Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jun 2013, 2:34 pm

Is it bad that I enjoy having some interest to obsess over, as it wards of boredom? (As long as you have the opportunity to indulge in it, anyway.) I mean, if I'm not currently interested in anything, I just get bored and then I don't know what to do with myself.

How well does people with asperger typically deal with boredom anyway, if there are any trends? I know I get bored easily and I hate it. I can be pretty terrible when I'm bored. :?

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

Lurv, have you ever considered doing something productive?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 3:51 pm

I have interests, but for some reason I tend to avoid my interests sometimes and get bored. Sounds crazy, but that's what happens sometimes. I also should be doing chores such as vacuuming etc, but I neglect them, let the place get filthy and get bored.

I have little social life and have a lot of time by myself. By now I'm used to feeling bored and manage boredom ok. Also, I made some effort to occupy myself with something such as reading, eating etc. So I haven't recently had any moments when I felt overwhelmed by boredom.

I think if you can have obsessive interests in some useful/fun things, that's great.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

Is it bad?
Is it better to be bored than obsesive? I can't see that it would be.

I have several projects happening at any given time, and twice as many on backlog waiting for me to make time for them.

Dispite that, I get sick of doing the same thing, same routine day in day out. So I don't do my projects for a couple days to a week. I get bored, very moody.

Once I'm over that, I get back into one or more of my projects and hit the road running, so to speek.

I've always done this, and I don't see anything unusual about it.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 4:44 pm

PS: come to think of it. Depending on where you are, may I suggest any of the following.
wood carving, clay or porcilin work, jewerly making, cabinet making, computer programming, oil painting, pencil sketching, learn a musical instrument, song writting.

(I do, or have attempted all of these).

Others at random; theatre, costume making (many medieval societies around), blog writting, animated movie making (home versions), gardening, any of the crafts that you see at a sunday market (or that you don't see).

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 5:35 pm

Lurv wrote:
Is it bad that I enjoy having some interest to obsess over, as it wards of boredom? (As long as you have the opportunity to indulge in it, anyway.) I mean, if I'm not currently interested in anything, I just get bored and then I don't know what to do with myself.

How well does people with asperger typically deal with boredom anyway, if there are any trends? I know I get bored easily and I hate it. I can be pretty terrible when I'm bored. :?

    Pretty horrifically- I feel like my brain is melting and that I'm going insane without something to do/work on.