Any aspies going on AFS (overseas exchange)?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Claire_Louise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2010, 3:20 am

Hi, I would like to go on an AFS experience next year. However, I don't know how significantly disadvantaged aspies would be in the selection process.

Any aspies gone on / tried out for / want to go on an overseas exchange?

Thanks

MoralAnimal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2010, 7:28 pm

I went on an oversee's exchange with the Rotary Club. At the time I wasn't diagnosed. With Rotary, I had no problem with the selection process.

Once I was oversea however, it became a whole different problem. I would say looking back that being in an environment where I couldn't communicate really forced me to learn how to read body language better (whereas I didn't really know how at all before). Having Aspergers made overcoming the language barrier even harder than it already is and I had a hard time the whole year making friends and getting along with my host family. On the flip side, I focused my energy instead on mastering the language and learning about the culture via art, music, history, archeology, travel, etc. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world.

good luck!

Claire_Louise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2010, 4:29 pm

Thanks.
I have tried out for AFS once, and hashed up the inteview, plus a bad reference from the school.
I am self-diagnosed, but I am positive that I have aspergers