half and half 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
never 37%  37%  [ 26 ]
don't know 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 71

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 5:25 pm

When I was younger, I used to wish that I was normal, now it's not as bad, because of wrongplanet I can relate with other aspies.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 5:31 pm

I rarely do. Sometimes if I'm in a situation that requires me to converse, I wish I had more 'skills'. But I like having AS.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 5:57 pm

Starbuline wrote:
I rarely do. Sometimes if I'm in a situation that requires me to converse, I wish I had more 'skills'. But I like having AS.

I can certainly echo those feelings! As for some things males consider wierd, like my not being obsessed, ok, I am not even interested, with sports, I guess I have been ALWAYS happy I wasn't "normal".

What is the point with considering it anyway. It is funny. 3 years ago(HECK, 20 years ago) I wished I was dead or could just turn myself off. Today I wish I could relive the past 20 years with the knowledge of AS. I wouldn't care if everything else was as it was before, or I was an orphan, etc... My entire perspective has changed. I'm happier than I was a few months back.

If only they gave you your medical records, etc... HERE it is a chore, or impossible. I could just see me looking at the brain and thinking WOW, it doesn't match such and such pictures. It would at least have given a clue as to WHY.

As for skills? My short term memory is getting better, I'm getting better at math, getting better at several languages, and am doing some puzzles again. I even went out this morning to check on L glutathione, because it was the ONE thing mentioned by someone regarding supplements that I had not yet tried. Some of the other supplements have been GREAT!

Some woman apparantly cleaned out all the stores yesterday, so I couldn't get any. :cry: I have to wait until tuesday, because it is a chore to search stores with my hurt leg. Maybe I'll check out some drug stores.

Steve

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 6:01 pm

Sometimes I wish there were certain aspie traits that I wish I could reduce somewhat. But I never thought since I was diagnosed that I wish I was not an aspie because I always imagined that as being an entirely different person.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 6:11 pm

I am almost NT myself, but I have a formal AS diagnosis.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 8:44 pm

No, I dont. I just want to learn to deal with my AS, better. I don't wish to be cured. I have a good friend who's helping me with that, and I appreciate his help.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 9:14 pm

F*** No!! !! ! or else i'd be a conformist A******! !! !!

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 9:33 pm

Becoming so called 'NT' would be a grand punishment to me.

Besides I've learned all there is to emulate NT behavior when I feel like it. So I don't need to be NT, because I can act NT.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 10:06 pm

Whatever I am, it is a hell of a lot better than what I was "raised" by, "cared for" by, and "judged" by.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 10:52 pm

I have pretty well come to terms with being autistic; after all it is better the devil you know, but there are times when I feel I could do without the feeling of having those "jumping jacks" under my skin and had find so darn near impossible to introduce myself to new people I meet for the first time.

However I do enjoy my own company so it the process of becoming an NT I may just end up losing a gift I take so much for granted. So that is why I say better the devil you know.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2006, 11:19 pm

Sometimes I do. I have made so much progress in the past few years, transforming from a lazy slob into a productive member of society, that I wonder how much I could have done without being sidetracked by my obsessions and my dislike of social interaction.

However, there are also days when I am glad I am not someone else.

QL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Dec 2006, 12:15 am

Sometimes I guess. I feel like I've missed out on alot of things in my life and have caused more trouble for myself than I would otherwise. Then again, I would be a completely different person. I'm lucky in the sense when I look at my brothers. They're both a bit "slow" and I'm blessed to have to mind I do have.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2006, 1:06 am

AS is the least of my "problems"....I wish I had not been depressed,not been an alcoholic,not self-harmed,not felt like my parents hated me.It would have been nice to know that I wasnt an alien,so I wouldnt have wasted all those years "waiting" for their return to except myself.Most of my life has been trying to figure out "what is wrong with me and why cant I relate to people?"......all those years wasted in psych classes,studying people,in therepy....could have been more productivly spent on more intellectual or creative interests.

I dont regret who I am,just not knowing until I was 42.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2006, 5:35 am

I'd like to be NT for a day, just to know what it feels like. I'd hate to lose my obsessions though, even for the day.

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2007, 12:00 pm

I sometimes wish I was 'normal' (for lack of a better word), especially when having to deal with people for long periods of time, or when I can't do something at school like write essays or analyse poetry etc. On the other hand I do quite like not having much of a social obligation, and there are things I can do well such as maths and foreign languages.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 12:03 pm

If I was an NT right now, I'd have woken up feeling like s**t this morning from being hungover, all ready to hand out little sticky notes to all the people I talked to last night with:
"I'm sorry for . . . " already written on them