Your family has an easy time coping with the way you are
Yes 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Only sometimes 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 8

bluelily3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 8:14 pm

When even your own family has a hard time accepting stuff about you. I have a pretty good relationship with my sister, but sometimes she gets annoyed with me. It's mostly the obsessions. I don't see why, I'm not harming anyone. I'm really into the fantasy series called Dragonlance right now, and she teases me whenever I read one of the books. She doesn't want me to get "fired up" talking my face off about it, but I've tried really hard not to do that. It's hard, because everything else I've been obsessed with, she's liked. It's just this one that she doesn't want to get into.

Anyway, she said the other day that she "doesn't have to accept everything about me."
To make things worse, my mom said a few weeks ago: "Maybe I don't want to get used to that about you."
It's like, thanks a lot you guys. I'm not on drugs or anything. I'm a good person, and I try my hardest. There are only a few things I freak out about, but after 24 years, you THINK they would be used to me. (They've known I have Aspie's since I was 16)

Also, my mom has been married to my step-dad for more than 10 years, and he STILL pats me on the shoulder! I hate being touched, it always makes me flinch. He's just lucky I didn't hiss and scowl at him. I really wanted to. *sigh*

Why should WE have to make it easier for THEM, I wonder? (Forgive me, I am a bit of a bitter mood about this) I just feel like: Yeah, okay, it's hard for the NT's (neuro typicals a.k.a. normal people) that have to deal with us, but I'm tired of their complaining! THEY are not the ones with the screwed up brain! I can't help it! None of us can! I have worked my butt of masking and trying to be normal all these years, and sometimes I just get sick of it! I just want to be me! Is that so much to ask? :cry:

So, does anyone else want to rant about how their family and/or friends still can't accept certain things about you, no matter how hard you try? Bring it on, guys. Let the ranting begin!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 11:26 pm

I would get annoyed too if someone kept talking to me about their obsession and I was not interested in it. I would eventually get rude and tell them to shut up and I don't care and to not ever talk to me about it again and go bug someone else. I would be nice about it at first but if that person kept on doing it, I would lose it. I figure if I get rude, the person wouldn't speak to me and it's sure better than hearing them talk about the same thing over and over. I'd rather not have them talk to me at all.

Have you ever had to listen to something you are not interested in? What was it like for you? Hard I bet so I think that's how other people feel about it when you do it with your obsessions. Or what about people talking about the same things over and over?

It's good that you are trying to not talk about it much.

I don't really have any rants because my family pretty much accepts me for way I am. As a child my mom had a problem with my obsessions and used to take them away from me and she used to get mad at me for not acting my age and the fact I do things I was supposed to know better because my little brother was doing it and I didn't understand there were rules for different age groups so things that are acceptable for a two year old are unacceptable for a seven year old. While a two year old might get a slap on the wrist for their behavior, a seven year old would get a punishment for that same behavior because they should know better. Then in 6th grade, everything changed. She no longer got mad at me for my aspiness but she still didn't want to hear about my obsessions. I think people don't need to put up with us talking about our obsessions all the time. Even aspies get annoyed with other aspies when they talk about their obsessions. That's something I learned several years ago.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 11:40 pm

I've learned to shut my trap, about my obsessions, around my family, at the age of 13. My parents wondered why I was so quiet, between the ages 14, and 19 and again, between the ages 20 and now. If you're not nice, people won't talk to you.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:33 am

bluelily3 wrote:
When even your own family has a hard time accepting stuff about you. I have a pretty good relationship with my sister, but sometimes she gets annoyed with me. It's mostly the obsessions. I don't see why, I'm not harming anyone. I'm really into the fantasy series called Dragonlance right now, and she teases me whenever I read one of the books.

If she doesn't want to know about it, then why does she even say anything? Why doesn't she just let you read in peace?

bluelily3 wrote:
Anyway, she said the other day that she "doesn't have to accept everything about me."
To make things worse, my mom said a few weeks ago: "Maybe I don't want to get used to that about you."

Well, "mom," tough. Either get used to it or ignore it. It's part of who you are.

bluelily3 wrote:
Also, my mom has been married to my step-dad for more than 10 years, and he STILL pats me on the shoulder! I hate being touched, it always makes me flinch. He's just lucky I didn't hiss and scowl at him. I really wanted to. *sigh*

Have you told him this? I don't know if it would matter, but at least it would be known that you tried to say it in a "civil" fashion.

bluelily3 wrote:
Why should WE have to make it easier for THEM, I wonder? (Forgive me, I am a bit of a bitter mood about this) I just feel like: Yeah, okay, it's hard for the NT's (neuro typicals a.k.a. normal people) that have to deal with us, but I'm tired of their complaining! THEY are not the ones with the screwed up brain! I can't help it! None of us can! I have worked my butt of masking and trying to be normal all these years, and sometimes I just get sick of it! I just want to be me! Is that so much to ask? :cry:

It shouldn't be. Sadly, many people still have the "majority rules" mentality, which does suck. You'd think that family would be the ones to be the most understanding, but from many of the postings on WrongPlanet it looks like it's often the opposite.

Try what CockneyRebel mentioned--speak as little as possible. When they ask you why, look them in the eye and say in a calm, adult tone of voice "Because it seems that whenever I open my mouth, I annoy someone, and I don't want to do that anymore." Then walk away.

They may blow up and call you rude ( :roll: ) but you'll have touched a nerve. Unless they're COMPLETELY dense, they'll know they're at least somewhat in the wrong for this.

Feel free to rant all you want, btw. Hope this helps a little.

I don't know about the Dragonlance series, but I'll listen if you want. (No sarcasm--I mean it.)

Take care.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17