Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 7:30 pm

Be honest......

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:03 pm

Sometimes I am, and sometimes I'm not. It depends upon the situation. When it comes to work, creativity, or even putting things together, I am very glad that I'm autistic, because I can usually do these types of things much better than most neurotypical people. However, when it comes to dating, going out, or any social event, then I hate being autistic and wish I could understand and follow all of the silly social crap rules so that i can blend in and have fun like the rest.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:06 pm

I'm happy with myself.

When I feel down I just remember what my grandpa says "Life is like a game a of cards you don't pick what you get and you should only take one card/day at a time".

Plus whats with all the threads you make? It seems you just wanna cause drama.

Last edited by Ebonwinter on 17 Sep 2010, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:07 pm

Yes, every time I feel depressed I think about how I have autism and it immediately puts a smile on my face. That's honestly how happy I am that I have autism.

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 8:19 pm

menintights wrote:
Yes, every time I feel depressed I think about how I have autism and it immediately puts a smile on my face. That's honestly how happy I am that I have autism.

....... el diablo

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2010, 8:26 pm

HECK FLIPPING YES! The two reasons I am who I am are the grace of God and Aspergers. I have no idea what would happen if I was an NT.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:27 pm

No. The disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:33 pm

I would not pay to become NT forever. I wouldn't even do so for free, if such were possible. There's not enough money in the world to convince me to do so.

But I wouldn't say I'm happy, exactly; more like content. I'm just content, and I'd like the right to be who I am in public rather than just in private and online.

NOT A DOCTOR

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:48 pm

NO NO NO NO NO. I hate having AS.

If I could take a pill to make me NT, I'd do it in a New York minute.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 8:56 pm

No. But I'm happy with how I've dealt with it. There's nothing you absolutely can't do with AS, so I think a lot of people have it worse.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2010, 9:09 pm

Yes and no. I like the creativity, novel thinking and all the rest of the beneficial traits that go with having AS. But, there is a huge social cost to pay for it. As I get older, these deficits become more and more detrimental.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:22 pm

If I do, then yes, I love being put at a disadvantage. /sarcasm

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:23 pm

I agree with the others who said yes and no and for the same reasons. The social issues are the pits, but the rest is A OK with me, so overall I would favor a YES response over the no.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:28 pm

i became much happier when i learned to love the reflection in the mirror.

Fizzgiz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2010, 9:34 pm

You know this is such a great question. The answer varies as much as we do. I, for one have just discovered I'm an Aspie. I am so excited I want to shout it from the rooftop. Part of it is finally knowing why I am the way I am. The other part is that I'm honored to be a part of the special group. I feel the same way about being left handed. Now the areas in which I'm lacking, just don't impress me. I don't want to be part of the "in group". I hate meaningless social chit chat. And I'm not girly, so I don't want to go to the mall with a bunch of women and go shopping. I despise gossip, and really don't care which celebrity is doing what, where and with whom. I am very very happy to be home with my son and pets. Although my children are my world, I will not have "empty nest syndrome" when they leave home. But, I can walk and chew gum at the same time, even if just barely. My 7 year old Aspie son has a much harder life. He has so much executive functioning difficulty that just existing is a daily struggle for him. He almost always says the wrong word due to a brain filing error. He has very poor fine motor skills, and thus can't take care of himself like he should be able to and would like to. His special focus is video games, and he hates that he doesn't want to do anything else. He longs to be "normal". He really hates his "stupid" brain and can't see anything good about it. He's also irate that there is no "cure", and feels that there should be. I am truly happy where I am, and wouldn't change myself if you paid me. I may not ever get my son to be truly happy where he is, but I will keep trying to get him to accept it, and embrace his talents.

Life_In_Defiance
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2010, 9:41 pm

I felt better after I self diagnosed myself with AS but it still gets me into a deep state of depression now that I am in contact with the real world and realize that I am alone.... I almost committed suicide yesterday so that should explain the level at which I am in life is not even happiness nor depression about having autism other people's treatment. I am happy that autism actually allows me to live in a different world where I can find some happiness....