Do you read? If so, are you the only one you know who does?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

bluelily3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 8:31 pm

I am the only one under my roof that reads. I guess I have my grammy (grandma) and my cousin who read too, but they have tastes that are a bit different, and they don't like to sit around and discuss what they have read. (Well, kind of, but it's never in the depth that I want it to be) I wish that I could join a book club, but I live in a really small town, and it's full of rednecks, so no one around here reads anything but Louis L'Amour. I like fantasy and sci-fi the best. Eventually I'll take in a good historical fiction or some women's literature, but I prefer stuff that outside my world.

Who else besides me feels like they are the only one that reads? It's it hard to finish a really good book and not have anyone to share it with? My mom and sister kind of shut me out as soon I say "I just read this..." It sucks.

(I probably should have posted this in a different section, but I heard that Aspie's like to read to escape. I know that's why I do it.)

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:52 pm

Yes, and no.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 9:21 pm

On my mom's side almost everyone is an avid reader. On my dad's it's only my grandmother who likes to read and like me, she prefers books on how to do things. My dad and others on his side have a hard time reading so when I lived with him he and his wife used to make fun of me for reading and doing my homework. So I know how it feels, but nowadays I'm surrounded by happy bookworms.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Aug 2010, 9:44 pm

I have been a bookworm since I was three years old. My sister is an avid reader, and my two brothers as well. My mother taught us to read before we entered grade school, LOL.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

I wish I knew someone that read books like me. :(

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:07 pm

I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year, after the show I went to a Waffle House - I'm not proud of it, I was hungry.
I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: (smacking gum)
"Hey, what you readin' for?"
Is that like the weirdest f*cking question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading for?
Well, g*dammit, you stumped me. Why do I read?
Well... hmmm... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one is - so I don't end up being a f*cking waffle waitress.
Then this trucker in the next booth stands over me and goes:
WeEelll, we got ouahselves a readuh!
What - did I just step out of some intellectual closet, here? This is a book - I read - Geez, I feel like I just walked into a Klan rally with a Boy George
costume on...

- Bill Hicks (b1961-d1994)

Last edited by Willard on 10 Aug 2010, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2010, 10:23 pm

I heard on NPR one day (not long ago) that over 50% of people who receive Bachelor's Degrees will never pick up another book for fun (i.e., not required for work or instructional manuals--although some people do read those for fun) at any time in their life. And these are educated folks. Will never read another book again. Sad.

Of course, I will spend $40 or $50 at a $1 book sale--and immediately attempt to read everything I go there, so I guess I'm in the minority.

CMD
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm

Yes, and no. I have a friend that reads more than me in fact.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm

We all read here. Our tastes are different, but we all read. (in the case of my toddlers, they like being read to or pretending they are reading their picture books)

I've always been a reader. In school, I often couldn't focus on my work and could be found reading instead.

DrS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2010, 12:08 am

I've never met anyone who reads as much as me, but I'm surrounded by plenty of big readers. Try hanging out in a university English department for a while :)

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:14 am

yeah, i read ALOT :o
so does my GF; we're bookworm buddies :)

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2010, 8:28 am

To be honest, I've always been surprised that reading (as in, novels) is so prevalent. There's so much more media out there that is much more eye-catching. I can't say I'm proud of the fact that I haven't voluntarily read a novel in years, but with other interests in the way, I just can't make the time for it.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:47 am

I read, and a lot of people at school seem proud of the fact they haven't voluntarily read any book that isn't "Where's Wally?" They think it's really weird that I read books for fun.

Conversations I often have with people at school remind me of this:

In my family, my mum reads a bit, but only at night before bed, because she doesn't have time to just sit down and read for a few hours during the day like I can. My brother doesn't read at all. My dad reads, we often share books (when I was little he gave me all the Enid Blyton books he had as a child, and I've lent him quite a lot of my books, like The Road To Wigan Pier and stuff like that).

y es como un semestre"

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2010, 11:04 am

My grandmother use to read romance novels, my aunt reads historical novels (almost exclusively about the kings and queens of England). I read all sorts of stuff, but probably more scientific work than anything else. Seriously though, I pretty much have a book with me wherever I go.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:31 am

My parents hate books and they hated school. My brother don't really enjoy reading though I've seen him reading books about photography and robots (he does have narrow interests too). My grandmother who enjoys reading novels says I'm the only one who truly read because I enjoy poetry and likes some novels yet I prefer books about grammar, linguistics, stylistics and sociology/psychology (my biggest interests). Most people don't consider that as "reading". :lol:

I actually dislike reading without analysing what I'm reading, which is probably why I prefer poetry since I can analyse it better than novels.

I don't understand why people find it cool not to be a bookworm, it seems that to be normal you should have no culture or hide it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:38 pm

My mom reads, but mostly romance novels these days...but she goes through them like popcorn @_@

I'd like to say at least 50% of my friends read...probably higher. I have a couple who probably read more than I do...

But I've been on a pretty good reading kick lately...really plowing through some that have been sitting on my shelf since I was a little kid :oops:

Kind of wish I would've read some of these when I was younger, I would've loved them. Oh well. Better late than never.