What are your favorite big cities in the U.S.?

Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 12:20 pm

I like New Orleans. Umm...I haven't been to many big cities. I enjoy most everywhere I go, but haven't visited many 'big' cities.

I don't like Dallas or Washington DC.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 3:01 pm

Chicago
Boston
New York
Charlotte
Nashville

Never really been out west, but I would really like to see L.A., Seattle, Houston amd St Louis.

Not really a fan of Atlanta.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2010, 5:31 pm

I liked Phoenix, AZ while I was there..

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 2:20 am

Las Vegas, Nevada. I love all the lights and sounds. I felt sad when my mom told me that the slot machines don't pour out coins anymore, because that was my favorite sound of all.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:05 am

IdahoRose wrote:
Las Vegas, Nevada. I love all the lights and sounds. I felt sad when my mom told me that the slot machines don't pour out coins anymore, because that was my favorite sound of all.

That kind of noise kills me! :x

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:40 pm

Kaysea wrote:
Seattle - very progressive/friendly, clean and one can see snow-capped mountains from downtown. I like the music scene in Boston, but (outside of back bay) the area has a bit of that pretenscious (sp?) New England vibe. There are some pretty parts of Washington, DC around the gov't buildings, but the rest of the city is very slummy. Other large cities tend to leave something to be desired. Downtown Austin is nice, but the proliferation of strip malls on the outskirts left a bad taste in my mouth and it probably doesn't qualify as a major city.

Caviat: I'm more of a country boy, even though I now live in a decent-sized city.

I got to defend my city (DC). Most people who come by car or train go through some pretty crappy neighborhoods. They are fewer and fewer these days. Other neighborhoods are quite nice. I live in Glover Park, an affluent (if stale) neighborhood. I plan to move to Columbia Heights area, a pretty diverse neighborhood with a hipster vibe. There are more good parts of DC than bad parts. You just need to know where to look.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 6:52 pm

what do you call big?

L.A., New York, Chicago, Boston, SF, Portland, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Seattle.

small cities: Austin, Providence.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 6:11 pm

I love Providence. I used to live there, but it's been a little too prettified in the last 20 years. It was better when it was a gritty, decaying industrial town. :)

Of the cities I know well, I like Boston, and, perhaps surprisingly, Houston. It's easygoing and cheap, with a lot of strange artist types.

I live in NYC and don't like it much at all. It's a very angry, competitive, expensive city.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 6:36 pm

I love LA and Beverly Hills. I live about half an hour away from there, minus the insane traffic.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 6:56 pm

San Francisco, New York City, Minneapolis, Seattle, Chicago...

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:16 pm

Auchtermuchty.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:16 pm

This should be in the random forum.

coatesdj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2010, 2:01 am

Chicago. (Lived there for six years). Detroit. New York. Las Vegas sometimes. Kansas City sometimes. Certainly Portland, although I haven't been there for ten years.

I find it much easier to deal with cities that have discernable street patterns, so cities like Boston and most cities in the South with streets going off every which way frustrate me, because there is no rule or set of rules I can learn to find my way around like:

-the east-west avenue progression in New York

-the grid + radial system of Chicago where all addresses are measured from the intersection of State and Madison and there are always eight blocks to a mile

-the strip + radial + mile road system of Detroit where all addresses are measured from where Woodward would have intersected the north bank of the Detroit River, Warren delineates where an NSEW grid begins to be overlaid on older streets, and once you get six miles north of downtown EW streets have convenient names like "Six Mile Road."

I just got back from a week out East and found that the way I tend to think in terms of compass directions does not really compute with Bostonians, who tend to give directions in terms of landmarks, which I guess I can understand but which sets up certain failures to communicate the way navigating Manhattan north of Houston Street, or Minneapolis (near where I am now) south of Grant Street, or virtually all of Chicago, or those big square Western cities with their planned street grids never could.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2010, 7:31 am

lotuspuppy wrote:
Kaysea wrote:
Seattle - very progressive/friendly, clean and one can see snow-capped mountains from downtown. I like the music scene in Boston, but (outside of back bay) the area has a bit of that pretenscious (sp?) New England vibe. There are some pretty parts of Washington, DC around the gov't buildings, but the rest of the city is very slummy. Other large cities tend to leave something to be desired. Downtown Austin is nice, but the proliferation of strip malls on the outskirts left a bad taste in my mouth and it probably doesn't qualify as a major city.

Caviat: I'm more of a country boy, even though I now live in a decent-sized city.

I got to defend my city (DC). Most people who come by car or train go through some pretty crappy neighborhoods. They are fewer and fewer these days. Other neighborhoods are quite nice. I live in Glover Park, an affluent (if stale) neighborhood. I plan to move to Columbia Heights area, a pretty diverse neighborhood with a hipster vibe. There are more good parts of DC than bad parts. You just need to know where to look.

Unfortunately, there probably aren't many cities in the U.S. that can give one a good urban experience like D.C. Some people may be thinking of D.C. from way back when it was the murder capital. Right now it has a good Urban Core. Col Hts and U St are still somewhat edgy. For better (or worse) D.C. is being gentrified quickly. H St next. And won't be that long before D.C. has a pretty extensive streetcar system.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

modcom77
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

San Francisco because it's the only big city I can visit regularly (as in a 45 min subway ride). I also like New York a lot, and I've also wanted to visit Chicago.

Last edited by modcom77 on 15 Jan 2014, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 2:29 pm

I like Denver, Colorado....it can be quite the interesting place.