an AS thing. I think the NT's and others might also draw such.

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2010, 4:18 am

Kiseki wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
I like death.

I don't know if this is a joke or not but I really enjoy looking at sites like Rotten and, in the past, Ogrish. The grossest stuff I've seen is terrorist decapitation videos. I've even been to the Museum of Death in LA. I'm not sure why I have this interest but it's like a compulsion.

Meanwhile Iceland has its penis museum, Holland a carrot museum and Belgium a French Fry museum (only don't call them French there) :)

clovismackintosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2010, 4:20 am

skonamis wrote:
Don't know if obscure, but i am fascinated by male bodies. ... ... .

I have a male body which I hardly ever use :D

Perin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2010, 4:34 am

Past obsessions I've had include lockpicking and hand-balancing (as seen in the circus).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:00 am

The Kinks, and that's a good thing. Living in a time warp isn't the lonely experience, that people make it out, to be. I have a lot of friends, who are living for today, in the present. My love for The Kinks, and their first 20 years, are not of a social hindrance, to my existence.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:09 am

Kiseki wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
I like death.

I like bestgore and charonboat.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:12 am

Ferdinand wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:
I like death.

I like bestgore and charonboat.

Hmm...why don't I know about these sites? Off to look now.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:20 am

Last edited by Ferdinand on 26 Jun 2010, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.