Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:35 pm

Somebody PLEASE create & add "sarcasm" and "joke" emoticons! Many people on the spectrum cannot detect these things even with body language /facial expressions, etc. (including myself). How is someone supposed to detect these things in messages online?! :?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:52 pm

Peko wrote:
Somebody PLEASE create & add "sarcasm" and "joke" emoticons! Many people on the spectrum cannot detect these things even with body language /facial expressions, etc. (including myself). How is someone supposed to detect these things in messages online?! :?

Usually winks accomplish that.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

Peko wrote:
How is someone supposed to detect these things in messages online?! :?

Well, the thing is that in real life, the only thing that would easily be labeled as sarcasm is the typical "sarcasm tone". Even that is rare. The only way you can detect sarcasm without the tone is by knowing the situation you are in, in terms of the conversation. So, no emoticons would be needed unless you are doing the equivalent of making the "sarcasm tone".

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:14 am

Peko wrote:

I use :roll:

However, while we're on the subject, can I request the "facepalm"?

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:20 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
Peko wrote:

Usually winks accomplish that.

or the eye-rolling emoticon :)

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:20 am

conundrum wrote:
Peko wrote:

I use :roll:

However, while we're on the subject, can I request the "facepalm"?

yeah, we definitely need a facepalm emoticon :!:

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 1:11 am

Oh yeah, we really need a sarcasm emoticon. :roll:

Hehe, I think the rolleyes one does just fine. :D

And yeah, a face-palm would be good whenever those AS vs. NT threads come up. Unless we just use this. :wall:

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 2:39 am

Peko wrote:

There is a Facebook campaign for an international sarcasm symbol, and a company selling a trademarked sarcasm symbol. Many people are promoting the already existing Unicode u00A1 which looks like an upside-down exclamation mark (¡), although this looks better in some fonts than others. (http://www.slate.com/id/2111172)