How would you personally describe "you" and your a

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2010, 7:40 pm

to someone else.

The only way to describe me (according to me) is that I am one half of an autistic individual, and the other half is an eccentric nuerotypical.

These two have intertwined with each other since conception, into a now very compact cell that has learned to live with each other.

The two have battled, loved, hated, learned,punched each other(lol), and have learned to coexist and learn from each other.

Is this what aspergers is??????????????.....one half of a nuerotypical pitted against one half of a malfunctioning (but brilliant) autistic mind?

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2010, 7:42 pm

How would you personally decribe your autism to somenoe else?....sorry for the title screw up :oops:

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 7:44 pm

:shrug:

I think the thing speaks for itself.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 7:50 pm

I would say that I am shy to those who don't know me, but actually thoughtful. I am a keen observer, and am fascinated by all things relating to money and markets.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 9:42 pm

AnAutisticMind wrote:
to someone else.

These two have intertwined with each other since conception, into a now very compact cell that has learned to live with each other.

The two have battled, loved, hated, learned,punched each other(lol), and have learned to coexist and learn from each other.

Is this what aspergers is??????????????.....one half of a nuerotypical pitted against one half of a malfunctioning (but brilliant) autistic mind?

Metaphorically, you could say that. I've learned how to learn in an unconventional ways, that suits me (The only pitfall is lost time).

And as we know, it's an overgrowth of connections (white matter) , and an undergrowth of other systems.

I'd personally say possessing a "wide associative horizon," as a compensatory ability, would add nonlinear thinking , and one could be brilliant.
I can see this "thinking" in ppr.

I had this 'wide width' of thinking, even at 5, that would surpass my typical peers by many years.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm

I was diagnosed with some traits of AS but not all. I feel very ambivalent about being autisitc, and even now, just writing it down, it doesn't feel entirely true. Perhaps I'm in denial, but I also feel like a fraud somehow. It has certainly caused me great difficulties with socializing throughout my life and it still does to this day. Every time I'm in a social situation it feels incredibly stressful. I feel like other people have an "otherness" that is inscrutable and disquieting, and I'm always on edge around them, except for people I'm very close to like my ex boyfriends.

I think that I'm very clear-thinking and I believe it's due to AS, but who knows? I also have artistic ability and I attribute that to AS as well, but I haven't been able to put it good use. I feel lost and at loose ends much of the time. I think that last sentence describes my experience most of all.

(I've also had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for most of my adult life, so it's hard to say exactly where my difficulties come from, if they're from AS, CFS, or depression and anxiety. It's quite a stew. :) )

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm

I wouldn't mention the word, autism. I'd just tell whoever is curious, that I'm a die-hard Kinks Fan, who's living in a time warp, and I'm very set in my ways, and I'm happy that way.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 12:18 am

Can't say I have ever explained much of anything about myself. The people who get me don't seem to need it but are happy to hear my discourses, and the others either don't listen or reject what I say.

Free-Hinter-System
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2010, 12:30 am

Most people can sort of tell, I think. I inform a few people of it in real life and they say that they knew it already, and they seem ok with it. It is not as though talking about it will lessen its impact.

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2010, 3:24 pm

i would say:
I see the world differently to you. Some things scare the hell out of me, when you arent bothered, I might act a little oddly, too. Autism is just, essentially, being social and communicating in a different way to everyone else.