Religion (or lack thereof) and Autism/Asperger's?

Page 22 of 24 [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next


(People with Autism/Aspergers Only) Religion or Not?
I am very religious, and attend religious services/meetings as often as possible. 9%  9%  [ 54 ]
I am religious, but do not always attend religious services/meetings. 8%  8%  [ 43 ]
I am religious, and attend meetings/services on occasion. 2%  2%  [ 14 ]
I am religious, but I rarely attend meetings/services. 9%  9%  [ 51 ]
I am confused in this area. 6%  6%  [ 35 ]
I am agnostic. 24%  24%  [ 135 ]
I am atheist. 42%  42%  [ 239 ]
Total votes : 571

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 102
Location: Kentucky

28 Jun 2013, 7:10 am

@aghogaday

I'm always open to exploring new ideas. I just got home from work and need to decompress, but I will read it later.


_________________
?To be yourself in a world that is
constantly trying to make you
something else is the greatest
accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,272

28 Jun 2013, 7:29 am

Teasaidh wrote:
@aghogaday

I'm always open to exploring new ideas. I just got home from work and need to decompress, but I will read it later.


Thanks, that is probably a good idea, because it is a little riveting, in parts. As a note, all of the designs in poetry were not planned, they flowed from creativity. It was interesting to me to see the shapes of the chalices, crosses, and bells, as an after effect. All archetypes of religion since many years before our current day religions.

I still consider myself a classical Pantheist, even with the specific "christian" analogies.

I have never written anything close to poetry until the last four months. My communication has been described as computer like, or research paper-like in analogy more often than any other description.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,832
Location: Sweden

28 Jun 2013, 7:47 am

The poll is setup to reflect NT-typical religious beliefs and practises, and as such says nothing about Aspie specific religious beliefs (superstition and privat (non-social) religious beliefs), By setting up biased polls it is possible to prove anything.



Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jun 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 102
Location: Kentucky

28 Jun 2013, 7:58 am

I wrote poetry for years when I was growing up. I tried to keep a traditional diary, but I hated writing the entries. I started writing poems instead. They don't always address the specific events occurring at that time, but they remind me of the emotions I was experiencing and help me recapture the memories.


_________________
?To be yourself in a world that is
constantly trying to make you
something else is the greatest
accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


1needausername
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 16

28 Jun 2013, 9:44 am

Quote:
But I find atheism every bit as ignorant and closed-minded as any fundamentalist Christian or Muslim ever was. Insisting that there can be no creator without absolute proof that none exists is an act of faith, not science.


I think that's a bit of a straw man. I'm not denying there are poorly reasoned "atheists" who say "god doesn't exist in the absence of evidence".

Most "atheists" are in fact "agnostic atheists" though. Richard Dawkins is an example. I can't post a video or link but "You Tube" Dawkins and agnosticism. He calls himself a 6.9 out of 7 on his "there is a god" to "there in no god" scale. In other words, he thinks it's extremely unlikely the universe was created by some god. However, he operates as if there is no god.

I do find the question of is there or isn't there a god a bit dubious though. If there is a god there is a way to prove that god in a way that everybody, to the exclusion of perhaps the severely mentally handicapped, could understand.

Let's suppose for a second, god doesn't exist. How would you prove god doesn't exist if "he" doesn't exist? In other words, how do you prove a negative? What test would you devise? What evidence would you cite?

I find the fact that there are hundreds if not thousands of theistic creation type stories telling. Many of these creation type stories are mutually exclusive.

How does the Christian god coexist with the Hindu gods? Can Vishnu and Brahma the creators explain why we're here? Why does the Christian story make more sense than the Hindu one? What evidence would we cite, aside from self-referential religious texts, to justify one belief over another?

I suppose it's possible the Christian god created our universe. However, I also know the "space" that Christian god could occupy is rapidly shrinking.


_________________
AQ = 32-38
RAADS-R = 163
Aspie Quiz = 148/200
MBTI = INTJ


TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,061

28 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

The kicker for me was discovering evolution at school at around age 11, realising that all the stuff I'd been fed up to that point about a god creating the Earth and Adam and Eve etc was just mythology. Since God didn't create mankind or any other living creatures on the planet the idea of a god became redundant and irrelevant so consequently I'm atheist. The slight twist is that I'm actually Zen Buddhist / Atheist... but that is a whole different topic. :lol:


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,272

28 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

Teasaidh wrote:
I wrote poetry for years when I was growing up. I tried to keep a traditional diary, but I hated writing the entries. I started writing poems instead. They don't always address the specific events occurring at that time, but they remind me of the emotions I was experiencing and help me recapture the memories.


When I told my therapist I was doing poetry they were amazed because they said it was evidence that I was connecting language to emotions again, after not doing it for 5 years.

It's not even something they imagined suggesting I do to help me with Alexithymia. It has made a huge difference in the way I view the world, as a feeling rather than stale place.

I'm pretty sure that most of the stories of the bible and other religious text is a symbolic search of an inner journey to find a soul, linked backed to emotion, as a start, and then spread to others as a message.

There is a consistent conflict of mind and emotion with human beings, that increases as time goes by, as a result of collective intelligence new byproducts of culture.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,272

28 Jun 2013, 7:53 pm

1needausername wrote:
Quote:
But I find atheism every bit as ignorant and closed-minded as any fundamentalist Christian or Muslim ever was. Insisting that there can be no creator without absolute proof that none exists is an act of faith, not science.


I think that's a bit of a straw man. I'm not denying there are poorly reasoned "atheists" who say "god doesn't exist in the absence of evidence".

Most "atheists" are in fact "agnostic atheists" though. Richard Dawkins is an example. I can't post a video or link but "You Tube" Dawkins and agnosticism. He calls himself a 6.9 out of 7 on his "there is a god" to "there in no god" scale. In other words, he thinks it's extremely unlikely the universe was created by some god. However, he operates as if there is no god.

I do find the question of is there or isn't there a god a bit dubious though. If there is a god there is a way to prove that god in a way that everybody, to the exclusion of perhaps the severely mentally handicapped, could understand.

Let's suppose for a second, god doesn't exist. How would you prove god doesn't exist if "he" doesn't exist? In other words, how do you prove a negative? What test would you devise? What evidence would you cite?

I find the fact that there are hundreds if not thousands of theistic creation type stories telling. Many of these creation type stories are mutually exclusive.

How does the Christian god coexist with the Hindu gods? Can Vishnu and Brahma the creators explain why we're here? Why does the Christian story make more sense than the Hindu one? What evidence would we cite, aside from self-referential religious texts, to justify one belief over another?

I suppose it's possible the Christian god created our universe. However, I also know the "space" that Christian god could occupy is rapidly shrinking.


Language is a Universe of expression. It starts with the stars, 4 digits. a prehensile thumb. and people sketching angles in sand reflecting connections of stars.

As with the expression of emotion and differing cultural 'artifacts', across cultures, the end result is not always the same, but the start is the same beginning.

People describe it differently and label it differently. That is All.

No one paints the same picture except for One.

Suggesting that God does not exist, is a 'silly' rhetorical argument.

If there was a whole that could communicate. it would laugh back at ya.

Keeping in mind, I Am a classical pantheist...

This is not a personal comment directed at anyone here; it is poetry of how I view IT.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


1needausername
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 16

29 Jun 2013, 12:10 am

There is a whole that can communicate. It's called us.

To quote Carl Sagan, "we are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Pantheism, eh? Based on a cursory search of Wikipedia pantheism is the belief that everything is god. Okay, fine, but then why do we need the concept of god? If everything is god what purpose does it serve?



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,272

29 Jun 2013, 12:54 am

1needausername wrote:
There is a whole that can communicate. It's called us.

To quote Carl Sagan, "we are made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Pantheism, eh? Based on a cursory search of Wikipedia pantheism is the belief that everything is god. Okay, fine, but then why do we need the concept of god? If everything is god what purpose does it serve?


That is what I mean by rhetorical question.

It doesn't take language to see it.
All it takes is perception.

Humans likely do not experience anything of
what some other animals do,

as they are 'blinded' byproducts
of collective intelligence.

I have a good memory
and can still perceive
part of that experience

before I gained
the ability to speak
as a non-verbal child.

That deficit in language
was a gift beyond
my 'wildest' imagination...

It is the beauty of poetry
that lets one see
a larger part of it,

if one is able to listen,
and hear the messages...

By the way, I use a clip from the movie 'Contact', inspired by Carl Sagan, to express this feeling of whole, in my blog over and over. It is my all time favorite 'thought', that expresses what I am saying, in a simple 10 minute video.

It is easier to visit that place than to live there...

That stuff that 'Jesus' and others (the combined effort of the folks that wrote the stories) was talking about that was not 'adulterated'; commercialized out to patriarchs; is a Universal truth... NO ONE can change... it is just a matter of 'tapping' into it... that is the challenge....

There are no two paths that are the same...
and there are no two paths that are separate...

It is 'questions' like that...
that can take one there...

In a "Twitter-Verse",
the Camel is bigger
than ever before...

and eye of needle is closing in...to closed...

The only escape now is language,

most ironically...


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,761
Location: Washington, D.C.

29 Jun 2013, 12:58 am

Hippocrates is quoted as saying "The soul is the same in all living creatures although the body of each is different."


_________________
Impermanence.


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,272

29 Jun 2013, 1:20 am

justkillingtime wrote:
Hippocrates is quoted as saying "The soul is the same in all living creatures although the body of each is different."


It's easier to see that without clothes...:)


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,761
Location: Washington, D.C.

29 Jun 2013, 1:55 am

The furry, feathery and scaley among us are better off without clothes. Yesh.


_________________
Impermanence.


ThePaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 9 May 2013
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 27

29 Jun 2013, 5:58 am

Coldkick wrote:
They are finding more and more scientific proof that the Bible's information is actually 100% true. The only really unexplainable thing in the Bible is the Great Flood because not all animals could get there within the allotted time unless the even occurred when the earth was still in Pangaea stage, which predates recorded humans.


Working physicist here.

There's no evidence for anything from Genesis. It didn't happen.

Sorry :(



WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2013
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 261

29 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

Atheist here. I try to respect other people who are religious, but sometimes find they try to make me 'convert'. Actually I'm not sure it's called 'trying to make me convert' as they some say they're not trying to, but they say things like 'having a religion makes you feel better and you'll suffer less issues such as anxiety'. My thoughts on this is that it's not going to help, sure perhaps it's psychological but there's other ways of thinking I can use to feel better psychologically with issues without religion.


_________________
A smile costs nothing :)


littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,338

29 Jun 2013, 10:29 am

Aghoday wrote:

Quote:
Language is a Universe of expression. It starts with the stars, 4 digits. a prehensile thumb. and people sketching angles in sand reflecting connections of stars.


This is beautiful...

and also this:

1needausername wrote:

Quote:
There is a whole that can communicate. It's called us