Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:08 am

I know echolalia is when you repeat what others say, but is there a term for repeating something you yourself said to someone over and over again?

Does anyone else have a big problem with this? I don't know why I do it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:12 am

The term is "aspergers"

My Dad does it. Guess I may also.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2010, 12:14 am

I do it from time to time.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:19 am

hale_bopp wrote:
The term is "aspergers"

Asperger's is a collection of behaviors, it isn't the singular behaviour of repeating things over and over.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:21 am

buryuntime wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
The term is "aspergers"

Asperger's is a collection of behaviors, it isn't the singular behaviour of repeating things over and over.

It was a joke, but sorry. I'm not sure.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:26 am

hale_bopp wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
The term is "aspergers"

It was a joke, but sorry. I'm not sure.

Oh. :silent: But yeah, I'd still like to know if there was a term for it-- or a way to stop doing it, or at least some explanation for why it happens.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:29 am

I sometimes do that by myself when I'm thinking about an earlier exchange. I usually am wondering if what I said sounded okay or whether I should have said something better. I repeat what I said in order to hear myself as they would have heard me, so I can evaluate it.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:31 am

I thought that was also a form of echolalia, but I'm likely to be wrong. Up to the age of five (I think), I would mouth the last word or last couple of words of a sentence right after I said it. It didn't take too long to stop once I realized I was doing it. I think I looked it up a couple of years ago, and that may have been what lead me to believe that this was a form of echolalia, but I don't remember what my source was on that. Wikipedia doesn't seem to mention it. I'd google a bit more, but I should really be trying to deal with my sleeping problem instead.

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2010, 12:56 am

I do this as well as repeat the last word of what others say.

When it's myself it's more often in my head. Quite often I will get kind of "stuck" on one phrase or part of a phrase in my head when I am thinking. I will repeat over and over again until I force myself to stop. An example would be "There is a black dog over there". I would think "there, there is a black, a black dog over there, over there" or something like that. It happens countless times a day and is very quick. It's almost like I stumble over my own thoughts, though not like stuttering. If I concentrate I can force myself to stop but it is difficult. :? No idea what this really is; I always just figured it was some strange form of echolalia or something OCD related.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 1:16 am

There is a term for that but I'm totally blanking out on what it is.

...just remembered it: "palilalia"

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Palilalia is the repetition or echoing of one's own spoken words,[1] and may sound like stuttering. It is a complex tic, like echolalia and coprolalia;[2] all can be symptoms of Tourette syndrome[3] or autism.[4]

Palilalia comes from the Greek πάλιν (pálin) meaning "again"[5] and λαλιά (laliá) meaning "speech"[6] (from the verb λαλείν (laleín) meaning "to talk").

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 3:21 am

buryuntime wrote:
I know echolalia is when you repeat what others say, but is there a term for repeating something you yourself said to someone over and over again?

Yes, on the inside. But at the same time, i also try to analyse why i am saying something, not why i am repeating it, but why i said those specific words. It can be annoying at times, but hey, its inside my head and doesn't bother anyone :D

I also get songs stuck in my head quite easily, lately i've had that Fallout - New vegas "Jingle Jangle" song going on a loop. I'm gonna be bored of it before the game is released :roll:

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2010, 3:29 am

Ichinin wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

Yes, on the inside. But at the same time, i also try to analyse why i am saying something, not why i am repeating it, but why i said those specific words. It can be annoying at times, but hey, its inside my head and doesn't bother anyone :D

I also get songs stuck in my head quite easily, lately i've had that Fallout - New vegas "Jingle Jangle" song going on a loop. I'm gonna be bored of it before the game is released :roll:

I'd try to analyze it but half the time it's just me liking the way the word sounds and saying it fifty+ times over the course of a long period. Analyzing it might be helpful on occasion, but most of the time it's just my brain getting stuck on something and verbally vomiting it out again and again.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 6:31 am

My son used to whisper the last part of a statement he had just made over again. I don't but I mentioned to a family member who is a nurse practitioner that whenever I tried to do word association, where you're supposed to say the very first thing that comes in your mind after you hear a word, I always just hear the word repeated and then a picture. I could after that think of an association but that kind of defeats the purpose of the test. The only difference is if it's a word with an obvious opposite i will think of the opposite (black/white, hot/cold etc.) Anyway, the family member said that was a kind of echolalia.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 6:39 am

Old people do that sometimes too.
I guess it gives them the time to think about it and well understand the sentance or the question that was asked to them.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:32 am

Loop thinking? Thinking in circles repetitiously? Perseveration? Other?