Obsession resulting in "evil" intentions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:53 am

Did any of your obsessions in the past (or present) result in seemlingly "evil" intentions? I quoted the word because I don't think its really evil its just that you are caught up in your obsessions and not thinking about what you are actually doing.

Here's my example. I often have obsession with statistics and numbers and during the SARS epidemic, I had some "evil" intentions. My family just came back from Hong Kong after visiting family and we were pretty much the last people that didn't need to quarantine. So I was obsessed with hearing about people getting infected and stuff and maybe this was my imagination, but I thought I felt a little bit of coughing and so I thought I had SARS. I remember I was at church (an area that was crowded) and I think I may have purposely coughed without covering my mouth, and feeling "power and control" hoping to hear that my deliberate spreading of SARS had an impact on the statistics. I felt really bad some time afterwards because it felt like I was attempting to infect as much people as possible all because of my obsesssion with hearing that people got infected. This was in grade 7. I don't think i ended up actually infected with SARS. It was probably just my imagination.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 12:03 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Did any of your obsessions in the past (or present) result in seemlingly "evil" intentions?

I can not relate to it, but I have heard similar: "A young man with Asperger syndrome rang his favourite Aunt to say that her husband had been killed in a road traffic accident on
his way home from work. The report was a complete fabrication as became apparent an hour later when his Uncle arrived home."
http://www.autismuk.com/index%20tatum.htm

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm

You could say that my carnal desires do scare away quite a few women, amazes me how Amy puts up with me as a friend sometimes.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2010, 12:55 pm

StuartN wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Did any of your obsessions in the past (or present) result in seemlingly "evil" intentions?

I can not relate to it, but I have heard similar: "A young man with Asperger syndrome rang his favourite Aunt to say that her husband had been killed in a road traffic accident on
his way home from work. The report was a complete fabrication as became apparent an hour later when his Uncle arrived home."
http://www.autismuk.com/index%20tatum.htm

Interesting link. I can't relate to the "gratuitous malice", as I believe the source phrased it, but certainly the idea of doing things with potentially negative results to see "what would happen". For example, I was playing a video game and wanted to see if walking off a cliff with one of my buildings would destroy the building. It was totally pointless but I was curious about it. Sometimes I think about doing something 'dangerous' and end up actually do it -- when I was 10 or thereabouts I had a "favourite dime" (I had a very strange affinity for it) and ended up dropping it off a bridge because of this sort of compulsion :). I think this could apply to the idea that the OP mentioned, and those mentioned in the article.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 1:01 pm

My Austin Powers obsession did that to me. I became so caught up in it, that I became him, along with his Mojo.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 1:14 pm

I became so obbsessed with Alice and Wonderland that i started to believe I was the Mad Hatter, then I developed mind controlling devices and wreaked havoc on the city of Gotham as I tried to make my fantasy a reality. I stole peoples minds and used them to live out my own thoughts, only Batman could stop me.

Numerous occasions, Batman would foil my plans, until eventualy he caught me and sent me to Arkham Asylum. I was still convinced I was the Mad Hatter, I thought everyone else was mad for not realising this. I used my Mind control skills to escape from the hospital numerous times, but everytime I did, Batman would stop me.

It took me years to get over my obbsession, in many ways it completely ruined my life.

(this is an artists sketch of me, during one of my fights with batman)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 3:34 pm

Leekduck wrote:
I became so obbsessed with Alice and Wonderland that i started to believe I was the Mad Hatter, then I developed mind controlling devices and wreaked havoc on the city of Gotham as I tried to make my fantasy a reality. I stole peoples minds and used them to live out my own thoughts, only Batman could stop me.

Numerous occasions, Batman would foil my plans, until eventualy he caught me and sent me to Arkham Asylum. I was still convinced I was the Mad Hatter, I thought everyone else was mad for not realising this. I used my Mind control skills to escape from the hospital numerous times, but everytime I did, Batman would stop me.

It took me years to get over my obbsession, in many ways it completely ruined my life.

:D If you happen to run into Harley Quinn, would you please get me her email address?

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:06 pm

Willard wrote:
Leekduck wrote:

:D If you happen to run into Harley Quinn, would you please get me her email address?

Will Do :D

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:26 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
My Austin Powers obsession did that to me. I became so caught up in it, that I became him, along with his Mojo.

there's nothing wrong with a bit of Mojo.... :)

Taking a break.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:11 pm

Leekduck wrote:

Y'know what's weird? I just got done reading your Wikipedia article earlier today. :o

Back on topic: Although I wasn't really obsessed with it, I used to love the show Emergency Vets on the Animal Planet channel when I was a kid. I used to wish that one of my pets would become ill or injured so that we could go on the show (even though we didn't live anywhere near the Alameda East clinic, haha). I wanted to have my pet treated by Dr. Fitzgerald since he was my favorite veterinarian. In retrospect, it was pretty horrible of me to wish harm on my pets just so that I could be on TV and meet my favorite veterinarian.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:26 pm

This thread is filling up with win very quickly.