If you make noises do you get called ret*d for it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:47 pm

Obviously I know making noises is part of AS etc. and I hate tossing the r word around but my 10 year old sister says I'm ret*d when I do that. What are your thoughts?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm

You seem to make a lot of threads about "someone called me dyslexic..." or in this case "someone called me ret*d...". Is it possible you are too hung up on what people think about you, in a negative way?

Yes. It is well-established that people use the term ret*d, especially for things like making noises when "normal" people don't do this. This example is way too narrow, because I make noises yet I have yet to be called ret*d for it, so therefore I can't even reply in the affirmative. What do you get out of it if I said that it /did/ happen?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:23 pm

I'm not sure.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm

Your little sister is a big meanie. If she keeps it up she will turn into a Big Blue Meanie.

I have never been called names for my noises. My parents spanked me and sent me to my room a lot as a kid. As a grown up, no one calls me names.

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2010, 12:20 am

Is that an aspie trait, to make noises? My brother gets on me about that. My housemate left the room to get away from me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 3:54 am

hutchscott wrote:
Is that an aspie trait, to make noises? My brother gets on me about that. My housemate left the room to get away from me.

it sounds a bit "tourettes-ey" to me. my particular manifestation of tourettes was making squeaking noises [as well as twisting my head and neck into awkward postures] when i was a young 'un. now that i am an old fart, i bark like a dog, IOW i have chronic catarrh and clear my throat all the time, which seems to drain the "energy" out of my tourettes so that i don't feel the need to squeak anymore like when i was a kid. but i believe my barking is one of the things which makes some people avoid me.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 4:06 am

Around the time I was in the first grade, I would sometimes giggle in a very high-pitched voice. Some of the kids around me probably thought I was a bit strange, but I don't think they thought I was ret*d. They were probably too young to know what that word meant, anyway. :roll:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 5:22 am

I think it's just a 10 year old being a 10 year old. She's not thinking in medical terms; she's just trying to irritate you. I also think it's not Tourettes, because it's not involuntary. It's just kind of fun.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 6:09 am

When at 4 or 5 I was making noises (my very first tic that manifested in me one afternoon out of a sudden) and my gran took me to our relatives for a visit once, later, when we already came home, she informed my mother that "I was neighing like an old mare on the way to them".

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 2:25 pm

Yes. I even got ret*d just for not sitting still, and rocking.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 4:38 pm

That seems to be typical 10 year old behaviour, and 10 year olds, are anything, but cute. Your sister needs to be educated on both, AS and the true meaning of the word, ret*d.

LK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2010, 12:35 am

I have been called "ret*d" for doing various things because of the incorrect way people use the word. "OMG, that's like so effing ret*d/gay/stupid/weird/crazy/etc." I think I have been called ret*d for making "normal" mistakes or disliking certain genres of music, certain films someone else liked, or things like that more than I have been for doing anything that is an obvious result of AS or that remotely looks like something stemming from some kind of mental retardation.

I do not make unusual noises or movements often, so when I do, people are usually too freaked out/puzzled to think or say I am ret*d or anything of the like.

While Mr. Kim... has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me.
- Dr. Sheldon Cooper (TBBT)

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

LK wrote:
I do not make unusual noises or movements often, so when I do, people are usually too freaked out/puzzled to think or say I am ret*d or anything of the like.
I do often enough for people to say "You just can't help yourself can you? You just had to do it."

Texmexium
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Obviously I know making noises is part of AS etc. and I hate tossing the r word around but my 10 year old sister says I'm ret*d when I do that. What are your thoughts?

No because I don't make "ret*d" noises in the first place.

Also, I wouldn't put too much weight on what a 10-year-old says.