Is it possible that I may be ADHD? Something else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

CaptainShenaniganz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2010, 4:15 pm

As to give a legitimate introduction to this topic - I am 16 years old. And shall be turning 17, as of October 15th. Anyhow, to get onto the subject, I have been experiencing this most of my life. However in my pubescent years I was given the intention that this was prevalent for my age back then. Alas, this situation persists. Now for a couple examples.

I find myself forgetting things end upon end. I shall commemorate very breif moments as to where I had put something, then my mind would go hazy, and I would then have difficulty in searching for that object. Even if it was in an expected location.

Sitting down. I experience nill problems with sitting down in itself. But when I am in the situation to be forced to sit down, and remain quiet for prolonged periods of time, I shall experience an ''energy-buildup'' which locates from my lower back and then up to my head. I'd describe it as a really bizzare feeling, but it's as if someone was going to sneeze. You have little, or no control over it.

I always have to be moving as to temporarily supress this energy feeling. Or high-stimulating activities, such as running, excersising, etc. Caffinated beverages tend to calm me down, help me focus more efficiently, and slow me down temporarily. But it doesn't last long. Usually around 3 hours after consuming I return back to normal and since I am trying to stick to a healthy regime I am trying to cut my caffeine and sugar levels. Occasionally, because of this 'energy' buildup, which I had informed about earlier in my context, I shall have to pace around, as to get rid of it. This is the same for sleep. I shall experience racing thoughts, jumbled together, and I find myself fidgeting in bed and unable to get to sleep. Though racing thoughts often happen in the daytime, too. This isn't exclusively to night time.

I can concentrate for the most part, albeit sometimes I do have great difficulty and have problems with getting around to do homework, but I receive adequate grades at school. And I do not disrupt classes during school hours. However, during conversations with those I associate with (usually offline, since when it is online, I can think through what I am about to post, whilst offline, I can not do this.) And occasionally, I say stupid or silly things and only notice shortly after I had said it. I have been told to slow down my speech. Be it by adults, or other kids in classes. When someone tells me to slow down, I find myself slowing down. But then I shall be commanded to slow down again, as my speech had returned to it's usual (faster) pace, me, being completely oblivious to this. Occasionally, but not too frequent, my mind shall wonder off when people are speaking directly to me. Their voices shall fade as if I was dreaming, then when that person asks me a specific question I shall inform them I didn't awkknowledge their statement and tell them to repeat what they had stated.

Since I have experienced this matter for pretty much my whole life, it may be normal. (I also have mild Asperger Syndrome, which I thought may be worth mentioning in this context, however I doubt this and my symptoms are related.) As I know every individual isn't exactly the same. But I wish to be on the safe side and I would undoubtedly appreciate anyone who can share their opinions or experiences with this. Thanks.

rowingineden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2010, 4:35 pm

1. Not ADHD - writing a near full page on an internet forum about your symptoms.
2. ADHD - caffeine calms you down.
3. ADHD/puberty- excess arousal level (stuff like an inability to sleep due to over-activity in thoughts)
4. Classwork/homework - Do you find yourself needing to take breaks/switch activities (or subjects) regularly while doing work? You said you get good grades; do you ever find your attention wandering in class simple due to a lack of challenge or interest in the subject? Do you ever work ahead in the book (or letting yourself fall behind) simply so you can work at your own pace instead of everyone else's, to avoid boredom?
5. Do you have any hypersensitivity or lack of sensation issues? (Examples of my hypersensitivity: I hate excess light or noise, and hate to be touched. Examples of lack of sensation: sometimes I don't notice being bitten by an insect or something like that. I can have trouble noticing when I have my watch on too tight unless I take my meds.)
6. Do you have any regular memory issues?

CaptainShenaniganz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2010, 4:45 pm

rowingineden wrote:
1. Not ADHD - writing a near full page on an internet forum about your symptoms.
3. ADHD/puberty- excess arousal level (stuff like an inability to sleep due to over-activity in thoughts)
4. Classwork/homework - Do you find yourself needing to take breaks/switch activities (or subjects) regularly while doing work? You said you get good grades; do you ever find your attention wandering in class simple due to a lack of challenge or interest in the subject? Do you ever work ahead in the book (or letting yourself fall behind) simply so you can work at your own pace instead of everyone else's, to avoid boredom?
5. Do you have any hypersensitivity or lack of sensation issues? (Examples of my hypersensitivity: I hate excess light or noise, and hate to be touched. Examples of lack of sensation: sometimes I don't notice being bitten by an insect or something like that. I can have trouble noticing when I have my watch on too tight unless I take my meds.)

#4 - If the subject is uninteresting to me, I find myself falling into these daydreams and having the need to switch the task more frequent, such as doodling on my paper, or communicatng to others and starting up a conversation. Even if I find myself interested in that particular subject, my mind shall continue in its habitual wandering. To the point a teacher's assistant will ask me if anything's wrong or if I'm confused. Which I am usually not, as I'm not specifically the type of person to find myself under perplexion easily.

#5 - Both. However when my mind 'wanders', like I had mentioned before, hypersensitivity becomes the latter. Noises appear to be quieter, such as voices. When I am daydreaming, sometimes I will, or will not be oblivious to it. And they can range anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

I do not possess any clinical memory issues that I know of.

rowingineden

15 Sep 2010, 4:57 pm

CaptainShenaniganz wrote:
rowingineden wrote:

#4 - If the subject is uninteresting to me, I find myself falling into these daydreams and having the need to switch the task more frequent, such as doodling on my paper, or communicatng to others and starting up a conversation. Even if I find myself interested in that particular subject, my mind shall continue in its habitual wandering. To the point a teacher's assistant will ask me if anything's wrong or if I'm confused. Which I am usually not, as I'm not specifically the type of person to find myself under perplexion easily.

#5 - Both. However when my mind 'wanders', like I had mentioned before, hypersensitivity becomes the latter. Noises appear to be quieter, such as voices. When I am daydreaming, sometimes I will, or will not be oblivious to it. And they can range anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

I do not possess any clinical memory issues that I know of.

In that case, you have enough symptoms that you should probably go to someone like a school counselor about the issue and have someone formally diagnose you so you can start getting some attention/assistance on these matters - if you work it, you may get some leeway on the homework you've been having trouble with and things like that. You sound a lot like me, and I've been called a completely textbook case.