sensitive eyes, sunglasses, and school dress code...

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 3:42 pm

I have really sensitive eyes and we are not allowed to wear sunglasses to school, even outside. I had transitions last year, which helped some, but I'm not going to be able to afford them this year. Also, I have switched to wearing mostly contacts (or that's what I plan to at least) because I need them for dancing (I'm in color guard in band). But when I walk outside the light hurts my eyes and I have to squint and look down and it feels like I have needles stabbing my eyes. I almost always eat lunch outside at school, even when it's raining, because I can't stand the bad smells, noise, and all the people inside the cafeteria (it makes me anxious). Also, I have band class and color guard class the last two period of the day, PLUS after school practice. So I get exposed to the sun alot and it can be unbearable at times. I have to go back to the eye doctor in a week or so to get checked up on my contacts to see how they're doing (I'm not wearing them right now because they were making my eyes red. :( ) I was wondering if they could write me a note so I can wear sunglasses while I'm outside eating lunch and out practicing without having to worry about getting in trouble and suspended or anything since sunglasses are technically against dress code. Also I've heard that blue eyes (I have blue eyes) are more sensitive to sunlight and sun exposure can lead to early cataracts and wrinkles, especially in eyes that are already sensitive. :( (or I've heard something like that) Has anyone done anything like that or have that same problem? Also, I don't think the school knows I have Asperger's as far as I know. I used to to the psychiatrist for it several years ago (like when I was 10), but I haven't been since and I don't think any of the doctors (dentist, eye doctors, gp) or teachers know. Or does it even matter if they know or not? Should they? I don't really tell people, but that's kind of a different topic I guess....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 3:52 pm

sounds like you are in some kind of military school. if i were you, i'd let them know that you are on the spectrum.

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

How does it sound like I'm in a military school? 8O

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Aug 2010, 4:01 pm

If you have a medical note, they would have to let you wear dark glasses. Make sure that the note is from a doctor, and is specific.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:01 pm

i have super sensitive eyes too. I dunno if its because im fair skinned/blue eyed or because im short sighted or for a completely different reason altogether. even when its cloudy i can still tell the suns there if im facing it because i squint really bad and find it almost unbearable to look at the sky for longer than a few seconds. i wear contacts in the daytime and if its really sunny i wear (non prescription) sunglasses. but on days when it doesnt look that sunny but there are still lots of uv rays, i feel too silly wearing sunglasses.incase people think im wearing them to try to look cool or something, when that isnt the case at all. you should explain to someone at your school and try to get some sort of special permission.try to get a note from your optician if you can so they know its for health and not fashion reasons. dont see any need to mention autism:/, its to do with the health of your eyes

oh and btw, you can get a special coating on normal glasses which block UV rays (but the glasses are still clear). I havent got it myself but i saw a leaflet for it last time i was at the opticians and it only cost £10 which isnt much at all

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Aug 2010, 4:04 pm

I should mention that my eyes are extremely sensitive to sunlight, too. Also, my eyes are dark brown. The reason for the sensitivity, is repeated episodes of a condition known as Uveitis, which has left retinal scarring and one pupil that doesn't expand and contract as it should.

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 4:09 pm

wow. I didn't expect this many replies so quick. thanks. Do you think I should mention it to my eye doctor or my school first? Because I go to the doctor before I go back to school.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Aug 2010, 4:12 pm

bandgeek13094 wrote:
wow. I didn't expect this many replies so quick. thanks. Do you think I should mention it to my eye doctor or my school first? Because I go to the doctor before I go back to school.

Definitely your doctor.

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 4:13 pm

ok. thank you. :)

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:13 pm

yeah, definately the doctor. he might be able to advise something or even check if you have a conditions like hartz does. maybe i should mention it to mine too lol:/. plus that way youll have some proof when you speak to the school about it

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:24 pm

If you are under an IEP (I assume this is high school), you can set up a meeting and have it written into the IEP based on the doctors note that you need to wear dark glasses.

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 4:25 pm

Ok. Do you know how much it'll cost if they check for things like that? I'm on Medicaid, but I'm not sure what they cover and what they don't (they covered my glasses exam and half my contact exam, but they didn't cover contacts and only did certain frames).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:45 pm

bandgeek13094 wrote:

something about the "color guard" which is also a military thing. no offense meant.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

I it put in my IEP in high school that they had to let me wear dark glasses all the time (I specifically claimed killer migraines/headaches). Doctor's note is good too if they are stubborn 8). I have hazel eyes that are mostly a light-medium grayish color with some green and brown, so light sensitivity is not just a blue eyed thing.

ImMelody
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:01 pm

If you don't have an IEP, you should talk to you Dr and parents about doing a 504 plan. This will legally bind them to allowing you to wear your sunglasses. I wish my brother and I had known about this when we were in school because the sun can be brutal. I'm already expecting to have to do it with my oldest too.

BTW, the blue-eye cataracts thing is accurate. My mother is blue eyed and I take her to the eye doctor and they always tell her she's more likely because of her eye color.

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 5:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
bandgeek13094 wrote:

something about the "color guard" which is also a military thing. no offense meant.

oh, ok, and it's cool. We have like 2 types of color guard: JROTC color guard (more military-ish) and band color guard (flag spinning). I'm in the band one. :) Well, we have a different name that we're called, but I'm not putting that up...