Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jul 2004, 11:51 am

Hello. What skills do you have?

I have NO skills, but these are skills I have just begun to learn. I hope I can develop these well, in about a year.

Programing.
Reading.
Music>Guitar.
Art>oils>pencil drawing.
Ancient History.
[I have not included school skills]

So, what are or will be your skills?

<edit>

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2004, 6:48 pm

One skill, or talent I have, or at least I have sub-conciously, is the ability to compose music. Quite often when I dream I'll have music playing in the backround. Not music that I've heard on the radio, or music that I have on my computer, but music that I'll compose all by myself, in my dreams, beautiful music, fantastic music, composed all on the fly, all in my dreams. The most frustrating thing about it, is when I wake up, I can't remember enough of the music, or lyrics to write anything down on paper.

Other than that, I took a job a our local cable company and have become quite good at running camera.

I've done some programming in QuickBASIC for DOS, but nothing ever really major.

Wolfy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2004, 9:12 am

Greetings,

I have EXACTLY the same experience with music.
I have been able to get some of it written down once or twice but only the really simple stuff that isnt really worth bothering ab out.

I asked some of my fellow Druids how to better tap into this (since this type of creativity referred to as Awen (flowing spirit) is one of the fundamental principles of Druidry). The best advice they coudl give was to train the mind by keeping a dream journal and recording absolutely everything. After a while it apparently becomes second nature. I havent got round to trying that yet myself due to lack of motivation :P

P.S. Another thing that kind of works for me is sleep deprivation. If you get yourself tired enough and lie down, you can sometimes access a semi-waking state where you can hear the music.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2004, 9:26 am

I have the music talent you talk about. I easily associate music with events, so when I have no known music to associate with a specific event, I often create it. But most of the time, I can not write it down because I am not good enough at music writing. But sometimes I can find them by looking for the right notes on my synthetizer. Most of the time, the music are with a piano, or a harp ; sometimes with a guitar or violin, and more rarely other instruments.

I also learned QuickBASIC when I was about ten or eleven years old, but I have not worked on it since then. But I decided to work on it again, because I need to know how to program.

I think my skills are just my area of interest, which means that I have a good knowledge in astronomy/astrophysics.

Loy

magic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2004, 6:03 pm

My skills:

Programming (my profession)
Writing (mostly technical documentation)
Talking, talking, talking (usually until the interlocutor drops bored to death)

And two "savant" skills: :D

Calculator in my head - not even close in speed or accuracy to Rain Man's :( , but good enough to make people comment.
Compass in my head - sense telling me where North, South, East and West are. I didn't meet anyone yet who would understand what I am talking about. It seems that the rest of homo sapiens species is compass-blind!

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2004, 8:06 pm

I've been lucky to have pursued a variety of interests in my less than twenty years on this wrong planet! I have several talents that I could nurture into a career:

Writing I'm a fairly good writer. I mostly write humorous satire, short stories, and introspective essays.

Drawing If I have a photograph or the object I'm drawing in front of me, I can draw fairly close to photorealistic. I can do creative, more abstract drawing, too.

French I can read French okay for an American; I can even write elementary French. My speaking and aural comprehension skills are not quite as good, though.

Persuasion I am okay at doing persuasive writing and even, to a small extent, speaking and arguing.

Computer Skills I'm most fluent with Windows, but I can do a couple of things with Linux. I've learned a bit of programming in C++ and Java, and I maintain my own website where I showcase some of my writings and other creative works.

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2004, 3:36 pm

• Music: Wow, I compose music too! I've been lately working in the ABC+ music language, with my own little extra parser on top of it. A few of my songs come from dreams, though I always have something playing in my head while awake.
  • Writing: I love to write stories, though rarely do so due to my peculiar mental block on life. I consider myself a competent writer, and love language and composition.
  • Biology: I love learning, science in general, and the natural world, especially animals. Can't get enough of those motile lil' organisms. Most of my education has been in Biology and
  • Chemistry, and aside from my difficulty memorizing names of things, a problem following recipes, and an unsteady hand in lab, I think I was pretty good at it.
  • Reading: 100 pages an hour baby! :mrgreen: Seriously though, I love reading fantasy, some sci fi, nonpretentious philosophy (a VERY rare thing), and textbooks.
  • Programming: I know every algorithm I can get my greedy little paws on, except maybe the Fourier transform, which I once understood but have hence forgotten what eigenvalues are. My current obsession is anonymous distributed data stores
  • Drawing: Some skill at drawing; I do so love comics as defined by Scott McCloud.
  • Cooking: I have been told that my ability to describe the recipes my mom is teaching me in exquisite detail has caused Pavlovian responses in some of my friends. 8) Recipes still a problem here though. :oops:

Last edited by synx13 on 07 Jul 2004, 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TyroneShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2004, 3:42 pm

So you've conditioned your friends to dribble at the sound of a bell have you? - well done! :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2004, 3:49 pm

Singing (currently undiscovered)
Dancing (currently undiscovered)
Acting (my only gig: Mary Lou Williams in my school's production of We Haz Jazz)
Trombone playing (discovered, but I want to quit)
Speed-reading
Reading upside-down, backwards, and sideways (and also the normal way)
Imitating voices

:!: Mich :?:

Dizzy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2004, 9:18 pm

I am good at art (sculpture, wire, and drawing in particular), great with animals (horseback riding, dog training), computer programming, and writing.

travelplus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2004, 6:38 pm

Yes I totally agree with you about music. I can usually tell a song by it's first few notes and give you the name and artists of the song. Although I am NT,I am musically oriented and pay attention to the melody.

NooneInParticular
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2004, 9:56 am

Why do you want to stop playing the trombone? I played for 10 years and quit when I got to college. I quit because the other trombonists were taking it WAY too seriously.

Mich wrote:
Acting (my only gig: Mary Lou Williams in my school's production of We Haz Jazz)
Speed-reading
Imitating voices

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2004, 1:22 am

Skills
-Writing
-Drawing
-Painting
-Long-term memory
-Logic/Abstract systems/Arguing :D (But the "arguing" part usually only comes in handy A. for a class assignment or B. when I'm angry with someone).
-Sensing negative emotions/physical pain/potential for criticism of myself or others (selective empathy)

Non-Skills
-technology (I have an unusual *lack* of ability)
-music
-common sense
-sports/competition
-forgetting things I *should* forget and remembering things I *should* remember
-social contact
-Most things dealing with physical reality (such as physical systems)

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2004, 3:42 pm

NooneInParticular wrote:
Why do you want to stop playing the trombone? I played for 10 years and quit when I got to college. I quit because the other trombonists were taking it WAY too seriously.

Mich wrote:
Speed-reading
Imitating voices

Because it was too much pressure. It started out fun, until the concerts came up. We were pressured to practice more. We had to have good posture, something that I hate. I needed a break. I needed to STOP DEALING WITH THE MADNESS!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! Er, excuse me.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 4:40 am

Unico wrote:
Skills
-Writing
-Drawing
-Painting
-Long-term memory
-Logic/Abstract systems/Arguing :D (But the "arguing" part usually only comes in handy A. for a class assignment or B. when I'm angry with someone).
-Sensing negative emotions/physical pain/potential for criticism of myself or others (selective empathy)

Non-Skills
-technology (I have an unusual *lack* of ability)
-music
-common sense
-sports/competition
-forgetting things I *should* forget and remembering things I *should* remember
-social contact
-Most things dealing with physical reality (such as physical systems)

Skills:

Speed reading
Perfect musical pitch
Arts and Crafts
Writing
Spelling
Seeing through lies
Large vocabulary
Patience with tasks others would find tedious and repetitive
Usually responsible and able to work with little or no supervision

Non Skills:

Poor emotional control
Can be impulsive
Lacking confidence.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Iamscientist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2007, 8:21 am

Let's see Nunchuck skills, dancing skills, chatting with hot babes on the internet skills, the list could go on...

Truth is, I'm not a scientist. I'm an analytic philosopher, but we like to think we're scientists.