Wanting to "try out" your special interest

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2010, 4:46 am

I have a few weird special interests that make me want to test them out. I can't explain it but I'm hoping someone else feels the same way, so it's not just me! My special interests are along the lines of medical stuff.

Things such as paraplegia. I don't want to actually try this, but I want to try being in a wheelchair all day. Or use crutches, just to see what it's like. I can't do this though because someone I know might see me and wonder what I'm doing.

Or, people with cancer, that fascinates me. Having your hair fall out. I wonder how that feels? I mean, not emotionally, but physically. It'd be a weird feeling to have no hair. I guess the closest to that I can come is to wear a bandanna and plait my hair up :?

Gosh I feel strange with this :oops:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 5:38 am

Nah, that's just wanting to immerse yourself in the practical side of the thing that interests you, to a great amount.

It's easier than say, wanting to be a train conductor [but being unable to work as one], and pretending to be one for a day with a live train and live people that you supposedly hijacked (not that the person with AS can see that they hijacked it). :P

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 6:50 am

I keep trying to get into the ornithology field, but I have dreams of flying myself.

Also I am hoping for a virtual reality Sonic one day, and I don't have the chance, but I would love to cosplay :lol:

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

ponies
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2010, 7:12 am

Oh, I would love to cosplay too. I haven't put much effort into finding a group here in OZ though. There's probably a few around.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 7:29 am

ponies wrote:
Things such as paraplegia. I don't want to actually try this, but I want to try being in a wheelchair all day. Or use crutches, just to see what it's like. I can't do this though because someone I know might see me and wonder what I'm doing.

You could fly to two different cities one city that is known to be handicapped accessable and one known for the lack haddicap accessablity to be able to compare the two. Who knows you might come up with some great idead that could help people stuck in a wheelchair. 8)

Want to see wha cancer is like take up smoking. :twisted: (This is a joke do not take up smoking)

One of my special intrests is stop motion animation it would be very easy for me to do too.

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2010, 8:14 am

ponies wrote:

I'm studying to become an occupational therapist and actually did this to see what it was like. You can't compare it to actually being handicapped. The reactions you get from people vary from funny to disturbing (for instance, if a person in a wheelchair is together with someone else, people almost always speak to the non-handicapped person because they're under the assumption handicap = mental damage.) At the end of the day you can laugh it off, but a handicapped person can't. You can experience being in a wheelchair but not BEING in a wheelchair is what I'm trying to say here.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 10:38 am

Well, I'm a bit ashamed to admit, but I was obsessed with shamanic uses of psychotropic plants about 8 years ago, which ultimately led to a bit of voyeuristic alchemy. (hope my phraseology maintained the PG raiting of this forum). In the long run, I'm none the worse for wear, since I had enough foreknowledge not to seriously injure myself. However, I would generally advise against dabbling into potentially harmful interests. On a brighter note, if one's interest is something more innocuous, I would say, "Give it a try."

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 10:39 am

Well, I'm a bit ashamed to admit, but I was obsessed with shamanic uses of psychotropic plants about 8 years ago, which ultimately led to a bit of voyeuristic alchemy. (hope my phraseology maintained the PG raiting of this forum). In the long run, I'm none the worse for wear, since I had enough foreknowledge not to seriously injure myself. However, I would generally advise against dabbling into potentially harmful interests. On a brighter note, if one's interest is something more innocuous, I would say, "Give it a try."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 10:44 am

I'm teaching myself how to pound a few 60s Kinks beats on the drums.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 12:00 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm teaching myself how to pound a few 60s Kinks beats on the drums.

Have you ever tried to find a Kinks cover band perhaps start one?

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 12:06 pm

ponies wrote:
I have a few weird special interests that make me want to test them out. I can't explain it but I'm hoping someone else feels the same way, so it's not just me! My special interests are along the lines of medical stuff.

Or, people with cancer, that fascinates me. Having your hair fall out. I wonder how that feels? I mean, not emotionally, but physically. It'd be a weird feeling to have no hair. I guess the closest to that I can come is to wear a bandanna and plait my hair up :?

Gosh I feel strange with this :oops:

None of that sounds even the slightest bit weird to me. In many medical schools Drs are required to spend a day in a wheelchair. Teacher ed programs do it as well. I think that shows a lot of empathy and curiosity. Have you thought about studying medicine?

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 12:14 pm

Sometimes "trying out" ones obsessions can be disappointing, even turn you off of the topic. If we are obsessed with something we often expect it to be more than it really is, thus disappointment. Lickily most of my obsessions are not really something that can be tried out per se, or else I'm already "doing" them as well. there have been many that have been passing obsessions that once tried i moved on from because the real side didnt measure up! I wonder if there is a link in this to depression and anxiety? I suspect there is.

kwilky
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2010, 12:18 pm

Well my latest special interest is the card game called magic the gathering and I've really been wanting to play with someone. I've bought quite a few cards but thanks to my social anxiety it's very hard for me to find someone to play with. It really bums me out. I could barely afford to buy all of the cards that I've bought so far and it makes me feel like I've wasted that money because I'm not even using them. :cry:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:28 pm

kwilky wrote:
Well my latest special interest is the card game called magic the gathering and I've really been wanting to play with someone. I've bought quite a few cards but thanks to my social anxiety it's very hard for me to find someone to play with. It really bums me out. I could barely afford to buy all of the cards that I've bought so far and it makes me feel like I've wasted that money because I'm not even using them. :cry:

I live about a 45 minute walk from a games store that sells magic the gathering card game but I do not play. Have you tried looking for game and comic book shops in your area? Some of these stores sponser tournaments and will teach you how to play better.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:33 pm

Kaysea wrote:

Ashamed for expanding your base of experience by throwing open the 'doors of perception'? Why, whatever for? I studied Shamanism, Western Occultism, comparative religion, philosophy and the paranormal of every stripe for a decade and I'm not at all ashamed to say I've eaten my share of blue moss*. :wink: Rod Serling was right - 'There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man' most men, anyway...and considerably more than five...

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 3:28 pm

I would like to turn my interest into a career, I would like to be a primatologist either doing field research or working in an ape sanctuary. One particular sanctuary that is interesting me is "Lola Ya Bonobo", a haven for orphaned bonobos in Africa, I know it is a long way away but I would still love to work there when I'm older. So that's kind of like trying out my interest.