Special interests interfering with sleep

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:47 am

Do your special interests often keep you from sleeping, even if you're tired or should be?

Right now I can't sleep because one of the bands I'm in today recorded and posted a few songs, as well as got our Facebook and other social media stuff in order and made public. It's a project I've had on the side for a while - a very trippy funky jam band.

I also often get kept up because I keep wanting to play music - I usually try to go to bed around 2 AM, but many nights I just keep playing until 7 AM or later - those nights I feel like my brain is going at full throttle and there's no stopping it to sleep.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:50 am

Yes, I always have that and I take sleeping pills but I still don't take my sleeping pills unles I'm actually tired enough to go to bed. i like staying up and learning about my special interests.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:52 am

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Yes, I always have that and I take sleeping pills but I still don't take my sleeping pills unles I'm actually tired enough to go to bed. i like staying up and learning about my special interests.

I like staying up and doing special interest stuff, too - I find it strange how even if I am very tired, getting into special interest stuff makes all the tiredness go away - much better at making me feel awake than caffeine or anything.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2012, 7:55 am

Yes! Whether it is special interests, or just my thoughts running wild, it keeps me from sleeping. I don't take sleeping pills, but it has gotten worse the past few days. Mainly due to nerves of seeing a psychologist in a few days.

AQ: 36

oxjox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jun 2012, 8:16 am

I don't have any qualms about postponing the end of my day. If only the rest of the world would wait for me to start the next day...

Pipilo

11 Jun 2012, 8:20 am

I think I often love my special interests more than I love sleep, which is saying something, because I really do love sleep.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:21 am

I resent having to stop my special interests for any reason. Sleep is a particularly annoying reason, because it causes a stoppage of long duration.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2012, 10:39 am

I went until 4:30ish this morning, locked, fixed and dilated and focused... I usually only go until 2AM.

The worst is when I have housework to do and my interest du jour keeps side tracking me.

I find myself weighing the options: Do laundry or dive down the rabbit-hole again.

Even better is convincing yourself that you have time to indulge yourself, then totally losing track of time, forgetting to pick up BF from work, forgetting to marinate dinner, forgetting just about everything else. Some esplainin to do.....

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:45 am

All the time. It is extremely annoying and it gets to where I can't get anything else done. If I don't get anything else done, I'm forced to do it around 1 or 2am. I end up staying up until 3 our so.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:51 am

All the time.

The night is the time that my job doesn't interfere, so naturally it gets used for as many of my interests as I feel like, often until 4 or 4:30am even when I have work the next day.

Tonight there my usual hour of dance and then afterwards was a major jamming session on my congas, and now I will probably read on my other interests until 4 am.

Eventually my fingers get too tired if I am playing my instruments, or my eyes get tired from reading so I do have to do those annoying sleeping / eating things eventually.

Sometimes even when I try to sleep they keep me up all night thinking about them.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 11:03 am

Atomsk wrote:
Do your special interests often keep you from sleeping, even if you're tired or should be?

Yes, unfortunatly they do. I have managed to fix this problem, somewhat. My wife has helped me a great deal by "dragging" me to bed. I also wrote a sleep diary for two months, that helped alot. I've gone from going to bed between 03:00-07:00 to 23:00-01:00. This has really helped me cope during the days since lately I've had to get up between 06:00 and 09:00. The last 3 weeks I had to get up at 06:00 so I'm really glad I got it sortof sorted. :)

I can recommend a sleep diary if you want to get a better sleep pattern/rythm.

(it used to be alot worse, I used to go to bed between 05:00 and 11:00, and sleep all day instead. My pattern has always been out of wack, hard to explain in detail really)

Konstans
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

I usually lie in bed for 4-6 hours before I fall to sleep. I refuse taking sleeping pills, so then I lie most of the night thinking of special interest.
So, to answer your question: Yes, special interest keeps me awake!!

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

Many many many times over.

I cannot tell you the number of times Ive been up in the wee hours of the morn because I discovered a vulnerability, or found a piece of code that was built wrong, and had to fix it, only to find out "Geeze, its 3am already."

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

Yep and if it is not the interest itself then it is thoughts about the interest and trying to wind down
Unfortunately the only time I have is weekday evenings. I try to catch up on sleep at weekends

Legendwind
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

I hate going to sleep because it means my muse will be diminished by the time I wake up again and I need to re-enthrall myself in whatever I'm working on. I had to write an exam today and yet I stayed up until 4:00 in the morning and only managed an hour of sleep because I could not stop playing the piano. I get in a state where time just doesn't matter and it's irrelevant to me, and last night was one of those stages. Sleep frustrates me, but I also enjoy it when it doesn't interrupt me.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 4:03 pm

MarthaCannary wrote:
Even better is convincing yourself that you have time to indulge yourself, then totally losing track of time, forgetting to pick up BF from work, forgetting to marinate dinner, forgetting just about everything else. Some esplainin to do.....

This happens to me so often... forgetting to do things because of a special interest.