Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 9:02 pm

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo, and I'm wondering what other aspies/auties have experienced when getting one. I came up with and semi-designed what I want myself but don't plan to do it for a few months. Both my moms have gotten tattoos and they gave me VERY different descriptions of the pain/sensation of getting their tattoos. I realize their is pain involved, but I really like and have a connection with the design I created. I'm planning to have it done by one of the artists, or at least at one of the tattoo parlors where my parents got theirs so I know the stuff is sterilized.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 9:06 pm

I have a badass fake tattoo on my arm at the moment.

I've heard very mixed things about tattooing, from people bawwwwing and people who describe it as just mild discomfort. I think it might have to do with the scale of your tattoo and location you pick.

I'd also warn an aspie on getting a tattoo of an interest if their interests are prone to changing.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

Peko wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a tattoo, and I'm wondering what other aspies/auties have experienced when getting one. I came up with and semi-designed what I want myself but don't plan to do it for a few months. Both my moms have gotten tattoos and they gave me VERY different descriptions of the pain/sensation of getting their tattoos. I realize their is pain involved, but I really like and have a connection with the design I created. I'm planning to have it done by one of the artists, or at least at one of the tattoo parlors where my parents got theirs so I know the stuff is sterilized.

I have a depiction of Castor and Pollux on my back. I was working nightshifts - perfect job for an aspie with sleeping issues, though I wasn't diagnosed at the time - and was booked in to have it done 2 hours after my shift ended.

I lay belly-down on the couch and the tattooist went about his work. Far from finding it a painful experience, I was really relaxed by the ministrations of the needle and fell asleep after a few minutes of him starting. I wonder if I'd sleep better on a bed of nails...

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 9:26 pm

I'm certain I'll always at least appreciate my design b/c I came up with it myself. I ended up going through a phase where I wanted to determine my "personal symbol" and realized that b/c I've always liked the night, grew up around horses as a young child & stuff that I've got a deep connection to horses and the moon. Particularly I have a thing for white/silver horses. Also, my chinese & western zodiacs are the horse & sagittarius (irony anyone :D) and I picked the moon phase I was born under. I also noticed I tend to draw a small teardrop on almost anything I work on & ended up designing a rearing white/silver horse crying w/ a single tear showing falling down its head in the moons shadow. So it looks like its crying in2 the moon. The only thing I'm having trouble deciding are if silver will come out well on my skin & if I wanted to add my favorite flower (a rose) at the bottom b/c I originally also had the horse's one hoof dripping blood from stepping on the rose? I kinda surprised myself w/ drawing the whole thing myself, but I based the horse on an online drawing I found since I can't draw horses or moon phases w/o visual aide.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

Peko wrote:
I'm certain I'll always at least appreciate my design b/c I came up with it myself. I ended up going through a phase where I wanted to determine my "personal symbol" and realized that b/c I've always liked the night, grew up around horses as a young child & stuff that I've got a deep connection to horses and the moon. Particularly I have a thing for white/silver horses. Also, my chinese & western zodiacs are the horse & sagittarius (irony anyone :D) and I picked the moon phase I was born under. I also noticed I tend to draw a small teardrop on almost anything I work on & ended up designing a rearing white/silver horse crying w/ a single tear showing falling down its head in the moons shadow. So it looks like its crying in2 the moon. The only thing I'm having trouble deciding are if silver will come out well on my skin & if I wanted to add my favorite flower (a rose) at the bottom b/c I originally also had the horse's one hoof dripping blood from stepping on the rose? I kinda surprised myself w/ drawing the whole thing myself, but I based the horse on an online drawing I found since I can't draw horses or moon phases w/o visual aide.

I'm terrible at visual art. Your design sounds interesting, I hope it comes out as well as you're hoping. If it does I might ask you to design one for me too!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 10:11 pm

Last edited by Willard on 01 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

EtherealTiger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2010, 10:18 pm

yeah, when i regain control on my mind im getting written ink down my arms. it marks conquering all the BS my ret*d, middle class conformist family put me through cus of being different.
i'm writing 'Never Suffer' down left arm and 'Never Falter' down the right from All That Remains songs. The music was a big motivation for me staying alive during a recent rough patch. i haven't checked into fonts yet but that will be soon.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2010, 10:27 pm

When I got my first tattoo, I threw up in the middle of it. Mostly nerves, but I also had eaten a chocolate muffin two minutes before getting the tattoo. Aside from that it was surprisingly mild, I would describe it as boring with a few uncomfortable parts. But to be fair, I do have a very high pain thresh-hold.

I have six tattoos in all, two on one knee, one on my back, one on my right forearm and one on each shoulder. The ones on my knee and back tickled.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 10:39 pm

Last edited by Willard on 01 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 12:10 am

I want a meerkat (my special intrest) tatoo and am getting meerkat stripes tatooed down my back as soon as I moved out. I'm also considering having dark outines tatooed around my eyes, just like a meerkat's. I'm also considering having my ears altered so they'll look like a meerkat's and having my fith finger (and toe) amputated so I will have four digits just like a meerkat and having my palms and finger tips tattoed to look like paws. I have a HIGH pain threshold and it would be so worth it. I might even get my teeth filed to look sharper. I've taught myself to block out pain so I think I could endure it and it would be so worth it.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 12:16 am

I'd never get one.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2010, 12:48 am

I love tattoos. I'm an enthusiast. Have been tattooed four times - but one is on top of the other.
I love the way it feels. To me it's not painful at all, only sensation. As mentioned above, your body responds with endorphins which make it all the better. I have a decreased ability to feel pain, though. Hard to describe what tattooing really feels like - maybe warmth, a stinging sensation tingling outwards, a slight sharp dragging like being cut with a very sharp scalpel. It's awesome. I got tattooed over my spinal chord, which is supposed to be one of the ouchy places, and it was fine. It took three hours and it was one damn good way to spend an afternoon.
All mine are crows/ravens, in connection with one of my special interests - Irish polytheistic Paganism and the goddess Morrígan. I plan on getting tattooed a bunch more times :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 1:46 am

buryuntime wrote:
I'd also warn an aspie on getting a tattoo of an interest if their interests are prone to changing.

Good advice! A couple of years ago, I wanted a tattoo of the Hellsing OVA logo: [link]. Since I'm no longer a Hellsing fan, I would have probably wound up regretting that.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 12:34 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Peko wrote:

I'm terrible at visual art. Your design sounds interesting, I hope it comes out as well as you're hoping. If it does I might ask you to design one for me too!

I'm not going to get mine done for awhile, probably not until the semester break at the earliest so I can arrange to have my parents take me to a reputable parlor/artist. Its not worth the risk of diseases to get it done by friends, etc.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 1:42 pm

Last edited by Willard on 01 Sep 2010, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 7:05 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I'd never get one.

You shouldn't get one at your age anyway b/c I don't know if you could find a good/safe tattoo parlor that will do minors... and even if they do its not really worth the risk of doing permanent damage to yourself while your still young anyway. Well, your younger than I am :)

I never thought I'd have/want friends at your age now I've got a close group plus many others I talk on and off with. You simply can never know where life will take you or what it'll throw at you.