Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Citizen4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2019, 10:03 am

Hi Everyone,

I thought I’d come here for some support and advice as I’ve been having some difficulties, and am not sure whether I am autistic or not.

Long story short, I’m 32 and generally have had no major problems or issues in my life until the age of 25. My childhood was fairly normal, had friends, did quite well at school, was very quiet and shy. But quite well liked. I started to notice maybe that i’m a bit different than some others at uni but again didn’t have any problems. Had a good time, got on with flatmates, got a degree.

Problems only started at my second job in the workplace (banking sector). I started to notice that I was a lot quieter than others and kept to myself a lot. I also started getting bullied and harassed for the first time in my life - this ended with me leaving. After that I started to think that I may be slightly autistic.

Since then I have pretty much been made to feel unwelcome and repeatedly bullied and harassed in every work place that I entered. I never felt like I “Fitted in”. In my current job I’m being bullied and harassed again, it is very subtle but people riddicule and make a lot of negative comments around me.

I do struggle with social interaction. I find it hard to keep a conversation going for more than 5 mins and can’t really do groups. I find most people to be pretty boring, untrustworthy and have no moral compass. I tend to isolate myself where I can.

I have an AQ score of 22.

Not really a long story short, but what do you think?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 10:13 am

According to the internet:

In terms of the distribution of the scores of the general population, it can be said that getting a score of: 11 – 21 is the average score for most of the population. 22 – 25 Indicates that one has slightly higher than average autistic traits. 26 – 31 Is a borderline score.

So I would interpret a score of 22 as not autistic but with a few autistic traits.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 11:21 am

Citizen4 wrote:
I started to notice that I was a lot quieter than others and kept to myself a lot. I also started getting bullied and harassed for the first time in my life - this ended with me leaving. After that I started to think that I may be slightly autistic.

You may be or may be not but even if you are you can't change it and using it as an excuse only doesn't really help you. Do you care about eye contact to other people? About others feeling empathy towards you? Do you care about providing of good mood? Are you self confident about your work? Do you care about not dressing to average and to cheap? About having a bit of small talk with colleagues? Why I'm asking? It's are this kind of small things which cause other people to like or dislike you.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2019, 11:30 am

What are some examples of the bullying you've experienced. Often, one can mistake simple light-hearted banter for bullying.

Citizen4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2019, 4:44 pm

Thanks for your replys.

quite an extreme
- I do care about making the right about of eye contact with others. It would be nice if people had empathy towards me. I try and stay upbeat, I do crack jokes occasionally. Think my dress sense is ok, not brilliant. I try and make small talk with colleagues, I'm not the best at it. However, non of this seems to matter if you have been targetted.

Prometheus18 - It's mainly riddicule, and pretty nasty comments about me. All within earshot and behind my back. Nothing to my face, it's not banter.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 9:31 am

Can you give more detail about the nasty comments? Can you quote or paraphrase and then give us a description of the people and what their jobs are, and what those jobs are in relation to yours?

And more detail about when and where you feel discomfort? Examples could include situations or physical environments.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 9:42 am

It could be that you are working for the wrong companies. Different companies have different cultures. Some cultures don't accept anyone who is different.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 11:13 am

Citizen4 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I thought I’d come here for some support and advice as I’ve been having some difficulties, and am not sure whether I am autistic or not.

Long story short, I’m 32 and generally have had no major problems or issues in my life until the age of 25.

Either you are more skilled or fortunate than me. Before 25 I had a lot of problems and a wide variety of them and they were profound

My childhood was fairly normal, had friends, did quite well at school, was very quiet and shy.

Once in a while, had a friend

Left out

But quite well liked.

Few people like (d) me and vice versa

I started to notice maybe that i’m a bit different than some others at uni but again didn’t have any problems. Had a good time, got on with flatmates, got a degree.

Plenty of problems

Nobody wanted to live with me

Evicted twice

All forms of BS

Problems only started at my second job in the workplace (banking sector). I started to notice that I was a lot quieter than others and kept to myself a lot. I also started getting bullied and harassed for the first time in my life - this ended with me leaving. After that I started to think that I may be slightly autistic.

Just recently

Since then I have pretty much been made to feel unwelcome and repeatedly bullied and harassed in every work place that I entered.

I never felt like I “Fitted in”. In my current job I’m being bullied and harassed again, it is very subtle but people riddicule and make a lot of negative comments around me.

Tattle to human resources

I do struggle with social interaction. I find it hard to keep a conversation going for more than 5 mins and can’t really do groups.

Sitting around talking is overrated by "most people"

"Actions speak louder than words"

"Loose lips sink ships"

I find most people to be pretty boring, untrustworthy and have no moral compass. I tend to isolate myself where I can.

"Boring" could be good. Predictable, obsessive compulsive disorder

Excited and interested could be bad. Adrenal fatigue

"Untrustworthy" how do you define and measure

I have an AQ score of 22.

Not really a long story short, but what do you think?

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 3:43 pm

Citizen4 wrote:
It would be nice if people had empathy towards me.

Wrong. People feel empathy towards you. They sense your feelings and it causes them to feel the same way. Once you are depressive you cause them a depressive feeling too. For this nobody really likes depressive people. :wink:

Citizen4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2019, 4:46 pm

SocOfAutism - Just the usual - freak, disgusting, gay, piss off, f*ck off, die, hes dead, go away. Nasty comments. Alot of it comes from "peers" but managment are behind it. Most of the people are probably younger than me. We all have different job roles but most people are at the same level. I feel discomfort in open office environments, and most group social events. Recently just going out in public has become difficult.

BTDT - Probably, financial sector is pretty cut throat. I have worked in a few industries though and have yet to find any place i truly feel welcome, or at ease.

shortfatbalduglyman - your username made me Laugh :D

quite an extreme - narcissists, sociopaths and sadists don't. I have a right to feel how I feel. If people don't like it then no ones forcing them to interact.

Other than starting my own business/working from home I can't envisage being in a workplace and not being bullied and harassed at this point.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2019, 5:52 pm

Citizen4 wrote:
I have a right to feel how I feel. If people don't like it then no ones forcing them to interact.

That's pretty defensive. If you are depressed and have trouble in groups, yeah, you're going to have some trouble in the workplace. It doesn't justify others mistreating you - but it explains it.

Since you are starting to find this generalizing to any workplace, get a therapist before it becomes a lifestyle for you. I do sense you need emotional support for a trying situation. But I also think you could use someone as a sounding board, and I'm somewhat doubting WrongPlanet is going to work for you in that regard.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2019, 1:50 pm

Citizen4 wrote:
I have a right to feel how I feel. If people don't like it then no ones forcing them to interact.

No one forces them to interact? But how do you explain this:
Citizen4 wrote:
Since then I have pretty much been made to feel unwelcome and repeatedly bullied and harassed in every work place that I entered.

Is it because of your body odor? Or do you think it's just always to much of fun to be with you? :?

Citizen4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2019, 3:55 pm

quite an extreme - It's not body odor. You're saying i get bullied and harassed because i'm not fun enough?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 9:11 am

People do tend to mirror your behaviors. Which can lead to a nasty downward spiral.

Even in cutthroat cultures there is usually a set of unwritten rules to follow. You break them at your own peril.
In the USA this is most obvious in the sport of baseball. Breaking the "unwritten" rules may result in a baseball being thrown uncomfortably close to your head.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 2:07 pm

Citizen4 wrote:
quite an extremeYou're saying i get bullied and harassed because i'm not fun enough?

I neither know you nor your work environment. But you should ask yourself which kind of people do you like?
Imagine two guys who are looking nearly the same, but the first one is like this

- grumpy / whiny
- has mostly a bad mood
- nearly always on his own
- has a very low self esteem especially towards the boss
- tries to be overly correct if doing his work (hopes the boss likes him for that)

and the second one

- has mostly kind of a good mood
- open and friendly
- likes to make a bit of fun with others and even with the boss
- self confident about what he does even if it's not always really perfect

I think you know both kind of people. But which guy do his colleagues and the boss like more? Which one would his colleagues trust in case of possible trouble with the boss? Who is the one they may event want to get rid of? You may add all kind of alternative attributes to the imaginary guys.
It's not magic to cause others to like you except may be the ones who are to much into themself to really like other people.

Citizen4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2019, 3:12 pm

BTDT - Well if I'm breaking unwritten rules, I'm not aware of it. Neither has anyone told me that I'm doing anything wrong. What unwritten rules do you think I may have broken in an office environment? These people are mirroring what bad behaviors in me?

quite an extreme - I think it's pretty sad that you're trying to justify bullying and harassment. I would treat both guys the same. The second may be more pleasant to be around but if i saw the first type being bullied and harassed, I would think it is out of order.

There's a lot of blaming the victim going on here, and you're making a lot of negative assumptions about my own behavior. I'm not sure why I posted here. I guess it was to see if I may be slightly autistic and anyone could relate to my experiences.