Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 9:03 am

I hate the toothpaste, and I can't stand mint. That's why I can't use the Scope or Listerine, either. As soon as I put it in my mouth, I have to spit it out because it burns and it really hurts. No one believes that, though. They say I am just imagining things, as always. :roll:

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:06 am

to brush in certain directions on certain teeth, i must use both hands to steady the brush, or else i will injure myself by crashing into teeth, gums, etc.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Aug 2010, 4:18 am

Crest has a blue toothpaste that I like - mentioned in a post above. And a Braun toothbrush. I didn't get serious about brushing teeth until they started to fall out. So I talked it over with dentist who said to brush with Crest Prevident ($16!) and nothing else and to floss etc. Well, I wish he'd said that sooner. Because Prevident is the one I don't mind at all.

Another thing: "Go Betweens" - they come in packets and they look like tiny toothbrushes. I keep them next to my TV chair and use them instead of floss (never did get used to floss). And when I run out of Go Betweens I use toothpicks, but they don't get as much done.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:44 am

I don't have this issue with brushing my teeth, never had.

I go for Colgate though, it's suppose to be most affective and it is for me. :)

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 1:54 pm

I have problems with brushing my teeth with most toothpaste. The only one I am able to use is Tom's and its meant for children. Otherwise it burns so much that I can't brush. I have sensitive teeth. On top of that, I have very many cavities because most of my enamel is gone, my teeth have been reduced in size because of grinding since 7th grade and stress. I am too scared to use a bite guard at night because it feels like I am going to swallow it in the middle of the night but in reality its too late to save my teeth. It will always have many cavities (I am talking double digits) even while I brush there is no protection anymore. I floss as well but it doesn't help. I just have bad teeth and I don't think the toothpaste I use offers as much protection against cavities as the stronger brands. I remember in 7th grade the dentist said that if I didn't stop grinding my teeth would be gone by the time I reached my 30's. It really was that bad. I think I need a bite guard to wear even during the day (now that is when I grind rather than the night time) I hope insurance covers it and that it doesn't feel too weird in my mouth.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 2:30 pm

I too had the awful burning in my mouth, so for a while I used kiddy toothpaste with some sort of weird bubblegum flavor. I've lost my sensitivity to it now though, and I can use normal toothpaste.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Aug 2010, 5:02 pm

Electric toothbrush, one of my latest investment. Brushing my teeth has never been easier.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 6:02 pm

Funny. I thought listerine was suppossed to burn a bit. Does for me too.

My biggest problem with brushing teeth is that I don't have too regular a sleep pattern, so I wind up thinking 'oh I'll brush them when I really go to bed' and wake up 4 hours later on the couch having never brushed.

I could brush my teeth right after eating, but... ick on mixing tastes.

Also bad is that I have sensitive nose, so I learned to breathe through my mouth early in life - having a dry mouth (breathing with open mouth = dry) means no saliva protecting your teeth against bacteria.. so that was also not helping me in any way shape or form.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2010, 11:05 am

i do know some other aspies that have issues with brushing their teeth as well as showering regularly clipping toenails e.t.c. i myself have never had this issue. it may be why i don't really hang with other aspies though

DarkReo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2010, 1:00 am

I'm having problem with brushing my teeth when I was still a child. Whenever I try to brush my teeth, the front one will bleed even I tried as soft as I can. I had tried to told this to my parent but they just said that it was because my teeth was dirty. And so I'm tired of telling about the same thing again. I gave up and lost a habit of brushing my teeth....
Now I seldom brush my teeth because the same thing are still happening, I only brush my teeth for once around 1 or 2 months. I know my mouth would still be smelly even I wash my mouth every time after eating. but will my teeth break if I keep continue the same thing? or is there any other idea that can help me to solve my problem?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 1:08 am

DarkReo wrote:
I'm having problem with brushing my teeth when I was still a child. Whenever I try to brush my teeth, the front one will bleed even I tried as soft as I can. I had tried to told this to my parent but they just said that it was because my teeth was dirty. And so I'm tired of telling about the same thing again. I gave up and lost a habit of brushing my teeth....Now I seldom brush my teeth because the same thing are still happening, I only brush my teeth for once around 1 or 2 months. I know my mouth would still be smelly even I wash my mouth every time after eating. but will my teeth break if I keep continue the same thing? or is there any other idea that can help me to solve my problem?

PLEASE see a dentist NOW! if $$$ is a problem consider a dental school or university/college dental program whose students need to learn by treating actual patients and do so for a discount.
the wrong toothbrush can cause bleeding, you need SOFT bristles! but remember that once you lose your teeth, they ain't coming back EVER! it will be dentures in the cup for you, so please take proper care of your teeth.

Truthful_One
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2010, 1:05 am

I can't get myself to brush my teeth. I don't even know why. I don't think the toothpaste is too strong. It's more like it's an invasion, a touch I don't want. And maybe it's work and boring. It's ironic because I do care how I look. I'm picky about my hair. I do try to brush my teeth before meeting other people. But a lot of times I just do gum. Just that I feel guilty about that now that I've heard the phenylalanin (or something like that) is bad for your nerves. And I need all the nerves I can get when I go out. Also, I'm doing more and more of the Bach's rescue gums which are bad for my teeth. Tonight, I've eaten a lot of sweets so I could stay awake and fold laundry... but I know neither that nor the tooth brushing will happen, although I'd feel so much better if I could actually do it. I've also suffered from depression all my life. There's just no way I'll take responsibility for myself that much that I'll actually do preventive measures like brushing teeth. It would feel like giving in to something, like acknowledging myself or something. I just CAN'T. Help?

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 1:29 am

I hate brushing my teeth. To help I found a tooth past that has a flavor I like: cinnamon. The suggestion you got about Toms of Maine are good. I also found Biotene is good as well. For the gums, you could try like a water pick and use that alternating days or buy a Braun regardless tooth brush with the small round head. That might allow you to brush with more precision and avoid the gums.

Good luck.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 3:31 am

DarkReo wrote:
Whenever I try to brush my teeth, the front one will bleed even I tried as soft as I can

for me the more often i floss the less this happens. if i don't floss for awhile i will bleed again when i floss or brush. it hurts but i force myself to do it.

i am ok brushing my teeth except for occasionally gagging. i'm surprised because i sometimes tickle the inside of my mouth with my tongue and can't figure out where to keep it that it won't tickle ..

i do have trouble with mouthwash though. it burns too much.

and when they have to do those teeth molds at the dentist i have a really hard time. i've gagged and spat them out before they had solidified, which is something i don't recommend ..

i have a really sensitive gag reflex. i could not swallow pills until i was an adult. and also the feeling makes me panic .. swallowing anything slightly uncomfortable is really awful and i cry when i throw up. i have a hard time tolerating anything even touching the outside of my throat. if i put on a scarf i pull at it all day. i have a lot of shirts with collars cut off. it solves this problem and the issue with the tags and the collar seams all at once.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Nov 2010, 2:34 pm

i have the hardest time keeping my teeth in good shape!

I brush these babys like its outta style and they still give me grief! :x

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 3:27 pm

For gag reflexes and aversions to toothpaste, buy the smallest and softest toothbrush you can find. Many people like to use a baby or toddler toothbrush. A smaller head is easier to control and less likely to make you gag. If you can't stand the brush texture you can use just about anything else like a rag or a Q-tip (or twig!) to do it, though a brush does a better job because its bristles get into crevices better than any other tool. Flossing is equally important as brushing because, obviously, nothing else will clean between your teeth.

Toothpaste contains soap, gentle abrasives, and a bit of flouride. None of these things are strictly necessary for oral health in adults. Therefore there is very little benefit to brushing with toothpaste than brushing with plain water. You can use baby or toddler toothpaste which do not foam or contain strong flavors if you like the fresh feeling toothpaste gives your mouth. Otherwise there is no benefit from toothpaste and you can avoid it altogether.

The benefit from tooth-brushing is scraping sticky plaque off your teeth and especially around your gum-line. Once plaque has hardened into tartar, it cannot be removed by brushing and must be scaled off with a special pick at the dentist. So if you only brush once a week or once a month it's no better than brushing never. Doing it every day is what provides the main benefits.

And if your problem is cavities, try to avoid sweet acidic things such as juice or pop. Everyone seems to understand that sweets can cause cavities but not many people outside the dental profession are aware that acid is the worse culprit at eroding enamel.

I'm a licenced dental assistant which is why I can tell you these things.