Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ad2009
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2010, 2:31 am

Obviously, it would vary to an extent from person to person and it would also depend on how much of what types of alcohol consumed.

That said, does anyone know of studies conducted to test the effects of alcohol on people with Asperger's Syndrome?

On an anecdotal level, I know that in some cases it can help alleviate some of the social issues for some people with AS. But I'd like to see some data.

Also, is there any way of simulating the positive effects of alcohol in people with AS (other than illegal drugs) without actually drinking?

If there are no such studies, perhaps if any researchers are reading this forum, you may look into that.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 3:04 am

alcohol usually puts me in a good mood, and tends to make me more social.
but i don't like to drink all too much. just enough to feel good and be social, but not enough to where my speech starts running together and i'm stumbling over things.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2010, 4:40 am

I don't know of any formal studies, but it makes sense to me that some Aspies might potentially drink more than NTs in order to help overcome social awkwardnes, loneliness or boredom. This is a link to an interesting book I read recently by someone who developed a chronic drink problem in ordedr to cope with AS and nearly died of liver failure, but ultimately lived to tell the tale:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asperger-Syndro ... 775&sr=1-1

Last edited by Locustman on 01 Jul 2010, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2010, 5:08 am

When I was able to tolerate alcohol (it now conflicts in unpleasant ways with my current medication), I found that I was much more social when slightly buzzed and willing to take part in social events than I was when stone cold sober.
However, too much alcohol makes an idiot out of anyone (NT or Aspie) so it is a matter of finding that balance where you are buzzed enough to feel comfortable in social situations but not too drunk to make a fool of yourself.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 5:29 am

ad2009 wrote:
On an anecdotal level, I know that in some cases it can help alleviate some of the social issues for some people with AS. But I'd like to see some data.

The problem is that alcohol gives that impression to people who are drinking it, and can become a serious problem for people who take it for effect. Most people end up drinking too much and too often, because it is very pleasant and so available.

Alcohol certainly makes people feel that social interaction is easier, but it does not improve the quality of that social interaction at all - the stressed-out and anxious sober interaction is worth far more than any amount of drunken superficial interaction.

If you need to deal with anxiety issues, then learning relaxation techniques or using controlled doses of medication are safer and more effective.

ad2009
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2010, 11:48 am

I appreciate all of the responses. But like I said, I know that most people will say that in moderation it helps them at least to an extent (superficial or otherwise). What I am trying to do is see if there has been any research done on that in relation to "Aspies." For example are the parts of the brain effected by AS changed after alcohol consumption? If so, is there a way of figuring out how alchohol makes those brain changes and then creating a prescription to simulate the effect (without actually getting drunk or even buzzed).

ad2009
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2010, 7:56 pm

Any additional comments?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 10:59 pm

ad2009 wrote:
What I am trying to do is see if there has been any research done on that in relation to "Aspies." For example are the parts of the brain effected by AS changed after alcohol consumption? If so, is there a way of figuring out how alchohol makes those brain changes and then creating a prescription to simulate the effect (without actually getting drunk or even buzzed).

I seriously doubt any such studies are even really possible. Even A.A. has never come up with anything more than to quote this from a doctor:

"The classification of alcoholics seems most difficult, and in much detail is outside the scope of this book. There are, of course, the psychopaths who are emotionally unstable. We are all familiar with this type. They are always 'going on the wagon for keeps.' They are over-remorseful and make many resolutions, but never a decision.
"There is the type of man who is unwilling to admit that he cannot take a drink. He plans various ways of drinking. He changes his brand or environment. There is the type who always believes that after being entirely free from alcohol for a period of time he can take a drink without danger. There is the manic-depressive type, who is, perhaps, the least understood by his friends, and about whom a whole chapter could be written.
"Then there are types entirely normal in every respect except in the effect alcohol has upon them. They are often able, intelligent, friendly people ..."

If the effect of alcohol could have been controlled, many of us would have written a book about that very long ago ... and if the effect of alcohol could have been achieved without drinking, the book we *did* write would never have been either necessary or possible.