Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2019, 9:51 pm

Note: you may or may not relate to these if you don't drive in the US:

- High speed tailgating caravans: when you're on the highway and a long line of cars are moving very fast (near or above the speed limit) and have very little space in between their bumpers. Not only is this very dangerous but it is a pain in the ass for other cars to enter that lane, not to mention if a car in front brakes , it'll send ripple effects to the cars in behind. Even worse is when you're moving at the speed of traffic but the car in behind is mad at you for keeping a distance to the car ahead and honks or flashes their lights.

- Turning left onto a busy multilane road without a traffic light: I always go out of my way to avoid having to make a left at a stop sign onto a busy road with many lanes. I know where most of these are in my local area but when I'm in an unfamiliar place, these are extremely annoying. I've had to make a uturn to avoid these many times in rush our traffic. Using Waze and selecting the option to avoid difficult turns helps.

- Extreme gridlock: when traffic is so backed up and the cars can't move for many minutes and end up blocking key intersections, driveways, turning lanes, ramps, etc.

KestrylR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2019, 2:41 pm

Lifted trucks that do not have the headlights adjusted to compensate, therefore putting them at the exact level of my rear view mirror and stabbing me in the eyes!

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
Very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 3:46 pm

Tailgaters, especially when the lanes on either side are clear of traffic and the tailgater flashes his/her headlights to tell me I'm going too slow and to get out of their way … and I'm already exceeding the speed limit.

Tailgaters, especially when I'm exceeding the speed limit in the HOV or 'Diamond' lane, and the tailgater flashes his/her headlights to tell me I'm going too slow and to get out of their way.

Slow-moving vehicles in the HOV lane, especially those going considerably less than the posted speed limit.

Drivers who leave their turn signals on for miles. Sometimes I secretly wish that those signaling for a right turn would turn right … off a very tall bridge.

Drivers who fail to fully secure the loads in their truckbeds or trailers; although I did pick up a nice quadie drone with a live-action Bluetooth video camera … too bad I couldn't catch up to the driver and return it to him/her.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 5:59 pm

Deer. The last one came out of the sunset, out of a ditch straight into my fender. If I'd had time to react, it would have messed up a fender not previously savaged by a deer. I'm also not keen on the 30 wheelers on the back roads who take their half out of the middle, but they do risk not getting back if they move over well.
I don't like driving when I can't see the road, as when facing a low sunset or oncoming traffic.
BTW, I have to drive an hour or so to find a traffic light or parking meter.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:17 am

Drivers who don't know how to indicate on roundabouts.

A friend and I were in her car behind someone who indicated left and then turned right on a roundabout. WTF! We were almost tempted to follow them and shout at them wherever they stopped. Because not only that, they drove about 10kms under the speed limit!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 5:28 am

people who go psycho when you pass them.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:07 am

People who have no business driving due to advanced age (I actually call one of our nearby streets Geriatric Boulevard due to all the seniors homes) and are extremely dangerous due to their total obliviousness. One guy in particular cut me off, I kept my hand on the horn until he looked up or acknowledged me and after 5 seconds I just gave up. He looked at least 95 and had no business driving. Did I mention he was moving at the speed of a go-kart?

People tailgating, especially on the highway (literally everyone behind me was doing that this weekend and I was going at the speed limit). WHY??

People who go 60-70 on the highway but suddenly 110+ when the passing lane comes up. Rinse and repeat.

People who think that the passing lane belongs solely to those who are going the fastest and will tailgate anyone who dares to not go a dangerous speed while passing. Bonus points to those who weave in and out of the stretch of highway that is 6 lanes each direction.

Drivers who turn left well after the arrow has disappeared and the other direction has a green. One such idiot gunned the engine in a busy retail area and narrowly missed a pedestrian and three cars while going about 100 to jump that light. Not one person even blew their horn either.

There has also been an epidemic of people who never signal and will just stop while trying to turn left or right without warning. Drivers in the USA in my experience might be aggressive but it is so much easier to drive there because they are predictable. On a side note, one driver with Massachusetts plates was so bad I actually called 911! I had to call off the "chase" when he decided to turn left from the far right lane without warning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:18 am

Nobody goes the speed limit on the Queen Elizabeth.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:23 am

there are a lot of sticks in the mud here who drive 35 in a 50 zone, these are the psychos who go ape if you pass them, they flash their lights and lean on their horns and stick their heads out the window like dogs and cuss you, and swerve to try to keep you suffering their fumes behind them [often they are coal rollers to boot]. some wave firearms.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:30 am

Yep....the people who don’t look before they change lanes.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 8:42 am

blackomen wrote:
- Extreme gridlock: when traffic is so backed up and the cars can't move for many minutes and end up blocking key intersections, driveways, turning lanes, ramps, etc.

My city in a nutshell. Even though I can drive (and enjoy it), I take the subway to work because of this.

Also, f*** tailgaters!

#palestinianlivesmatter

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 8:44 am

I wish I could drive to work-----if there was parking, I would do that!

The subways have their own sort of "gridlock" sometimes.....

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 8:47 am

The day the 1st Gulf war broke, I switched from sporty driving up to 10% over the speed limit to super-economy driving at 10% under. It is actually more fun. I once drove a mile with the engine off, staying no more than a car length from where I'd have been under power. Now, I only drive the limit if I am blocking commercial traffic, and then I make the pass easy.
So, I'm reminded of my real pet peeve, wasteful driving that kills the climate. There is no good excuse for a land vehicle to weigh more than it's payload, or to be unstreamlined. There's no excuse for trailer ramps to be set to catch wind. There is no excuse for SUVs that seldom leave the city, or seats that are not used frequently. There's no excuse for keeping several vehicles instead of renting the oddballs occasionally. There's no need for cars that can accelerate faster than 5-ton trucks, or for anyone to accelerate toward a red light.

Almost everything I see on the road is a big slap in the face from the fat cats, proving that people can be made to work very hard just to obey advertising and tinker with their image. Even the roads, parking lots and expressways themselves have been imposed on us by sabotage to public transit and economical zoning. It costs me less than $200 PA in parts and depreciation for reliable, economical, unfashionable cars. Even Uber has become another source of extra miles as a cheap taxi service, instead of actually sharing rides like electronic hitchiking.

There is also a lot of unnecessary gridlock. I once worked on the ceiling of a building downtown, and had to rest my neck frequently. This had me looking down at a normal city intersection, and maybe half the time it was blocked by people who could have gotten out of the way. Expressways are notorious for stop and go traffic even from high speed, and it has been shown that just a small percentage of drivers consciously smoothing out those ripples can prevent them.

Last edited by Dear_one on 27 Aug 2019, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 8:50 am

People who live in the city sometimes need space in their SUV's in order to bring home something like wood and other things from Home Depot or some place like that.

Or they might have a big family, and have to pack their suitcases in the SUV should they come visit.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 8:54 am

Tailgaters

People who make weird lane changes

Bicyclists who don't seem to understand or care that the rules of the road apply to them, too

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 8:57 am

I know that sometimes people have to travel to places on bicycles.....but I'm still scared of hitting them, anyway.