What seems to be the problem with people at the DVR Office?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 835

17 May 2006, 5:15 pm

As some of you might know, I have recently submitted an application to a DVR office this past Friday. The counselor told me that I need to undergo an updated psychological evaluation, which might take two weeks. I was told that I would receive a reply through either email or regular mail about a few doctors and phone numbers they've under contract with.

It's now Wednesday. I have yet to receive any reply, so what is the matter with these people? How long does it take to write some sort of short notice with a couple of doctors and phone numbers? If they tell me that it may take two weeks to make the so-called appointment, and it takes them two weeks to even reply to me, then that means that it would take me four weeks to get anything done! This is utterly ridiculous, and I am not the sort of person they want to screw around with.

To make matters even more confusing, the counselor tells me that the first thing that I have to do is to keep in contact with her. That's all well and good, but what if she forgets to contact me? Or she believes that I am supposed to contact her first and then she contacts me? I doubt this is how these things work, but I've been in situations before where I was expected to do something under a few circumstances, only to find out that I misread the instructions. If she thinks she can screw with me, she has truly got another thing coming. I am not the type of person you want to screw with.

And then there's my father, who is on my back about getting a job, since I am 32 years old, and he can't seem to understand why nobody is calling me or anything. He probably believes, since he's mentioned it once, that I'm not looking hard enough. And, I am not going to tell him about my DVR prospects, because I don't want to answer any of his stupid questions ... questions like, "Why do you need that?" or s**t like that. So, I have, for the past month or so, feigned phony interview sessions to make him all happy and stuff. This can only go on for so long, however, and the counselor is going to hear about it. I am notorious for secretly taping, whether by cassette or videocassette, people's conversations, so the counselor just may end up receiving a videocassette of me having a meltdown because of my father's stupid ideas. And, after that, the counselor can find out just how much of a nuisance I can be if she does not comply to my demands.

- Ray M -



ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Mar 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,278
Location: Rochester Minnesota

17 May 2006, 5:33 pm

Aeturnus,

If you can use the phone, tomorrow make a polite call to her office stating that you have not received the information that she promised you. The case worker probably has about 20 people to deal with and unless you stay on top of things, she will forget about promises made. If you cannot use the phone, then try email or some other method of contact.

It is too bad about your father being the way he is because at this junction, an advocate would not be a bad idea.


_________________
Louis J Bouchard
Rochester Minnesota

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate


Paula
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 762
Location: San Diego Calif

17 May 2006, 9:29 pm

Get ahold of a mental health advocate, they will speak for you and let you know what your rights are. You can find them at your county mental health office or even hospital, they can direct you, and mediate for you.We have a person who uses this website who had some serious problems with a social worker at the DVR office. I am going to contact her ASAP to let her know who you are.



Paula
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 762
Location: San Diego Calif

17 May 2006, 9:44 pm

Just spoke to her, she's asking where you are from. Sense AS isn't a mental illness you might not get help from the mental health advocates. She said to contact the governor's office and find out if there's an autism society or aspergers support group in your area/state and then contact them. And also to be aware of anyone flogging cures.



Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 835

17 May 2006, 11:14 pm

Paula wrote:
Just spoke to her, she's asking where you are from. Sense AS isn't a mental illness you might not get help from the mental health advocates. She said to contact the governor's office and find out if there's an autism society or aspergers support group in your area/state and then contact them. And also to be aware of anyone flogging cures.


I see that you're from California. I'm actually from New Jersey, which is way on the other side of the country.

I know about a local aspergers support group. I am currently attending one, and I spoke to someone last month about this. They told me to apply at a DVR office for supported unemployment. I'm attending another meeting this coming Sunday, but this same person I doubt will be there. She was a speaker on supported employment as well as housing assistance.

I feel sort of strange talking to someone at an asperger's group about things like this, because I'm not officially diagnosed, nor do I know if I even will be. All I know is that I will be diagnosed with something that will get me into a program.

- Ray M -



anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 735

17 May 2006, 11:40 pm

Aeturnus, It sounds like you are feeling frustrated with the whole system. I know I would be frustrated. The one thing that I have learned about dealing with the system is that those clerks in disability and welfare offices dehumanize the clients who come to them for assistance. That subconscious strategy of dehumanization is the only way that they can implement some of those nasty policies and continue to do their jobs. It's human nature. They have jobs, you don't. They see you as less than human. If you get angry they will just increase that level of dehumanization. The best way to get their assistance is to be a model client, follow all the rules, be as respectful as you can be, and above all, make sure to express deep and personal gratitude for whatever you receive. The clerk you are dealing with will be disarmed by your good behavior, your gratitude, and will come to feel a personal connection as your advocate. In my experience this strategy works very well to counter their dehumanization, as nauseating as it may seem.

You also have to be very vigilant. You have to know how they are going to screw you before they know they are going to screw you. If I was you I would not trust the doctors they have contracted with. BIG red flag there. If at all possible, get a diagnosis from an independent assessor.



Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 835

18 May 2006, 11:30 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
Aeturnus,

If you can use the phone, tomorrow make a polite call to her office stating that you have not received the information that she promised you. The case worker probably has about 20 people to deal with and unless you stay on top of things, she will forget about promises made. If you cannot use the phone, then try email or some other method of contact.

It is too bad about your father being the way he is because at this junction, an advocate would not be a bad idea.


I called her today. She told me that I should see something in the mail by the end of next week. I can't believe these people are that slow. It takes two weeks to send a short notice out? One would assume they have a better organizational standard.

- Ray M -



ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2005
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 980
Location: Southern California, USA

20 May 2006, 2:01 am

I've dealt with the same problem. Unfortunately with these organizations, they are extremely slow. I ended up switching agencies because the DVR counselor I was working with didn't do much, while I kept up my end of the deal by keeping in contact with her. What was even more annoying was that when that counselor left, she said that I hadn't done my part, which wasn't true at all. I may be an Aspie, but that doesn't give you the right to slander my good name. :x Now, I work with Easter Seals and they're wonderful. The person I work with there is great about helping me prepare for interviews, and even lets me use their fax machine for faxing resumes. The only thing that was a pain in the butt was that it took nearly 2 months before the Regional Center and Department of Rehab authorized services.


_________________
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason,
and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei


Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 835

20 May 2006, 4:37 pm

ADoyle wrote:
I've dealt with the same problem. Unfortunately with these organizations, they are extremely slow. I ended up switching agencies because the DVR counselor I was working with didn't do much, while I kept up my end of the deal by keeping in contact with her. What was even more annoying was that when that counselor left, she said that I hadn't done my part, which wasn't true at all. I may be an Aspie, but that doesn't give you the right to slander my good name. :x Now, I work with Easter Seals and they're wonderful. The person I work with there is great about helping me prepare for interviews, and even lets me use their fax machine for faxing resumes. The only thing that was a pain in the butt was that it took nearly 2 months before the Regional Center and Department of Rehab authorized services.


I'm not actually going to be dealing with the counselor that much anyway, because she plans to place me with the firm I asked for, Allies Inc. This firm is going to help me find employment, because that's what they do. Because of state standards, apparently, I still need to be referred by a state-sponsored DVR counselor for some reason.

In fact, I sent a resume to Allies, Inc. a while back, for a position in working with people with disabilities. I've just got called in for an interview just a couple of days ago. I believe the manager that I spoke to at the aspie support group may have said something. I don't know.

- Ray M -