Trying to relax after busy supermarket

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2011, 2:28 pm

Just got back from supermarket trying to relax supermarkets are very overstimulating for me. i feel like i have to look at everything in ASDA since that supermarket is over 2 floors of items

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

I like to make a precise list before I go, that way I can sort of speed through the aisles without getting distracted by all the other items that I don't need. Too bright, too loud, too peopley there! Hope you feel better after having to go to the store. Do you wear your headphones in the store?

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2011, 8:04 pm

glasstoria wrote:
I like to make a precise list before I go, that way I can sort of speed through the aisles without getting distracted by all the other items that I don't need. Too bright, too loud, too peopley there! Hope you feel better after having to go to the store. Do you wear your headphones in the store?
I have sony cowftable on ears headphones but i have nothing to plug them into

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 8:05 pm

Is there any way you can go to the supermarket when they aren't so busy? We go in the early evening, rather than the daytime, when things are less crowded. When I was single I'd usually buy a few items at a time between 8PM and 10PM--I'd have the whole aisle to myself most of the time!

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2011, 9:46 pm

BTDT wrote:
Is there any way you can go to the supermarket when they aren't so busy? We go in the early evening, rather than the daytime, when things are less crowded. When I was single I'd usually buy a few items at a time between 8PM and 10PM--I'd have the whole aisle to myself most of the time!
I cant go to supermarket late cos staff are stocking on the shelves taking up nearly all the shop floor making lots of nosise like loud stacking and dropping shelf items

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm

Well I work at a supermarket and the worst times to come are typically during lunch 11am-1pm and late afternoon/early evening 3pm-7:30pm. Otherwise weekends, especially Sundays are pretty bad. Otherwise, early mornings before 9am or late nights after 9pm. I dont know about other places, the stocking at where I work at happens during the early mornings. If the lights bother you, sunglasses? If the noises bother you, earplugs? The only downside to coming at nights is that sometimes supplies run out.

Try to find a time when its pretty dead. Otherwise, find a small market to shop at, it might be a bit easier to tolerate however if your own a budget, it might be more expensive. Farmers markets are sometimes a bit calmer (as long as its not crowded), there typically pretty cheap.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 11:06 pm

Typically the better the prices, the worse the crowds.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:33 am

When I leave the store I have a 30 minute walk so I have plenty of to decompress before getting home. 8)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 8:08 am

How about putting together a visual list of what you need--a map that has pictures or drawings about what you are going to buy and where it is located?

Cross them out as you go along.

Some of us are visual thinkers and having to deal with word descriptions only adds to the stress.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

BTDT wrote:
How about putting together a visual list of what you need--a map that has pictures or drawings about what you are going to buy and where it is located?

I love this idea. Thanks for posting it! I'm going to use it next time I have to go shopping.

Love transcends all.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2012, 1:17 am

I don't know how practice it is but my supermarket used to be close to where I walked.
I often picked up a few items each time instead of doing a lot of shopping once a week.

169Kitty
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2012, 1:30 am

I like to go in the early morning hours like around 7 or 8 am. The stocking is usually all done but very few shoppers are in the store. If I am just getting groceries I like to go to Aldi because everything is simple. no fancy displays, things stay in the same place and with things like peanut butter the only choice you have is smooth or chunky and there is only one size. The checkout is super fast so even if it seems like there is a long line it goes pretty fast. I just have to remember to bring a quarter for the cart. I love their cart system, so efficient for them which keeps their costs down.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 7:17 pm

We live close enough to several stores that we can usually get by if I buy "most" of what we need. If I start to get overly stressed, I won't worry about getting everything on my list--I'll just get it somewhere else or at another time.