Does Anyone Here Have Any Really Strange Special Interest?

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:29 am

I'm obsessed with the downfall of human civilization.

Though I try to downplay this obsession, because I don't want the novelty of it to be gone before it actually happens and I get to live that dream.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:47 am

None of my primary special interests are obscure, but some of my secondary ones sort of are. Only my mother and my best friend know about the one that I consider to be the weirdest. One of my preschool-age SIs that was weird for the age was pregnancy and obstetrics. I never have liked babies. I've always just been fascinated with pregnancy. I wanted to be an obstetrician at age 4. A related secondary SI is amusement park height and safety restrictions. They've long fascinated me, and they tie in to both the pregnancy and the Cedar Point/roller coaster obsessions. This is one I've never heard anybody else say they enjoy.

Honestly, though, I think that, in the world of Asperger's, there is no such thing as a "weird" obsessive interest. But I do agree with the original poster in that the majority of Aspies I know, including myself, usually have SIs in video games or movies or TV shows or something relatively "normal."
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2010, 9:05 am

skonamis wrote:
I am fascinated by male bodies.

You can borrow mine any day, :wink: :P :o

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jun 2010, 11:32 am

My hobbies and interests are all "special".... Probably the most glaringly weird is my love for air raid sirens. I would drive 200 miles to hear them tested on test day, and I drove 6000 miles round trip to get one to restore and have myself. That interest boggles the minds of everyone, I guess. Then there's my passion for putting Diesel engines in gasoline cars, and for restoring old TV sets. The vintage TV hobby is actually becoming more mainstream, as is antique radios or baseball card collecting. But the siren hobby is definitely an Aspies-only thing! I doubt if any NT people have a 1200-lb Federal Thunderbolt siren installed and operational on their house 8O .

Charles

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 11:59 am

I don't know if that's weird, but one of my interests is etymology. Given a word, I like to trace it all the way back to Proto-Indo-European and spew out lists of cognates from all the sister Indo-European languages.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 1:41 pm

kx250rider wrote:
a 1200-lb Federal Thunderbolt siren

is that the one that uses a 440 Chrysler motor?

My bad. it was a hemi, and no, yours isn't one of them.

if this piqued anybody's interest, try here: http://www.antiqueweekend.com/x/main.htm

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:53 pm

None of my primary special interests are obscure. They all relate to actors and movies.

However, one of my rarely talked-about secondary special interests is kind of gross. It's childbirth. It's technically been my longest-running interest, because I've had it since early childhood. Usually it seems like the only women who are curious about childbirth are the ones who are pregnant and want to know what they'll be facing in 9 months, but that's not the case with me. I've never been pregnant or had even the slightest desire for children. That's what makes it so strange.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2010, 7:27 pm

Chronos wrote:
I suspect the individuals into memorizing model numbers see the subject in a deeper sense then most individuals would initially understand.

I am willing to bet that either they have some form of synesthesia, or are able to derive some information from the number which is of interest to them (VIN numbers actually encode a good deal of information about a car such as where it was made, what month, what batch, and in some states, what years it's to be smogged, and so on).

I would say not nessecarily, I can get obsessed with the most useless informations. Even useless for me, but it sticks!
Like, for what reason would you remember many decimals of pi, other than the enjoyment? (Not that I remember much of pi, but just an example).

EDIT: It comes from one who used to remember number-plates of cars, which color they were and type.
I've never been interested in cars at all! It was just fun to do.
That was something I did as a child and was a short obsession (9 months or so). :P

Last edited by TheSpecialKid on 27 Jun 2010, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeaMonkey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2010, 7:49 pm

I'm interesting in pole vaulting over gypsies.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:59 pm

I have a bit of an obsession with old instruments of torture and execution. Sometimes I like to watch Youtube videos about torture methods used hundreds of years ago, along with execution methods, and feeling a little disturbed but at the same time fascinated. :roll:

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 8:21 pm

I have yet to talk to anyone with an interest in deep fat fryers or something as ridiculous as that on here (I am sorry to anyone reading this who takes deep fat fryers very seriously). I think it's mostly a question of intensity, not subject matter but I am of the variety who preferred objects over subject matter in youth. I never carried around deep fat fryers but having attachments to pocket lint or a lego action figure as a girl I assume would have been considered strange.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:12 pm

Even though I am in no way athletic-I like to collect and wear different kinds of soccer,athletic and gym shorts.Weird I know :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:16 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
Even though I am in no way athletic-I like to collect and wear different kinds of soccer,athletic and gym shorts.Weird I know :lol:

I don't blame you - athletic clothes are way more comfortable than regular clothes.

Eibhilin
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2010, 9:35 pm

I really dig alien looking sea critters, mollusca and arthropod especially. Squid (piglet, colossal, etc), cuttlefish, giant isopods, limulidae (blue blood ftw!) octopus, shrimp, lobster, the more bizarre the better. Even love woodlouse (rolly pollys) the critters have GILLS man, it's awesome. So cute...

...but I don't think that's as weird as vacuum cleaners. Otherwise I just like video games, anime, books. I'm kind of boring. ^^;

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:43 pm

Nah, firearms are a common one for people with ASDs (also, a fascination with weapons is common in OCD too, so I probably have a double hit there).

Plus, firearms are a common hobby for civilians.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:50 pm

How about strange combos... Sonic and Birds and Mental Disorders! Nothing in common really, unless an insane Flicky shows up someday :lol:

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020