Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 6:03 pm

i do :) they did try to get me in somekind of asisted living wich i turned down i dont want anyone to controll my money's bills or me not after 11 years of that s**t :evil:

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 6:15 pm

Under certain circumstances, yes I can.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 5:55 am

Wedge wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
anbuend wrote:
No.

But none of you who said you do live independently either. It's impossible.

The line between independent and dependent in most people's minds, isn't based on who is independent and who is dependent, it is based on whether the person needs certain kinds of help that are commonplace and unremarked upon, or whether the person also needs kinds of help that are not commonplace.

In other words, an illusion. Everyone is dependent/interdependent, not independent. Independence is a societal lie.

Sure, in the strict sense of the word nobody's 100% independent. That would amount to being completely alone all the time, with complete self-sufficiency, growing your own food, generating your own power, etc. But here, "are you independent" means "do you need significantly more help than most people would, for your general living tasks?" There are degrees of independence.

That said, it's amazing how people can imagine themselves to be totally independent when a moment's reflection would tell them that nobody is. Perhaps that's why so many people think that competition is the solution to our economic woes rather than the problem....dependency expresses itself through co-operation, not through competition, or so I would have thought.

Ohh no that is Karl Marx!! !

"The human being is in the most literal sense a political animal not merely a gregarious animal, but an animal which can individuate itself only in the midst of society. Production by an isolated individual outside society ... is as much of an absurdity as is the development of language without individuals living together and talking to each other."

Marx, The Grundrisse (1857)

I didn't realise that when I wrote it, but it figures. I've always felt that Marx was a very perceptive man.....Labour Theory of Value, Inevitability of Crisis Under Capitalism....mmmmmm! 8)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:18 am

Independent means topic

I have been on my own for 38 years and have raised three children alone. I have worked for most of this time, and even supported a spouse for ten of those years when he refused to financially contribute. Then I got burned out and am on partial disability, but I maintain my own home and still support my two teens until they finish school.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 11:43 am

After my late lover died I discovered that, no, I really can't live independently. Until then, I had always had someone else around - family, roommates, boyfriend - SOMEone.

When I actually was entirely on my own, I discovered that I was unable to focus on anything - house was so dirty that it was unhealthy, couldn't manage my money, didn't pay bills on time, neglected my dogs' health, neglected the yard, would forget to eat until I was weak, personal hygiene went to pot, etc. It was not pretty.

Also, while I don't require much social contact, human beings do require some ,and I ended up having zero social life for a year and a half - the only people I saw were at work (where it was entirely possible for me to go an entire week without actually speaking to any of my co-workers) or the grocery store. I am quite sure this extreme isolation contributed to my entering a severe episode of depression.

I guess that, if I can get my executive dysfunction under control I'd be ok, but until I do that - no.

Aquais94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm

I can live on my own and I am also capable to live on my own. I can Cook, clean, pay bills, and also Get a job easily. Also, I got a girlfriend which I would ask her about she can be my room mate. I decided to learn a lot, because I experienced traumatic events in my entire life, when I got into trouble, my parents would yell at me. And my teacher forced me to read social stories. I was so mad, and later, I got very depressed about that incident. I am done with her. If I move out on my own, I would have a chance to have a better life. Sorry for saying mean comments, if you find it mean.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Mar 2013, 12:04 am

Willard wrote:

Not day to day, as in feeding, bathing and dressing myself - my problem has always been functioning socially well enough to maintain gainful employment. I can pay the bills on time, if I can keep a job. But I can't keep a job... :oops:

This.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:11 am

I am ok with things when I am physically well as I have my own creative ways of working around any functioning issues I might have (such as my short attention span for things that don't interest me...I find ways of making them more fun or interesting and that seems to do the trick) so yes I do live independently in the sense that I live alone and like it that way. Much less stressful.

I do unfortunately live the life of a hermit though due to my social difficulties and I am stuck on disability at the moment. My physical health issues have not helped there though!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 2:46 am

I can manage day to day life just fine, just not financially right now, so I'm living with family for a bit while I get back on track and stack some coin.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 4:24 am

It didn't happen until I turned 23 and was touch and go for a few years after, but I have lived independently since 1985.
I have always kept it very, very simple. That's what's helped me maintain it. Keeping it simple. Yeah, I sometimes feel like I'm hanging by a thread and it'll all come crashing down around me, but so far, so good.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:28 am

I can clean, cook, do laundry, take out the garbage, and shop. I'm 19 and still unemployed though. I can't support myself financially. I don't know how to manage bank accounts and pay bills. I can't do yard work either.

If I were living in an apartment I wouldn't have to do any gardening so that'd be one thing out of the way. I can maintain a living space. The one thing in my way of living independently is being able to pay for a living space.

I'm on a waiting list for low income housing and I'm collecting ODSP. I plan to get the hang of living away from my parents that way. I'll still be trying to get a job but I'm going to do a trial first on ODSP and housing support.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2013, 9:44 am

I used to be very dependent on my parents as a child (for my age at the time that is) but now I crave independence. I can look after myself and am looking to move out as soon as possible.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:50 am

Before I had crippling anxiety, I was living alone at college. Now, I'm living with my parents. I plan on living on my own again while going to college next semester.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

28 Mar 2013, 10:08 am

Supposedly, no. Fortunately, I had parents who didn't care so no one stopped me from doing it anyway since I was 18. I recently went through an "are you read to live independently?" checklist in an AS book and failed every section except the hygiene one.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2013, 11:44 am

I'm not that great with housekeeping, but other than that, I'm definitely capable of living on my own. (only reason I'm not currently doing so is financial issues which aren't entirely under my control)

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2013, 12:37 pm

I've not done well living independently.

At college I lived on campus and got sick often, mostly due to my eating habits, and I do not drive so I had to bike/walk around campus and to food stores/shopping outlets. I also lived alone for about a year renting from my father (I'm pretty sure he is AS also) and I had no heat the entire time, and he didn't come to fix it despite my requests, and he also wouldn't allow any handymen on the property. My solution was to buy a space heater for my room and just cook in the kitchen with my coat on. I did well paying my bills and cleaning, but I'm at a loss for fixing anything aside from computers or small mechanical things, it turned out that the natural gas was just turned off outside from the previous winter.

I am married now and live with my wife at my father's home and I think we could live on our own now because we assist each other on our weak-points (mine is mostly driving and managing the small things, but her weakness is bills and cleaning). She actually scored higher on AS tests than I did and is currently diagnosed "disabled" with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Agoraphobia, I'm pretty sure she is AS too though, but she hasn't done well living on her own in the past either (just a few months at a time). I'm confident we could do really well together, but living alone isn't a feasible option for us right now. I'd like to learn to drive as well, but it is very overwhelming (my grandfather didn't drive till he was 40, he was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, but I'm pretty sure he was AS as well).