Aspie's living all together in a 8 bedroom house

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 7:26 am

As an adjunct to the Aspie Nation thread, I was considering the more viable alternative of something more akin to a small step in that direction, that of letting out rooms in a big old house to aspie's.

There could be a garden and chooks, some goat or cow, orchard and workshop full of tools(my favourite!!). nearby the ocean or mountains to gather wild foods and recreations. A town for medical and other services

We could make yoghurt and cheese, service neighbours cars and fix their homes for income, or have a normal job if you want.

Some of these grand old homes on 1/2 or 1 acre can be cheap to rent in small towns, so living costs could be minimal, meaning that to survive, maybe only 2 hours work a day is required by everyone.

Any suggestions or ideas of how to create a large harmonious household full of aspie singles, couples, and their children?

Last edited by Surfman on 22 Sep 2010, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Sep 2010, 7:41 am

we would have to get really fast internet service and setup wifi throughout the house.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 12:50 pm

I cood set up a pbx phone system with
8 extensions, 8 lines, I hope there wood
be some good carriers for the lines,
each persn cood then just put a phone
in their room (if they wanted to)
and they wood already be set up/provisioned
if they chose to use a aastra or polycom
office phone, which does not need to use
the interface board, just hook it up to
the router and provision it to that extension
and youve got phone.

ok sorry electronics is my one and only
type match, I stink at everything else.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 1:14 pm

How about a commune since it seems like a large farm house on some land with animals and all that.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 1:18 pm

I could tend to the alligators and provide smart ass quips. I am a credit to any kind of community of humans with alligators.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2010, 1:45 pm

very creative indeed. There should be special places like that for aspies who are of age that would want to be more independent and be surrounded by people who understand. What I want to know is what bounderies would be set and issues of safety implemented?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 1:46 pm

Oh yeah that would be quite fun actually.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 3:14 pm

sandra3 wrote:
very creative indeed. There should be special places like that for aspies who are of age that would want to be more independent and be surrounded by people who understand. What I want to know is what bounderies would be set and issues of safety implemented?

Prolly get the local Government Autism Officer or mental health nurse whatever to drop in weekly, especially initially. Sexual misconduct, and protecting vulnerable lower functioning housemates would be a priority in that regard. Having good neighbours within close proximity to act as security guards would be an ideal addition. An 'outsider' of good character would remove the possibility of housemates being abused

The leaseholder/property owner would need to be higher functioning and/or NT. That person would need to be of good character.

Access to power tools, fencing in, safety issues and/or security from possible outsider problems would depend on the local community and housemates functioning levels.

Last edited by Surfman on 22 Sep 2010, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 3:18 pm

pumibel wrote:
How about a commune since it seems like a large farm house on some land with animals and all that.

Rather than a charismatic leader of dubious morals or a religious outlook, I would suggest a commune with a technology based focus. I'm biased in that regard, as I love working with tools, machines and new ideas.

Nikola Tesla is one of my heros.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 3:57 pm

I wouldn't exactly mind having a little aspie community like that but living all together in one home? No, no, no. We need our own little separate abodes. Just because they're autistic doesn't mean they won't clash.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 6:33 pm

A good idea, and one I've proposed before.

I don't pretend to understand the housing laws of the United States, let alone any other countries. Some questions that have been raised in previous discussions of this concept:

1. Is this a "group home", with all of the connotations associated with that term, or an "affinity group" house of individuals sharing common views of the world?

2. Who owns the house, a non-profit of some sort (more regulation), a disinterested legal entity, a aspie-friendly landlord, one of the residents?

3. What services does the house provide, if any? Is the house providing shelter and pass-through utilities, or is the house group providing assistance services, an affilated employer, pooled transportation, common meals, etc.? You could combine almost anything in this category.

4. Is it better to locate the community in a major urban area close to employement and/or public services, or in a less dense
enviroment?

5. How will the funds be raised to start and maintain such a community? The answer to this one is related to No.2 as well.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 6:37 pm

As long as it's classy, I'm in.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 3:15 am

I have a 8 bedroom villa in Grey Lynn Auckland NZ.

The 4000sqare foot home is 150 meters to the shops and supermarket, and the city is only 5 minutes away by bus.

I could kick out my NT housemates and replace them with Auckland aspies :wink:

I'm wondering if I should suggest this at the next aspie support group meeting :?:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 3:44 am

I'm up for it. It would have to be closer to the city, and classy.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:44 am

Its a bit of messy and in need of renovating at the moment

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 6:12 am

buryuntime wrote:
I wouldn't exactly mind having a little aspie community like that but living all together in one home? No, no, no. We need our own little separate abodes. Just because they're autistic doesn't mean they won't clash.
Exactly. What we need is not aspie houses, but aspie neighborhoods.

http://www.autscape.org/