Are you happy that you have autism? Be Honest

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:08 am

Can you please stop making all of these self-pitying posts? You were diagnosed with ASD, not Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. And you're obviously high-functioning enough to be able to post on message boards to complain about having it, so it's not like you're the type of person who can't even communicate at all.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:11 am

Delirium wrote:
Can you please stop making all of these self-pitying posts? You were diagnosed with ASD, not Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. And you're obviously high-functioning enough to be able to post on message boards to complain about having it, so it's not like you're the type of person who can't even communicate at all.

Exactly what I've been thinking

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:07 am

I like who I am. Even when I hate myself I don't want to be anyone else. I think it is unnatural to want to be someone else. I can't but think it is an effect of mistreating.

Of course we can always dream and want to be perfect in every sense, but no one is perfect. Find your total idol and they are not perfect.

It would be cool to have a longer attention span than I do, but I think my short attention span makes me more creative because I can connect ideas in another way. Some things are just not compatible. Sometimes you have to "choose" one trait because the other needs the opposite neurological setup.

The thing I dislike most about myself is my age. I wish I was still young. And that doesn't have much to do with Asperger's, everyone has to get old or die.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:30 am

Corp900 wrote:
Be honest......

---

Are you happy that you have autism? Be Honest

There are different ways of looking at the question:

Autism = Happy.
Autism = Neutral - Abstain from voting.
Autism = Unhappy.

---

Since Autism is a card dealt to a person in life, my attitude toward the question is:

Autism = Neutral - Abstain from voting

---

By the way, there are people who are autism-free who are not happy.

There also are people who are autism-free who are happy.

. . .

There are people with autism who are happy.

There also are people with autism who are not happy.

----

Logic systems.
Categories.
Cause and effect.

and so on.

---

Pictures

A person with autism holding a warm puppy and a vanilla ice cream cone.

A person who is autism-free but is not holding a warm puppy and is not holding a vanlla, strawberry, or chocolate ice cream cone.

---

Stories

Turning lemons into lemonade.
Turning a grain of sand into a pearl.

Did Shrek and Fiona like being green orges? Be honest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrek

---

Some roads are straight and smooth.

Many roads have bumps here and there in them.

Roller coasters take people to heights and depths on the road of life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness

---

Happy

Neutral

Sad

---

Happy and Sad Theatre Masks

Comedy - Tragedy Masks

http://www.angelfire.com/art/masks/maskhistory.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre

Other

b9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:45 am

i could not care less whether i have AS or not.
i am cursed with the inability to blend with the masses...
and i am blessed with the inability to care about it.

i am content anyway.
and that is partly because i do not care if other people are happy or not with what i say to them.

i am isolated from all the anguish and stress that happens to normal people and i feel quite lucky to feel very happy about simple things that most people would not even consider.

my world is what i alone see, and it is good. i would not like to be stricken with the expectations and hopes that are derived from the attitudes that i see other people struck asunder by.

sometimes i even wonder why i bother to say to people what i think.
there is no real chance that anyone will identify.

but i was born a human, and i guess i will try to say stuff to humans for as long as i live, but the stuff that i say will become more and more abbreviated due to my resignation that advances with time.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

I am proud to be a High-Functioning Autistic! I wouldn't trade it for anything!

t0
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:56 am

Callista wrote:
Why the paradox? Well... I don't think unhappy autistic people are unhappy because they're autistic. I think they're unhappy for any of the many reasons that people in general can be unhappy. And I think that everyone has problems in life--just because my problems can sometimes be traced back to autism doesn't mean that I must necessarily be less happy than someone whose problems can sometimes be traced back to being NT.

Awesome - QFT. It's unfortunate that many people can't see this. OP - are you listening?

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 11:22 am

As I see it, the question is too vague. What is autism? Autism is a label for a set of traits, not a thing. For me, the better question is, am I happy to have the autistic traits I do, or in have had the ones I've had.

The inability to connect with others... heck no. That's an awful thing, and I'm glad to have more or less overcome it.

But being different, having my own way of thinking... to the extent that that's an autistic / aspie thing... I'd answer yes. (I'm happy about those traits whether or not they relate to autism, it doesn't relate to the question if they don't.)

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 11:32 am

Delirium wrote:

Yes, well, and we're all better off than all those starving children in Africa who can't even afford to eat, much less be on the internet every day. Doesn't mean our problems are less valid than their problems. More self-inflicted maybe, and harder to empathize with for some people.

Anyway, although I only skimmed through this thread, I didn't really see any self-pitying comments that are particularly annoying or depressing. Unless they're in one of those block paragraphs that I just stared at rather than skimmed through.

Oh, and unless you're referring to OP, in which case I'd have to give you a thumbs-up. I could be wrong, but I just smell a troll, is all.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 12:25 pm

I'm happy to have AS because I'm content with myself (whatever that is). What's the point in hating yourself or feeling sorry for yourself? Self-love is probably equally dangerous although it's considered a normal trait to some degree.

I feel neutral about self: it is largely irrelevant to my existence.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 12:26 pm

These problems are real, and to be respected; but it's not productive to constantly make inflammatory posts about them.

In other words--We get that you're unhappy. We just know that trying to make other people unhappy, or trying to annoy people, or whatever these posts are supposed to do, won't help.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2010, 1:30 pm

Autism is an arbitrary descriptor of certain observable characteristics of the causal locality in which I occur. There is no reality for me outside of it. There is no ‘I’ without it. I do not 'have' it, I happen of and about it. I don’t look at the world and think, “it’s not supposed to be this way,” that’s absurd. This is just what’s happening. The question, I think, is meaningless. If the conventions of normality cause you to suffer because you cannot conform yourself to them, then throw them away; they are worthless. Do not assume there’s value in something just because it has been agreed upon by a large number of people. My dog can never hold a job, can’t get a girlfriend he’s neuter FFS and I don’t hear him whinging about it. I take his example and I'm happy with my life as a dog. :elephant:

Last edited by wornlight on 18 Sep 2010, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leftyswin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2010, 1:50 pm

yes

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 2:08 pm

menintights wrote:
Delirium wrote:

Yes, well, and we're all better off than all those starving children in Africa who can't even afford to eat, much less be on the internet every day. Doesn't mean our problems are less valid than their problems. More self-inflicted maybe, and harder to empathize with for some people.

Anyway, although I only skimmed through this thread, I didn't really see any self-pitying comments that are particularly annoying or depressing. Unless they're in one of those block paragraphs that I just stared at rather than skimmed through.

Oh, and unless you're referring to OP, in which case I'd have to give you a thumbs-up. I could be wrong, but I just smell a troll, is all.

I was referring to the OP.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 4:05 pm

Yes.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 4:31 pm

Corp900 wrote:
Be honest......

Why bother? So you can jump back in and tell me I'm just deluding myself?

Corp900 wrote:
The truth is overwhelming all of you.

:roll:

No, it's not. It's eluding you.

The truth is, the Autistic experience is unique to every individual on the spectrum. Not everyone is as unhappy with it as you are.

Whether you want to accept it or not, THAT is the truth.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...