Autism Talk TV - Ep. 6 - Steve Silberman - Pt 1

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 7:03 am

I think it is a good idea to try to change Autism Speaks from the inside. It is the best way to change the attitude in society, as most NTs will not go here to get their information. I've been on their boards, and receive their emails since a while back, but I have limited time for doing anything productive. In fact, I prefer to voice my rather radical ideas on my site & blog instead.

shulamith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2010, 12:51 pm

I don't mind if we have dialogues and debates with Autism Speaks, because there are things we can learn from each other and movements that don't try to understand and communicate effectively with their opponents (and that's what Autism Speaks should be at this time) get dogmatic and stagnant. I liked hearing the arguments of Peter Bell, although he does strike me as somewhat phony, and i thoroughly enjoyed the interview with Geraldine Dawson. She seems much more in-line with our position than that of Autism Speaks, and i wonder what she's doing there, of all the awareness organizations there are.
But why the hell is an episode of Autism Talk TV being sponsored by that organization? There are fundamental ideological differences between Wrongplanet and Autism Speaks. We are by autistics, and primarily for autistics. Their demographic is parents and professionals, and they DO NOT HAVE AUTISTIC PEOPLE IN POSITIONS OF POWER. They support a "cure," treat autism like a conventional "illness," and do not recognize aspergians and the high-functioning as even being autistic. Our site recognizes everyone on the spectrum, plus those with ADD, PDD, etc. This is what i was told about the site's mission, and the reason for our disagreement with Autism Speaks. Was that all propaganda?
If they want to reconcile with us, they should publicly take back their offensive positions. If they have done that, good for them. If not, they are not our "friends" and we should not take their sponsorship money.
No one can force Autism Speaks to change, they have to want to. As long as they are the group they are, we have to present a real alternative.

Greensmith
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2010, 11:51 am

I doubt very much that Autism Speaks will change its core values. It doesn't believe that autism should exist. Attempting to sue activists who spoke out against it didn't work. Now it's trying another tactic. Attempting to negotiate with these people won't change them; it will only change us. It will turn us into Uncle Toms.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 2:24 am

Alison Singer wanted to drive off the bridge because she was in despair and probably majorly depressed, this does happen. Also having thoughts about things that you would never do is not unusual I would have thought.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 1:53 pm

This is a great interview guys. I'm looking forward to watching part-two. My THANKS to everyone involved. :)

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 4:53 am

What a wonderful interview with Steve. It's encouraging to think we have contributed to society.

Also, if Alex wants to interview Autism Speaks then so be it, it's his website after all. If it weren't for him we wouldn't have this "autistic haven" we call Wrong Planet. Thanks Alex for providing us with this website and the interviews, etc!

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Sep 2010, 11:08 am

thanks guys! Part 2 is now on the front page.

adosa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2010, 1:50 pm

hello

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Sep 2010, 2:24 am

i think jack is good looking, i mean his t-shirt is nice :wink:

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

11 Sep 2010, 6:53 pm

richardbenson wrote:

Maybe you should <inappropriate comment deleted>.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

11 Sep 2010, 7:10 pm

lau wrote:
alex wrote:
we didn't sell out anything. accepting underwriting support does not mean that the underwriters have any editorial influence on the content.

... and if you were to accept "underwriting support" from slave traders, it would not in any way mean you approved of slavery?

(Substitute any reprehensible group/practice of your choice.)
Excellent point Lau.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Sep 2010, 6:33 pm

velodog wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Maybe you should <inappropriate content deleted>.
believe me i already have in my mind smartass. hopefully next time dont try to start s**t with me because you were brutally owned on another forum

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

13 Sep 2010, 1:04 am

richardbenson wrote:
velodog wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Maybe you should <inappropriate content deleted>.
believe me i already have in my mind smartass. hopefully next time dont try to start sh** with me because you were brutally owned on another forum
You own people on the internet about as well as you keep a job Richard.

Edit: as of now I am on his ignore list elsewhere. Great ownage Richie. :roll:

Last edited by velodog on 13 Sep 2010, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 2:17 am

Really, children. Is this the way we behave in front of company? Now Velodog, apologize to Richard or you can go to bed without your supper, young man!

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

13 Sep 2010, 8:06 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Really, children. Is this the way we behave in front of company? Now Velodog, apologize to Richard or you can go to bed without your supper, young man!

I won't do that, but I will bow out of this thread. Have a nice thread Deacon.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2010, 2:22 pm

I'm Autistic and I've always wanted to be on TV. When are they going to feature me on the show?