Living Abroad (as a Coping Mechanism)

Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 9:36 pm

Iceland is full of strange people and those with MRDDs, so Aspergers or Autism will not be out of the ordinary.

Ziuwari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm

I literally moved across the world and I feel more at home now than I ever did. Even though I hate the country I live in now, I still feel more at home.

kayell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2019, 10:53 am

Just found this old post. I'm in the process of leaving the US and retiring in Ecuador. Sixteen days until my plane leaves!

I only figured out I was an Aspie @ a month ago, long after I decided to move. This is a little odd. I have no idea how to find other Aspies in a country where I barely speak the language, or whether to even try to find Aspies in the gringo community. Maybe I don't, just keep doing what I've been doing for the last 60+ years.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear from anyone else who has done this kind of move - where you went, how you adjusted, anything else.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

QuietOne1989
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2019, 7:22 pm

I would love to live abroad but haven't the foggiest idea of how it's possible.

Where would I go?

Greece.

I fell in love with the country when I visited with my then fiance back in 2011. I loved the scenery, the people were very friendly and easy to talk to unlike here in England, I find. Society has become more hardened in recent years, at least from my point of view. It has it's good points but those are very few and far between nowadays.

And I am completely obsessed with Greek Mythology too.

Living abroad is such a big leap to take and I think my husband and I will never be brave enough to jump.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 2:54 pm

I've never traveled abroad except for a day or two in Canada with my family when I was little.

However, I live in what is now a very multi-cultural neighborhood, with immigrants from all over the world, and with no one dominant ethnic group.

Living in such a neighborhood has some of the same advantages attributed in this thread to moving to a foreign country, and would probably be much easier for many of us.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 10:22 pm

Definitely. I haven't lived in my own country for 18 years. Feeling like and being regarded as a weird resident alien in a foreign country is better than feeling like and being regarded that way in one's own country.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 7:39 am

Would be nice honestly but such things aren't possible for me