Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2010, 8:46 pm

After I started researching the spectrum, I chose a clinic nearly at random. On their paperwork in my stated goals I had listed my social difficulty and my suspicion of spectrum disorder, but steered clear of mentioning it or gushing at them about the specifics that I identified from Attwood's complete guide, to allow the clinical opinion to be formed based on their questions. I've been 3 times, each time feeling a bit more comfortable and accepted. So today I asked their thoughts on diagnosis, when the topic of taking steps to structure the interaction came up. I prefaced it by telling them I don't exactly feel that I need a diagnosis- the further I've gone along this path of researching the more at home I've felt with the big picture of my personality-- but that I felt it would help me work with them to know exactly their diagnostic opinion. Plus my wife wanted to know.

Adhd - yes.

Asperger's- yes.

"Official Aspie"... Woohoo? I've essentially been told what I already felt, from a clinical opinion standpoint. This is mainly a solid validation of the progress I've made with my will to understand myself and learn to change some of my socially problematic behaviors. And, it gives me the ability to more effectively communicate to those close to me without being doubted or cautioned.

ADHDer since 1990. Diagnosed Aspie 8/2010

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

eon wrote:
"Official Aspie"... Woohoo? I've essentially been told what I already felt, from a clinical opinion standpoint. This is mainly a solid validation of the progress I've made with my will to understand myself and learn to change some of my socially problematic behaviors. And, it gives me the ability to more effectively communicate to those close to me without being doubted or cautioned.

In other words, a "second opinion," the first one having been yourself.

And, yes, "validation" from an "official" source.

It sounds like a positive thing for you. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 9:57 pm

I'm not sure if congratulations is quite the right word, but I'm glad you've gotten some stuff sorted out about your life. That sounds wonderful.

I've never felt the need to seek diagnosis. Maybe that's because there's a good chance I currently present as sub-clinical and just don't particularly value what the professionals think of me... though there's a part of me that's curious.