Sibblings or lose family out growing you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 2:00 am

growing up i didn't really have any friends but I got along with and played with my two nieces. they were more like siblings and the closest thing to real friends I have ever had. but now they are getting older and it kinda feels like they out grew me. I don't connect with them like I used to and it feels a lot hard for me to communicate with them and I am not sure why. I am 23 and they are 16 and 19l Has anyone else gone through this? It eels like they have matured and I am still stuck. I guess as kids they didn't care about listening to my obsessive interests and we played games strictly scripted around them. Now they are older things are different.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 3:50 am

Sometimes I worry that my younger brother will "outgrow" me (he's 16), but he still seems to love me and he still wants to spend time with me, so I doubt that will happen.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 4:41 am

I have an older sister, 2 younger sisters and, a brother the youngest who is 10 years younger then me. They have all moved away and, more then likely don't want to deal with me. I even keep an account open in WoW so my little brother can talk to me. Since he moved to Texas and, got a girlfriend who won't let him play when she's around. I never get to see him anymore.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:16 am

We've grown apart. My little bro 'outgrew' me socially back when we were in highschool. Now though, I find his lifestyle juvenile and I'm the one with the career plan. Maybe he'll overtake me again some day, but I don't really care. We're not close and I don't look up to him anymore.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:28 am

My little sister outgrew me, when I was in Grade 8 and she was in Grade 6. She became really into the world, and the latest fashions and music. I've just discovered this wonderful decade for music and fashion, called the 1960s. I guess that I outgrew my sister, at the same time. We grew apart, that year.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:31 am

Most definitely. I felt it distinctly when my youngest brother (4 years younger) got his driver's license and I still didn't have mine.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 10:19 am

ASdogGeek wrote:
... the closest thing to real friends I have ever had. but now they are getting older and it kinda feels like they out grew me.

I used to feel that way in relation to my three brothers, all younger, but now I think they just "grew" in a different and distracting direction relationally while "growing" into their own understandings of "success" in life. In other words: This world attracts and draws people into "success" at the expense of what really is important, and now it is my brothers who do not understand why we are all no longer close.

Underachiever
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2010, 11:50 am

My sister and I almost quit speaking to each other because we didn't have anything in common anymore. We ended up still remaining friends, though.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 2:08 pm

My neice was basicaly like a little sister to me and we spent hours playing with my meerkat stuffed animals and was basically my "mini me". She is almost an adult and it is abosuetly amazing how she has changed. She talks about her friends non stop (who are these friends?) and reports some of them are her friends from early elementry school. How was she able to keep them that long? What really irks me is how she lets herself get sucked into fads such as Silly Bands and Twlight. The silly bands one is acutually kinda cute but the Twlight one irks me.

My true siblings are older than me and the middle one and I used to always go out and do things together even after he got married but once he had kids and became a workaholic we don't do that anymore.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 3:16 pm

My younger nt sister seems much older than me. :(

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 5:03 pm

I don't have any younger siblings, but I am really close to my cousins who are 11 and 13. I can see being friends with the 13 year old for a long time because we have so much in common and I think he also has AS. But I keep thinking that the 11 year old might outgrow us both at some point. I'm not too worried about it right now though, I'm enjoying my time with them. :)

My other cousins, aged 15 and 18 have already outgrown me, but I haven't seen them for many years so it doesn't really bother me too much. Except when my gramma is going on about their accomplishments and I think maybe she's disappointed in me. :(

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:59 pm

Rakshasa72 wrote:
I have an older sister, 2 younger sisters and, a brother the youngest who is 10 years younger then me. They have all moved away and, more then likely don't want to deal with me. I even keep an account open in WoW so my little brother can talk to me. Since he moved to Texas and, got a girlfriend who won't let him play when she's around. I never get to see him anymore.

Totally off-topic but.. cool murloc!! !! !!

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 8:44 pm

My 7- and 9-year old sisters are starting to surpass me socially; especially the 9-year-old. She's starting to notice that something's different about me. I hope it doesn't make her look up to me any less.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:01 pm

It feels like my sister should be the older one, and I should be the younger one. She has a 1 year old daughter, and I'm an aunt, but I feel more like a cousin. My little sister, is married, with a child. Any girl who's had a baby, is a woman, in my opinion. :)

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2010, 9:54 pm

Yep, my little bro (15) has outgrown me (21), we mostly fight these days and have nothing in common like we used to. Now he hangs out with his cousin (20) who also outgrew me. Really brings me down when I think about it :(

Last edited by CobaltBlew on 17 Jul 2010, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 10:08 pm

I've had this with a friend. Growing up we'd call each other hang out play with toys/see movies etc. Then we just quit. I saw her sparingly here/there and back in May saw her (she'll be 20 in Sept.) I've been trying to get with her all summer to do something but it's always busy/next weekend etc. So I feel We've outgrown each other (the last thing I remember doing with her as friends is seeing the 1st Spider-man movie and I spent the night at her house that was YEARS ago.) Now she has a car in college/boyfriend etc. What happen to calling Brandy hey lets hang out can I come over etc? :-(