i find it funny how people here love to use the word ret*d.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

do you use the r word
yes 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
no 46%  46%  [ 23 ]
sometimes 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 50

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

I don't really see anyone using the word 'ret*d' or 'ret*d' in an offensive way around here.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:02 pm

I find it, a little ironic, myself. I associate that word, with bad Elementary and High School memories. I was called that label by my peers, quite a bit. I was also asked, if I was smart in various regular classes, by various kids, who lived in my old neighbourhood. I know what that question really meant. Do you get good grades, in this class, or are you the R-Word? I'm amazed, that some people here aren't bothered by that word. I hope that the excessive use, of the R-Word will not be the wave, of the future.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:06 pm

Callista wrote:
I just think it's obnoxious the way people are using a diagnostic label as an insult. It's just... I mean, what in the world is wrong with being ret*d? Nothing. Not a freaking thing. And yet it's an insult...

How would you feel, if people thought that part of who you were and how you thought were an intrinsically insulting thing to say about a person?

Well, come to think of it, maybe we do get it sometimes, because I've seen 'autistic' used as an adjective meaning "selfish" or "sociopathic"; but... it's nowhere near the level of use that "ret*d" sees.

This is so true!! !! !! !

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:15 pm

I don't like it how people use the word as an insult. They basically took a word and made it into something nasty. "ret*d" was just a diagostic label, now it's unfortunately used as an insult more often.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:17 pm

Yes I use it. People need to suck it up ret*d means slow and on my scale slow is pretty common.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Yes I use it. People need to suck it up ret*d means slow and on my scale slow is pretty common.

Slow in what sense?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 6:28 pm

'ret*d', as a word, just means 'slow'. People took the word and made it mean 'mentally ret*d', then other people took it and made it 'offensive'.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 7:12 am

:cry:

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 7:14 am

I never use that word. I prefer mentally challenged. It's just... not as bad to say. And I don't like it as slang either.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 8:17 am

Pistonhead wrote:

on your scale?

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 9:37 am

I'm not sure what the medical term is for it but I definitely go out of my way to not use the word "ret*d" for anything. Can't tell you how many times that word has been used on me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 12:25 pm

green0star wrote:
I'm not sure what the medical term is for it but I definitely go out of my way to not use the word "ret*d" for anything. Can't tell you how many times that word has been used on me.

"ret*d" IS the medical term.

Or it atleast it WAS.

Back in the 20 and 30's the solemn members of the medical and scientific establishment began to classify the intellectually impaired (and grade them by levels)- and they used (as actual medical terms) labels like "moron" and "imbecile".

In post war American the scientists decided they should stop using terms that are epithets as medical labels. So they pulled out a fancy French word for "delayed" as the new euphemism for the folks they had been labeling "imbecils" and "morons". That word of course was "ret*d".

ret*d became the standard medical term in the Fifties.

However by the late Fifties and Sixties the term had leaked out of the halls of medicine and was on the lips of every grade school on the playgrounds of America. I, and all my boomer generation cohorts (and all of the waves of kids since) have both hurled, and recieved, the R epithet growing up.

But like you, and like most aspie kids, I was the target more often than the hurler of it.

So by the Seventies the establishment decided they needed a euphemism for the word that was itself originally a euphemism. So then it became taboo to say "ret*d", and you had start saying "mentally challenged".

Call it sad, or call it funny, but the world seems to need to keep finding euphemisms for...euphemisms!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 2:04 pm

I admit I use it sometimes for when I wrote my stories online and had the characters using it and one of the characters picking it up in school from her friends and peers and starts using it herself saying it's a figure of speech. That is what I was told in high school too and I was always hearing that word when I was I high school.Plus I was called it growing up so my character is called it in my story.

ret*d just means delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment. So that definition implies it only means humans, not on objects.

ret*d just means less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age. Then there is the new definition of the word and it said very foolish or stupid.

Source: Google.

But people don't use these words right anymore and it's become a slang and now it has turned into a bad word like the N word has.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

"ret*d" is a more accurate descriptor then the current "intellectually disabled".

"ret*d" was almost exclusively used as an insult and taunt when referring to other students in the schools I was in during the 1960's and 1970's. "ret*d" is a more recent as a common expression. I have never heard or seen used it used in any other way then as an insult.

ret*d(pejorative) - Wikipedia

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 9:07 pm

Even though I grew up going to school in the 90s and 00s, I am surprised the slang "ret*d" (or any slang derivative) was even used far back as the 50s and 60s. Always thought it was a more 90s or 00s thing. The word had a very long run.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

lostD wrote:
Mental retardation does exist and I do not see why nobody should be able to use the word ret*d as long as it truly means mental retardation.

I have used it when I was talking about mental retardation and when I talked about the "nickname" which had been given to me when I was in high school. I do not see why I should be ashamed, I respect people with mental retardation just as I respect people who are gifted and people who are in the normal range of intelligence.

We should stop using neutral words as an insult or take it negatively, they are just words. It is just like when someone says "I am fat" and everyone assume it is negative and starts using other words for that, it is not negative unless you think it is and we will not change the world by being politically correct and using euphemism because someone did not like being called "fat" or "blind".

In my country, "autist" is an insult now, but we still call an autist an autist because this is what they are.

That isn't even what the term means the original meaning is essentially to slow something:
ret*d

verb (used with object)
1.to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
verb (used without object)
2.to be delayed.

also:
noun
a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a contemptuous term used to refer to a person who is cognitively impaired.
a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:
a hopeless social ret*d.
Automotive, Machinery. an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle.

but the original meaning is to slow and has nothing to do with people with mental impairments, which now the correct term is intellectual disability.