Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2010, 11:58 pm

Can it be normal for Aspies to have mood swings? For instance, I have literally gone from down/depressed this morning, to tired/crabby this afternoon, to energetic/racing thoughts/irritable this evening, to morose/listless tonight. My moods change rapidly throughout the day, although some days aren't as bad as others - and I don't know if these are just "normal" mood swings that I am making too big of a deal out of, or not. I also find that environmental factors can trigger/exacerbate the swings, such as sugar, lack of sleep, people disrupting my structure, etc. I also have ADHD (inattentive type) and I am on an antidepressant and a stimulant medication, although I did kind of notice the mood swings before the meds.

Anyone else have similar experiences??

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:10 am

People cause my mood swings.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2010, 12:15 am

I'm not on any meds right now and my mood swings have gotten intense. Like to the point where I've been close to tears in public because I have some kind of sad thought. It's worth it, though--I didn't have any emotions at all on the last anti-depressant I was on. Just zombie all the time.

I think mood swings are normal--you may be reacting to environmental factors that you aren't aware of...triggers...something.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:16 am

A generic doctor might say that's an indicator for bipolar. I don't even have obvious cycles/swings and I was told that...

But technically, I don't know. I occasionally get them.

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2010, 2:01 am

I have been suffering of mild mood swings ever since I have bumped up my caffeine intake. It's a shame, I felt so normal on SSRIs but the caffeine is making me go up and down. That's why I am now trying to taper off of coffee.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 2:14 am

DW wrote:
I have been suffering of mild mood swings ever since I have bumped up my caffeine intake. It's a shame, I felt so normal on SSRIs but the caffeine is making me go up and down. That's why I am now trying to taper off of coffee.

Interesting you say this because I gave up coffee / caffeine cold turkey 10 days ago and my moods haven't been this evened out in years. I never expected this, nor was moodiness the reason I gave up coffee in the first place. I lived and breathed coffee, but never again. I wish I hadn't waited until now.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 5:20 am

I used to get told that I had wild mood swings when I was in my 20s, but these days it would be hard to find a more stable, composed person. I guess I've been through a lot of stuff with people and so very little surprises me, and the things that used to really upset me or scare me don't really get to me like they used to. Problems with partners have been the biggest source of my wacky moods.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 7:20 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
People cause my mood swings.

That's the way it is for me too. Aspies can have mood swings and it doesn't mean they are bipolar.

Bipolar mood swings are usually extreme. Most of the time they are depressed and then for a day or two every now and then, they will be super high and indestructible. They feel really good when they are in the high state, but they tend to do crazy things like stand on the hood of a car while its going 90 mph or climb the side of a skyscraper.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 7:28 am

I think it's normal for any person to have mood swings. People with aspergers are also more "sensitive".

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2010, 8:08 am

Definetly. Yesterday is way went to a party, socialized a bit and met some interesting people - I was pretty happy and was planning to go to a party today as well (I don't like them in general, but I had a good time yesterday so why not). Today I'm basicly depressed and low on life. I've contemplated whether I should go or not - but whenever I'm depressed everything has to make sense/have purpose for me to do it. I think I'll just spend the day studying/read up on interests - like usual.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm

I do a lot. I used to think I was bipolar - but I don't have the cycles or the depression, just quite sudden moods and sometimes very sudden rage that turns into meltdowns. A lot depends on the environment and stress levels - maybe try to focus on what's going around you when you have a mood swing and then you can figure it out.

nelle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2010, 1:25 pm

avoiding gluten has helped me keep me more balanced so far as moods go.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 6:01 pm

Mine have been bad for the past few months and things that used to not bug me now bug me and I have been crying more.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 6:11 pm

My mood swings are more prevalent when I'm at home because I'm not on my medication. I'm trying to quit my anti-depressants but when I start taking my Adderall again in the fall, I don't know how I'll do without my anti-depressants. I cry a lot and lash out at people for no reason. It makes me feel like a bad person and I hate feeling like that. :(

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 6:14 pm

Some seem to be so stable... I'm certainly not like that. I know my depression is clinical and needed treatment but part from that I'm not sure what my mood swings are "from". Sometimes they happen because of people, sometimes because of changes in daylight,sometimes because of interest and excitement... they seem to be a mix of all kinds of things.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 8:39 pm

My mom says I had mood swings ever since I was a child (maybe even a toddler). I've always suspected I might have bipolar as well. The meds I've taken messed me up and now I refuse to take any med.