Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 11:53 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
A HUGE place with meerkats all over the place. Instead of lions on the steps, there would be meerkats. I'd even have live meerkats runing about. I'd dress them up in diamond and rhinestone collars and give them huge sandboxes to dig in and acres and tall posts to climb and and several acres of enclosed (so nothing could get them) of outdoor area to play in. A posh palace for meerkats. Better than any zoo.

I went to a zoo and all of the animals looked sad and depressed. I saw meerkats as well and they were sad and depressed as well.

Animals people keep as pets (including tigers and meerkats) seem WAY happier than ones locked up in zoos.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 6:23 pm

That dream is quite interesting.

NOT A DOCTOR

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm

I thought it was strange why everyone was so happy looking at sad animals. I'd never go back to a zoo. I guess the normal thing to think is it's ok coz it's socially acceptable etc.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 11:50 pm

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
I thought it was strange why everyone was so happy looking at sad animals. I'd never go back to a zoo. I guess the normal thing to think is it's ok coz it's socially acceptable etc.

I never understood why I could go to a zoo when I could watch them on TV. My mom wants me to go to this place where you can watch wild meerkats but it's just that...watch. I could save a ton of money and resources by watching Meerkat Manor re runs. If I can't touch or interact with an animal, I have no desire to look at it let alone pay to look at it.

I am not against wild animals as pets as long as they are treated well. People keep tigers, lions and meerkats as pets and only have problems if the owner is an idot or the state is ignorant. Animals kept as pets seem so much happier than ones in zoos. If people scream and cry about certian species being critiacaly endangered, why do they not want private owners to breed them in captivity. Sure some may say because the tigers aren't pure Bengal or Siberian or whatever. Besides, I see that statement as nothing but an attempt to justify eugenics. I thought we looked down upon that after WW2? And besides Bengal tigers, Siberian tigers, Indo Chinese and all the others are still tigers after all. If wild populations continue to go down the drain, there won't be ANY tigers left in the wild. So be happy there are tiger "mutts", people. And just where are we going to release these "racially pure" animals? Let's just release them in a metropolian area where they will attack the people and they will shot and killed or lets release them on a farm or ranch where they will go after the livestock and get shot and killed by angry farmers. There are thousands, perhaps millions of species going extinct everyday. It is impossible to save them all so zoos try to only preserve popular or pretty animals such as tigers or pandas or animals that remind them of themselves such as chimpanzees and gorillias. If they truely want to save a species, they should leave the responisble exotic pet owners alone and go do something useful such as use all this money spent on tiger sperm banks and landscaping at zoos and go buy acres and acres of rainforest so no one can destroy it becuase it is private properity.

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2010, 5:49 am

wow... that really sounds like heaven to me.
as for suggestions-
Wi fi and internet connection in every room so we can go on here!!
En suites in the rooms
A huge library!
that would just make it better, but like i said, its already heaven :)

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 6:26 am

PunkyKat wrote:
Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:

I never understood why I could go to a zoo when I could watch them on TV. My mom wants me to go to this place where you can watch wild meerkats but it's just that...watch. I could save a ton of money and resources by watching Meerkat Manor re runs. If I can't touch or interact with an animal, I have no desire to look at it let alone pay to look at it.

I am not against wild animals as pets as long as they are treated well. People keep tigers, lions and meerkats as pets and only have problems if the owner is an idot or the state is ignorant. Animals kept as pets seem so much happier than ones in zoos. If people scream and cry about certian species being critiacaly endangered, why do they not want private owners to breed them in captivity. Sure some may say because the tigers aren't pure Bengal or Siberian or whatever. Besides, I see that statement as nothing but an attempt to justify eugenics. I thought we looked down upon that after WW2? And besides Bengal tigers, Siberian tigers, Indo Chinese and all the others are still tigers after all. If wild populations continue to go down the drain, there won't be ANY tigers left in the wild. So be happy there are tiger "mutts", people. And just where are we going to release these "racially pure" animals? Let's just release them in a metropolian area where they will attack the people and they will shot and killed or lets release them on a farm or ranch where they will go after the livestock and get shot and killed by angry farmers. There are thousands, perhaps millions of species going extinct everyday. It is impossible to save them all so zoos try to only preserve popular or pretty animals such as tigers or pandas or animals that remind them of themselves such as chimpanzees and gorillias. If they truely want to save a species, they should leave the responisble exotic pet owners alone and go do something useful such as use all this money spent on tiger sperm banks and landscaping at zoos and go buy acres and acres of rainforest so no one can destroy it becuase it is private properity.

Yea, we need bigger reservations to keep ecosystems integrated. I felt most disturbed by the smaller less popular animals that were over crowded in cages. There was a vibe of hysteria coming from them. Have you heard the story of Christian the Lion? A couple of Australian chaps adopted a lion cub and after he grew up they decided to send him to Africa to live on a conservation. Then, after a year they went back to visit him and his new pride. http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1515617660653

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Sep 2010, 6:57 am

I love this thread topic---especially since house plans have been a special intense interest of mine since I was a child. There were a few house plans I obsessed over. One was called "Enchanting Mansion of Luxury." I first saw it in a house plan book from the early 1980s, although the date the house was designed was the year I was born---1964. A few years ago I purchased the blueprints for it. The architectural firm had to locate the old plan in their backroom since it is no longer a plan they have in their books or on their website. The house is so much like me---ecclectic. You can look at it one way and see a large ranch, another way and see a gothic style home, look at the back and see New Orleans style ebellishments, look at the side and see a storybook style, etc. That house is a focal point of the novel I am writing. Ever since I was a youth, I have explored the rooms and hallways of that house in my mind. It could be my Utopia.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:05 am

Claradoon wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:
I just came here to make a post about this. I am thinking about such a place. I know people were trying to start one up awhile ago.

I forgot our pet elephant, and his family!

That would be amazing! :D

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 7:10 am

One of the very first Aspies I ever met was a very successful business man who'd made a lot of money with some sort of patent database. He had a mansion outside of Tacoma, and though I didn't quiz him about it he did mention that he had a massive greenhouse for pursuing his horticultural hobbies. I imagine that he had a lot of tech stuff as well, but it was the greenhouse that stuck out to me, I believe he said he had the largest collection of a particular plant in the state.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 1:06 pm

When can I move in? I suppose the only thing I would add, is if instead of their own room, people could have their own wards, perhaps. And perhaps some rooms being subterreanean, and others being like on the third floor, of course, and balconies. And of course, everyone decorating their own room to their taste.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 2:02 pm

May we have a laboratory? I'm there. I've dreamt similarly but that the Wrong Planet, with all of us, is envisioned like a giant hive......like the Borg Collective. A mansion or castle is awesome! With a drawbridge, of course. I'd love to have a pet.

What No. address should our castle/mansion be? Maybe a binary number.....or a meaningful number so we can have our mail delivered.

Claradoon, C. Jung is spot on. btw: I've been taking melatonin as of late and have been having nightmares :cry:

[Ironic, in that as of just this week I have relocated to the UK (from Alaska) at University (PhD programme) - I love this place but, at the same time, this transition can be hard. Not to be off-topic, but I had a (mild) private meltdown this afternoon, likely from logistics (i.e., not being able to establish a bank yet and no mobile phone No. and being in a rush, etc). BUT - - I just now got a new email account. I might post in the Haven later. I know no one except my Wrong Planet virtual friends.]

Claradoon - I wish I had a mansion home to come home to right now.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 2:38 pm

I'd like a very large painting studio to add to my private suite.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 4:08 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
A HUGE place with meerkats all over the place. Instead of lions on the steps, there would be meerkats. I'd even have live meerkats runing about. I'd dress them up in diamond and rhinestone collars and give them huge sandboxes to dig in and acres and tall posts to climb and and several acres of enclosed (so nothing could get them) of outdoor area to play in. A posh palace for meerkats. Better than any zoo.

Meerkats are horrible pets. They go insane if kept alone and need constant social stimulation, they'll ruin your house, give you nasty bites, have trouble breeding in captivity (most of the babies die), and they're illegal to keep as pets, so you can kiss your dream of having pet meerkats goodbye. Oh yeah, and sometimes they kill each other's babies. I hope you like baby meerkat corpses lying around your dream home.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 4:20 pm

Meadow wrote:
I'd like a very large painting studio to add to my private suite.

OK, yes, that plus the laboratory. Do not forget the fainting couch.

About meerkats....that's discouraging news (@Delirium) but, on the upside, it's a dream so we can imagine the virtual meerkats will be happy in their own fancy and suitable biome. I say, bring on the meerkats :)

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 4:30 pm

Read the book Walden Two.
I think they have most of the bugs worked out.
It's a 'community' setting, where they share 'work credits' and have figured out how to make a place run with minimal actual work from each person. Could conceivably work in a mansion variation.

Author: BF Skinner.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 2:10 pm

We'd have to have a LOT of kitties, though. :D

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain