What was your first few interests in elementary?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 2:32 am

My first three would be

drawing houses (usually just the front of the house)
writing poetry (I like to think it was alright, but who knows- loved the paterns and new words that could be found)
stereo equipment (still my interest though I don't have a collection as I used to growing up- I would by tons and tons of speakers to fill my room with)

What early interests do you still have today?

Which interests could have turned into a career?

Does anyone have a success story about pursuing a topic since childhood? (career)

harlequinsenor
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2010, 3:24 am

Egyptology, astronomy, and.... archaeology in general...

Relevant, I suppose because I've managed to get a degree in a relevant field.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:28 am

First obsessions, starting before elementary but continued into it (and beyond):

- Cats
- Drawing
- Music

And, I usually drew cats (some with wings), but also known cartoon characters, particularly the Road Runner.

I wanted to be a veterinarian (like a lot of kids) until about 12 when I decided I wanted to be a writer, and probably should have become a vet because much later on I became obsessed with snakes, and this area (and many others) could really use some herp vets. Physical injuries got in my way of life during what should have been my university years. I ended up going to college instead to take Web Design once I was able to go back to school.

As for music, I'm just a huge fan, and I'm not coordinated enough to master an instrument, although I still have my guitar and pick it up occasionally in spurts.

I don't draw like I did (turned into painting later), but the creative side never went away, just the formats have changed.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:32 am

-Rabbits
-Drawing
-Electricity/electronics

I still draw now and then, and I'm still on the path to making a career out of the third one. :D

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:42 am

Blasty wrote:
-Rabbits
-Drawing
-Electricity/electronics

I still draw now and then, and I'm still on the path to making a career out of the third one. :D

where are you at currently with making that a career? I love how electronics are put together and the many different designs but I HATE electronic conversions -.-

I was kind of wondering if there are any other degree besides electrical engineering that would enable me to work along side the design process for stereo systems (car, shelf, surround, w.e....)

possibly ergonomics...but that's kind of a hard degree to find a credible school that issues- I live in washington state but don't want to get loans to go to a college and get a degree that isn't going to fit my interests, so just going to community college at the moment and working...hopefully my community GPA will hep me get into some scholarship, or I find a degree i'm willing to take the financial dive into.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:45 am

MechAnime wrote:
First obsessions, starting before elementary but continued into it (and beyond):

- Cats
- Drawing
- Music

And, I usually drew cats (some with wings), but also known cartoon characters, particularly the Road Runner.

I wanted to be a veterinarian (like a lot of kids) until about 12 when I decided I wanted to be a writer, and probably should have become a vet because much later on I became obsessed with snakes, and this area (and many others) could really use some herp vets. Physical injuries got in my way of life during what should have been my university years. I ended up going to college instead to take Web Design once I was able to go back to school.

As for music, I'm just a huge fan, and I'm not coordinated enough to master an instrument, although I still have my guitar and pick it up occasionally in spurts.

I don't draw like I did (turned into painting later), but the creative side never went away, just the formats have changed.

what do you usually paint? or when you used to paint what would you paint? I can't paint well at all...I used to be very good at drawing with a gel pen, black with the gold writing on it...forgot the name but it is still my favorite pen. However I broke my right hand and ever since then my drawing hasn't been the same =( very unfortunate....though I can still draw alright now...just alot more difficult to have good pen control now.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:52 am

liveandletdie wrote:
where are you at currently with making that a career? I love how electronics are put together and the many different designs but I HATE electronic conversions -.-

I'm currently after a BS in Electrical Engineering during the school year, and I've also been working on and off at a small, local PCB assembly company, which involves both assembling and repairing/testing things.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with my degree once I get it. The great thing about it is that there are so many choices.

Last edited by Blasty on 18 Jul 2010, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:55 am

- Balto (link)
- Wolves
- Pokemon

Due to my interest in Balto, I wanted to be a musher; in other words, a dogsled racer. I wanted to compete in and win the Iditarod Dogsled Race they hold in Nome, Alaska.

My interest in wolves made me want to study them and befriend them, like Jane Goodall did with chimpanzees.

I know now that it's impossible to have a career built around Pokemon, but I hoped against hope that they actually existed somewhere and that once they were discovered, school would be all about becoming a Pokemon trainer instead of studying things like math and history.

Of course, none of these dreams were realized. They've all fallen by the wayside because I'm no longer interested in pursuing them (and in the third case, because it couldn't happen in reality).

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 4:22 am

Panda and boys

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 4:35 am

Blasty wrote:
liveandletdie wrote:

I'm currently after a BS in Electrical Engineering during the school year, and I've also been working on and off at a small, local PCB assembly company, which involves both assembling and repairing/testing things.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with my degree once I get it. The great thing about it is that there are so many choices.

ya my friends dad who just died a few months ago was an electrical engineer for boeing, made around 300k a year...which is pretty dang good imo...course he had been working there 15-20 but still quite a pay.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 4:44 am

I can only remember two special interests: calculus and drawing maps. Neither could've turned into a career even if I had continued to like them cause I'm blind and when calculus becomes mathematics it's suddenly inaccessible to most blind people. Maybe if I really wanted it I coudl've pursued it, but I lost those interests by seventh grade.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:08 am

medieval history/knights
cats
Ninja Turtles
Japan
Nothing I've found useful but I still love history.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:32 am

I used to enjoy writing stories when I was in the 3rd - 4th grades. At that time I was convinced that I was going to be a published author. I still have an interest in writing stories, though.

Also, during my latter years in elementary school, I was obsessed with the Titanic. I was even planning on writing a story about a girl who sailed on the Titanic, but I never got around to doing that. I do remember checking out a lot of books from the library on the Titanic.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:54 am

drawing. around 6th grade I picked up an interest in house plans, and pretty much simultaneously realized that I wasn't really all that good at drawing pretty pictures, so I started drawing floor plans. Still have the floor plan thing - both looking at, and creating them.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 6:33 am

In elementary school it was science in general. I remember as early as kindergarden, the library gave away a bunch of old books and I got all the science ones.

It was later on in Junior High that my interest narrowed to birds/nature.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 6:34 am

Ladybugs
Drawing
The Dukes of Hazzard
Babies