Why is it socially acceptable to make fun of someone if.....

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 9:53 am

So, why is it socially acceptable to make fun of a guy if he has a below average job/lives at home..both fixable situations

Yet, it isn't socially acceptable to make of fat people...which is also a fixable situation.

I'm not trying to offend anyway. Just an observation I have made in the last couple of years.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:00 am

Because fat people serve an important purpose- if we ever get invaded by aliens they will eat the fat people first.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:04 am

Generally speaking, the more in control of something a person is, the more acceptable a target he/she is for that something, and vice versa. Though, we act as if things like intelligence and personality are things that are in a persons control, hence the number of 'dumb jerks' to make fun of, like Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:14 am

I don't think it's more acceptable either way worldwide, but may be so in your region, or among the people you have spent time aound. Making jokes about someone's condition or lot in life is primarily dependant on the values and security and conditions of the people making the jokes.

Gatherings of skinny people will giggle about fat people taking two seats on the airplane.
People with government jobs that pay well & have benefits, etc will make fun of McWorkers.
And so on.

Thus which jokes are funny to which people depends on the social status of the people involved in the current joke-telling-circle and often the same joke won't strike other social gatherings as funny, simply because they have a different perspective on what is "odd" and thus what "oddities" they prefer to make fun of.

If I told a joke making fun of french people fallling off a bridge to a group of french people they wouln't laugh.

If I told the same joke, but made it about Neufoundlanders (substitute culture) falling of a bridge, the french guys would laugh.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:22 am

In my area, the fat people vastly outnumber the skinny people. I've seen this so much here: It's okay for the fat people to make fun of skinny people, but if skinny people say something about a fat person, it's discrimatory. I'm a thin person myself and it's not a choice for me: I have an extremely high metabolism and I'll probably never even reach 100 pounds. At least fat people always have the option of losing weight or getting lyposuction (sorry, I have no idea of how to spell that word!). I'd actually love to gain a few pounds so I can start fitting in juniors clothes and stuff and I am so sick of getting stared out and even glared at by people who weigh quite a bit more than me. So in a weird sort of way, I do understand how you feel.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 10:43 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
So, why is it socially acceptable to make fun of a guy if he has a below average job/lives at home..both fixable situations

Yet, it isn't socially acceptable to make of fat people...which is also a fixable situation.

I'm not trying to offend anyway. Just an observation I have made in the last couple of years.

I guess because many fat people have an eating disorder. It's a mental issue that's difficult to overcome.
While someone with a below average job and living at home is just seen as someone who isn't motivated enough.

So I guess it isn't about fixable and non-fixable, but rather how easy or hard it is to fix the situation..or at least according to today's society. But of course we all know that just because something's accepted by the social norm doesn't mean it's right. Things aren't always what they seem. That fat person might actually not have an eating disorder and just eats a lot because they enjoy it. And that person with a poor job and still lives at home could be suffering from social anxiety so it makes it difficult for them to get a better job and their own place.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:00 am

I dont care about socially acceptable. I make fun of fats, skinnies, blacks, jews mexicans, whites, middle eastern, european, asian, budhist, hindu, etc.
I dont care what is PC i just say whats funny and on my mind.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:02 am

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
I guess because many fat people have an eating disorder. It's a mental issue that's difficult to overcome.
While someone with a below average job and living at home is just seen as someone who isn't motivated enough.

So I guess it isn't about fixable and non-fixable, but rather how easy or hard it is to fix the situation..or at least according to today's society. But of course we all know that just because something's accepted by the social norm doesn't mean it's right. Things aren't always what they seem. That fat person might actually not have an eating disorder and just eats a lot because they enjoy it. And that person with a poor job and still lives at home could be suffering from social anxiety so it makes it difficult for them to get a better job and their own place.

90% of fat people are fat because they dont get off their ass and do any effort to loose weight. I know many people that i consider extremely fat and they drown in their tears of how fat they are yet they dont do crap about it. Thats also known as not being motivated enough. So we can make fun of them. I vote we follow fat people while playing the tuba.

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2010, 11:03 am

I think it's easier to make fun of people who live at home over fat people because so many people are becoming fat. If I remember correctly, about 2/3 of adults are either overweight or obese. So fat has become the norm in America, at least.

People who have bad jobs and/or live at home are just seen as lazy bums eating taxpayer's dollars by most people. If you listen to enough Republican blabber, you'd think being broke would be worse than anything in the world. Even a person running for governor in NY wants to empty jails and put poor people in them. It's quite disturbing.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:06 am

ApsieGuy wrote:
So, why is it socially acceptable to make fun of a guy if he has a below average job/lives at home..

Yet, it isn't socially acceptable to make of fat people...

For people who wrongly believe it is okay to do do that at all, the guy at home will probably not be as likely to slap them as a beefer might be.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:10 am

leejosepho wrote:
ApsieGuy wrote:
So, why is it socially acceptable to make fun of a guy if he has a below average job/lives at home..

Yet, it isn't socially acceptable to make of fat people...

For people who wrongly believe it is okay to do do that at all, the guy at home will probably not be as likely to slap them as a beefer might be.

If a fat guy can slap you then you might have to be blind not to see it coming.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:20 am

clumsybee wrote:
I think it's easier to make fun of people who live at home over fat people because so many people are becoming fat. If I remember correctly, about 2/3 of adults are either overweight or obese. So fat has become the norm in America, at least.

People who have bad jobs and/or live at home are just seen as lazy bums eating taxpayer's dollars by most people. If you listen to enough Republican blabber, you'd think being broke would be worse than anything in the world. Even a person running for governor in NY wants to empty jails and put poor people in them. It's quite disturbing.

If the goverment threw all the people in jail, who would work the jobs they work?

Why does no one grasp this?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:28 am

MXH wrote:
If a fat guy can slap you then you might have to be blind not to see it coming.

Sure, and that fact just might be part of the intimidation used by large people to keep others from making fun of them.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:38 am

clumsybee wrote:

Also, fat people do quite a number on insurance companies

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:41 am

The other day I went somewhere and everyone in the room besides my family was very overweight. I wanted to ask my family later why everyone there was fat, but didn't. I don't understand why so many people are very overweight, yet I'm not allowed to comment on it, either. People often comment on someone if they are "too skinny".

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 11:41 am