How To Cope with "Partial Tourettes"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:36 am

My psychiatrist told me today I have "partial tourettes." I came home and looked up the diagnostic criteria and it looked to me like I have all of it, not just partial. He thought it might all be a component of my ASD. He said if I wanted to fix it, I could go back on anti-psychotic meds... which always make my weight blow WAY up!

So, if you have tourettes or major problems with tics and you do not take meds, what sorts of things do you do instead that work to help you cope?

Do any of you advise taking the med even though it could make me gain weight? I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.

Thanks!

(My tics- letter tracing, clearing throat, blinking eyes, compulsive swallowing, tensing and untensing muscles, constant need to scratch or rub my face, among others)

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:24 am

I have some fairly annoying tics but I find they're worse at night, and I also have chronic night terrors. My BF is taking anti psychotics, I like to avoid them myself, too many side affects. I'd ask if there are other drugs they could use besides anti psychotics.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:33 am

Reminds me of the Salvador Dail fishing joke.

Partial Tourette's; cope with partial blurts :?:

Salvador Dali went fishing with a broken line...........he caught every other fish :lol:

criss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:44 am

I have mild TS.

As a Kid I had compulsive swallowing.
These days it takes the form of
coughing and sniffing......though
most of my TS is covertly done.

Chris

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:51 am

I have Tourette's, but my presentation of tics is mild enough that I simply live with it. It can be disconerting to people when I start "doing the worm" when sitting down to a meal or to watch a movie, but I just explain what it is and we move on.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 2:09 pm

I think I have mild tourette's too and that my doc was probably off. What should I do though? How do you cope? This stuff drives me crazy! thanks.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

Ehh... I have a few occasional tics. I just kind of ignore them. They get lost in all the stimming anyway. The only annoying one is when I'll randomly say a word related to something I was just thinking about, which can be embarrassing if in a quiet place. Mine aren't anywhere near what you'd call Tourette's. They just kind of happen sometimes.

re. tics: My opinion is you really only need to worry about them if they're really distracting you or if the repetitive movement is causing injury. If they're not that bad, I'd let it go and just live with them. Anti-psychotics aren't exactly things you take without thinking about it pretty hard first.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 2:04 am

Well, I decided against meds because this condition isn't life threatening, like my bipolar is. But, it's still very annoying and stands in the way of my enjoyment of life. I'm looking into meditation now to see if that will help. I got a book with 35 meditation techniques, from all religions and spiritual paths. For some odd reason, I'm finding myself drawn to the Sufi one so far. I hope I can learn to control the tics more in time through using meditation.

Does anyone know of herbs, etc. that help too?