Page 7 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2010, 8:19 am

I don't get invited to any parties, but if I was invited say I would probably sit in the corner. Whats the point in going somewhere just to feel awkward.

Epiphany28
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2010, 4:52 pm

If I'm sober I stand WAY behind the group with my arms folded and fidget. When I'm buzzed I laugh like crazy and can be the life of the party (mostly in front of strangers who don't know me at all).

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 5:11 pm

Often when I went to parties all the attention would freak me out and I would go home early with painful gut ache. In the past few years not been to any parties.

Epiphany28
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2010, 5:27 pm

I find it REALLY exhausting. I have a lot of anxiety the next day and I always feel like I got hit by a train... both mentally and physically painful.

Robdemanc wrote:
Often when I went to parties all the attention would freak me out and I would go home early with painful gut ache. In the past few years not been to any parties.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 10:11 am

Depends on the size of the party. The more people present per square foot, the more uncomfortable I get. Not to mention conversations . . . if i can hear 2+ conversations at the same time, I get sick. I'll usually migrate to the least crowded/noisy areas, if any can be found.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 12:34 pm

E3! (Hahaha, I wish.)

Mooiki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Oct 2010, 12:41 pm

Depends on the party, I usually just stand or sit in a corner or near the food table, or sometimes both. :P

If it is a party that has any sort of video games, then I will be playing those for most of my time there.

other_guy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Oct 2010, 5:00 pm

i usually am the one at the beer pong table or playin poker etc, i tend to be way more social when i'm drunk but sometimes i end being the guy who makes sure the drunks don't do anything stupid. would party more often but i just don't have a car

Brown06
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2010, 1:12 am

Whenever I do agree to go to parties, it is usually ones with good friends, even then I will often have a meltdown prior---or try to at least. About 50% of the time I show and I put on that happy go lucky facade and go right to get a stiff drink. After a couple drinks I can talk more and joke and definitely I seem like a really happy outgoing person.

I agree though, the next day I get a sick feeling in my gut and feel used. Feel estranged from myself. I need lots of time to recover emotionally and physically.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 6:08 pm

At parties Im very mellow mostly in the background, very chill. I usually drink a bit, I get rather sleepy and very chill. If theres dancing, i'll dance but if theres not I'll mostly sit on the side and watch people.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

31 Oct 2010, 6:18 pm

its probably been over 10 years since i've been to a party. the last one i was at, that i remember had lots of drugs and alcohol.

my real dad gave me some cocaine to trade for "sex" there. naturally i didnt, i just stuck it up my nose and told him i had the best sex of my life and thanks for that.

he was proud, i think he knows what i did with it though or felt sorry for me and thats why he gave me the drugs. :pig:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 6:25 pm

One time I went someone's house with my friend and did nothing but sit alone on a couch in the living room in the dark, staring blankly at the walls while the friend went into another room and shut the door. I thought that was incredibly rude. Every once in a while she would appear and say "You look bored" and I wondered why she didn't say "maybe we should go now." I guess she didn't want to leave. One of the people who lived in the house would dart nervously through the living room, glaring from time to time. I thought it obtuse. I just wanted to leave more than anything in the world. I think at one point I tried to take a walk but my friend left before I could (she was the one driving). Parties can be boring. That's my number one complaint. And cliquey. There's nothing that intimidates me more that a cliquey party where the guests all look at you like you are the ultimate outsider. That's happened to me lots of times which is why I prefer clubs to private parties. There was a time I longed to go to the "right" party for me but never got as much out of it as I craved.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 8:47 pm

It's not easy but still do-able as long as I don't have to do it very often.
It's taken a while but I've learned these things, not necessarily in this order or is this a complete list:
1. Mingle with others, either individuals or knots of people.
2. Smile a lot but not too excessively and laugh as appropriate (Appropriate: When everyone else does).
3. Let others do most but not all of the talking and show an interest in what they are talking about.
4. Forget your special interest/obsession unless someone wants to talk about it then let it die of natural causes when it gets old. NEVER dwell on it!
5. Talk with people, not at them.
6. Don't drink or eat more than anyone else. Keep it about medium in relation to the rest of the herd. No point adding the image of a drunkard or a hog to oneself.
7. Thank the host, if there is one, for inviting you. (This is something I tend to forget a lot :( )
8. Do the small talk thing whether you like it or not. It's just the way it is.
9. If someone shows up that you haven't seen in a long time be (or do a decent job of pretending to be) happy to see them.
10. Stay away from politics unless everyone you are talking with is of the same stripe.

How to deal with things that might happen at a party, and the sky is the limit, is a judgement call.

Personally I much prefer smaller get-togethers of a handful of people as opposed to bigger parties.
The ones i go to are almost always with people from work and usually right after work.
I pretty much won't go to a party at someones house any more. Too many unwritten protocol things I'm likely not not pick up on, try as i might.

AW
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2010, 10:50 pm

If people are drinking, I sit back and laugh at everyone until someone comes and speaks to me.

Quote:
2. Smile a lot but not too excessively and laugh as appropriate (Appropriate: When everyone else does)

but if they drunk, this doesn't matter, otherwise, yes, agreed.
And then they are drunk, so I can say anything to them and they won't care. Parties with close family are otherwise much better, for one, generally no over consumption of alcohol, and you can talk without feeling awkward.

Maolcolm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm

I don't. In the distant past - at least 10 years - I attended one or two very small gatherings that could not really be called "parties" but had to get pretty drunk to bear them.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 12:30 am

Chronos wrote:
Corp900 wrote:
I just got back from a party, well i did nothing there, just sip, little by little, alone, while everyone else chatted away like it was the same as breathing.

I generally hover around the refreshment table and try not to bump into people.

You are perceived as less inferior if you let yourself bump into people as normal. Even though I've already learned this I've still not gotten the hang of it, so no worries.

What it does is show a very low self-esteem and it looks like your self-esteem is causing you to take up as less space as possible. You will look more appealing as a person in the social area when you don't care and you're relaxed enough to take up space. But you have to truly be relaxed to appear as you are relaxed.