Page 1 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Aug 2010, 4:56 am

I have recurring daydream about mansions for WrongPlanet people. I see these places on TV and in my imagination I automatically turn these enormous homes into places that welcome people like us, especially the frazzled ones and the trapped ones.

It would be a sort of Utopia - no questions asked, come as you are, we have a room for you with adjustable lighting and temperature, as well as the very latest in computers. There's a pile of iPods and IPads and Kindles and Sony e-readers in the hall, help yourself. All rooms are sound-proofed. Also there's a music room, a swimming pool with scuba lessons if you like, and yoga classes, and weighted blankets. Meals are prepared and served to your preference. Your room has a kitchenette if you prefer to eat alone. There are rooms designated for conversation and others for silence, others for meditation and/or prayer. There's a telescope on the roof. There's a suggestion box, of course.

We have acres of land for our dogs and cats and horses and sheep and goats and hens (do we want a rooster? i guess the hens do). Also we have people to look after them in case we perseverate and forget about everything else.

Anything to add?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:18 am

That sounds like heaven already, when can I move in?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:41 am

I just came here to make a post about this. I am thinking about such a place. I know people were trying to start one up awhile ago.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:45 am

I like this idea, and I have been seriously considering it. But I would have to marry someone for her money (or at least has good potential earning power--i.e. has a Master's degree or a PhD) to be able to afford it, just like with most of the things I want.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:50 am

What a nice idea! Oh how I wish it were real...

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2010, 7:02 am

OMG!! !!

i have been doing this all my life - well, minus the kindle and ipad stuff, that wasn't around when i started planning,
i just had a simple library in mind, lol.
but this is amazing! you have it down to the animals and the telescope on the top of the building, 8O.

every little place in this building was supposed to be the hideout for a while for a person or small group of people.
when i realized that i mostly catered for individuals it struck me that there is something "wrong" with this mansion, there had to be a big communal space, just had to be - because this is normal, right? that's how normal houses are built, isn't it? and only after this comparison with the real world and the feeling that there is something wrong and unconventional with the building i planned, did i introduce a communal space.
how aspie is that, 8O ?
well, that all started when i was in my late teens in the 80s, nobody was talking about asperger's then.

the place closest to the kind of architecture i would envisage for such a place was the isaac newton institute in cambridge, that i had the luck to have a peep inside years ago - i was just the decorative appendix of a very bright man and felt so intimidated by the people there, :? .
but the layout of the main building was amazing.
the kind of spiral staircase was central to the building. there were in between levels with little islands of seating and all the rooms for the visiting academics were arranged stretching out like rays following the top circular level, some doors were open, some closed.
there were blackboards everywhere, even in the lavatory - 8O, well you never know when you get hit by a stroke of genius :D.

i remember that there was a program about a place similar to the one we're dreaming up.
no mention of asperger's was made, but maybe the fact that people did end up creating this place says something about their brain wiring.
it was a commune of just retired men and women ( most had never met before ), who very much disliked the idea of staying either with their familes or in a home and purchased a group of cottage like houses and surrounding land.
they were in no way linked by a shared ideology or religion or anything, in fact they spoke about the difficulties of finding likeminded men and women and the difficulties they encountered when they raised such an unconventional plan with their families.
an outstanding feature was that they all lived closed together and did have the possibility to communicate or meet up, but most of the time preferred not to do so and just enjoyed each other's company by simply coexisting, knowing they would not be intruded upon, but had each other's support if needs be.

Last edited by PaleBlueDotty on 17 Aug 2010, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:11 am

I'll meet you, in the music room, and I will play you a solo, on the drums. :cool:

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Aug 2010, 8:47 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I just came here to make a post about this. I am thinking about such a place. I know people were trying to start one up awhile ago.

I forgot our pet elephant, and his family!

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 9:52 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'll meet you, in the music room, and I will play you a solo, on the drums. :cool:

I'll bring my keyboards and my guitar. Get some more musicians and we'll do a Kinks tribute.

I like this idea, but I think it would work better (in a practical sense) to make it more of a colony kind of thing and we can rotate in and out. We'd need a paid staff for the interim times, though, just for cleaning up and maintenance, that sort of thing, or we could each dedicate, say, three months out of the year to just doing that.

I'd totally dig it either way, though.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:03 am

If I ever win the lottery, I will check into building a place like this!

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2010, 10:08 am

I'm there! I'll bring my steel guitar.
How about a workshop or lab? It could be in one of the many sheds or barns we will have.
No rooster! I raise chickens and haven't had a nice one yet.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:09 am

I've always dreamed of building a hobo mansion out of cardboard.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:13 am

Claradoon wrote:
Also there's a music room
I don't need a bedroom, I'll just sleep there. Heck if I ever leave the music room lol

Sounds like heaven. Just a fantasy, though, of course...

Though I'd prefer a Zune to the iPod. Superior audio quality, among other reasons. (Ultimately the Zen is better than both, but meh)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:45 am

A teleporter so you don't have to drive anywhere.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 10:46 am

I'd love a forest or a nice snowy field.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 10:48 am

To be honest..I can see it going wrong, like, fights over who is going to run it, who should be thrown out when people cannot live together. It will be an aspie Lord of the Flies.