Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2007, 8:54 pm

Here's the letter from my audiologist to the student disabilities office at my school. Pretty much somes up my central auditory processing test, which turns out i do have an auditory processing disorder.

Dear Sir or Madam:

[Insert real name] was seen at our facility for a central auditory processing evaluation on January 29, 2007. Her history includes difficulty hearing in background noise, difficulty following instructions, especially if multiple step, difficulty remembering what is said, and constant bilateral tinnitus.

Audiometric testing revealed normal normal peripheral hearing sensitivity bilaterally and normal type A tympangrams bilaterally. The central auditory processing battery revealed a significant central auditory processing disorder. [Insert real name] exhibits symptoms and test responses characteristic of both the Tolerance Fading Memory and the Decoding types of auditory processing disorders. These individuals have difficulty with short term auditory memory, hearing in background noise, reading comprehension, and following directions, perform poorly on written tests, and have difficulty with group listening conditions.

[Insert real name] needs some accommodations to succeed in the college environment. She needs to sit close to her teachers with her better right ear toward the teacher. She should consider plugging the left ear in noisy conditions. Her teachers need to provide her with copies of all power point presentations and outlines used in class. All assignments and intrustions need to be written down for her. She needs to be providede with quiet test taking areas and should be given extra time for taking written tests. She should only take one year of a foreign language and should have no auditory or oral tests, only written. She should be allowed to pre-read the material before it is presented in class and should avoid classes where no textbood or supportive written material is available.

Thank you for you assistance,
[Insert name of audiologist]

This is an overview of my individual condition. The disorder can vary from person to person depending on what part of the brain is affected and how severely it is affected. Turns out that the pathway from my left ear to my brain is where my problems lie, hence y my audiologist suggested plugging that ear during noisy environments and only using my better right ear. A series of tests were used to determine if i have CAPD. One test said words in background noise and I had to repeat them, and my test score is based on how many words i repeated correctly. My right ear scored in normal range compared to the average adult, but my left ear only scored 60% correct, pretty severe. Seems I am mishearing 40% of what is said to me in my left ear if there are other noises going on at the same time. In additon to that test, there was a test that said part of a word in one ear, then on the second syllable of that word, a second word was begun in the left ear, so that 2 syllable overlap, and then the second syllable of the second word is finished in the second ear. Like this: if the two words are jumprope and dodgeball then the right ear hears [jump] both ears [rope dodge] left ear [ball]. I didn't score so well on that either. A third test went like this, a word was divided into it's phonetic sounds and i had to remember the sounds and put the word back together. So if the word is gum, then it is said: [guh] [uh] [mmm] and then i had to say "gum." I did alright on that test. A normal hearing test was given before any of these tests to insure that i don't have hearing loss, which i don't. I'm surprised i've gotten as far in school with as good of grades that i have (a's and b's). But i had to work twice as hard as most to get those grades and learn and study a lot on my own. My disabilities office is going to work with me to meet the accomodations that my audiologist mentioned in the letter so that i don't have to work as hard as i have been, so that i can have less stress, and hear the things that i am missing in class bc of CAPD. I know some of you also suspect CAPD so that's y i posted all this info, even though it's long. If anyone has any questions just let me know and i'll be glad to answer.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the info...that kind of testing is what I thought I would be getting when I went in for AS DX.I guess it is a seperate "thing".I have mostly revolved my life around my strengths and weaknesses as I understood them but still feel I am falling short of my full potential....?(A 43 year old college graduate babysitting animals on an over night shift for 10.oo an hour.)
Maybe this is all I can achieve in my life....but I always wonder if I could do more.

I am glad you will be getting the accommodation's.The stress it relieves will allow you to enjoy your life more and focus that extra energy in new ways.Congratulations.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2007, 10:34 pm

ner, I think i have CAPD. except my parents dont because they are imbeciles.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 11:41 pm

SoccerFreak wrote:

WOW, I thought you were diagnosed. And your avatar and tagline were cute. I'm sad to see them go. 8-( Maybe they should see jnets letter.

jnet,

For the deliverables they want the teacher to give you, schools require that they have "lesson plans" that should INCLUDE that! I always felt they should give that to EVERYONE!

Steve

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2007, 11:48 pm

SteveK wrote:
SoccerFreak wrote:

WOW, I thought you were diagnosed. And your avatar and tagline were cute. I'm sad to see them go. 8-( Maybe they should see jnets letter.

jnet,

For the deliverables they want the teacher to give you, schools require that they have "lesson plans" that should INCLUDE that! I always felt they should give that to EVERYONE!

Steve

I had to get rid of my avatar because I got a message from alex that "it's too big!" so now it's gone, so I changed my signature cause no one will know what im talking about if there is no picture. Im working on it though tomorrow and see if I can fix it.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 11:22 pm

Thanks Jnet for the update on how your CAPD appt went. And thanks for the PM you sent. I'll write you back this weekend. I'm fixing to go to bed because have to be at work early in the morning. I have a few questions on the testing which I'll get back to you on.

I have an appt to be evaluated week after next for CAPD. It's kinda embarrassing because I have to go to the children's ward at the hospital. I am picturing the waiting room will be full of short chairs with toys and crayons strung out everywhere. So its weird being nearly 40 and having an appointment there. But the lady assured me the dr there has worked with many adults with CAPD over the years and that they can do some kind of therapy/treatment for adults that suffer with it.

Aardvark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Feb 2007, 12:22 am

Is there some sort of online screening test out there for this? I mishear words a lot less than I used to, I'm probably average for that, but i often don't comprehend instructions well, and i am often told I speak really, really loudly but i don't notice it at all. might this be capd or hearing loss?

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2007, 10:52 am

aardvark,
CAPD is present from birth, not something you develop over time, so if you are only recently starting to have hearing difficulties it is probably hearing loss and not CAPD. There isn't an online screening test for CAPD bc a trained audiologist must administer the test and interpret the results. However, there are sites online that give you a description of the disorder and a list of symptoms. If you check yes to most of the symptoms, you should be evaluated by an audiologist. Here's a good site with information about CAPD http://www.tsbvi.edu/Outreach/seehear/s ... ditory.htm It also describes some of the possible testing that may be used by an audiologist.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 3:54 pm

If you are speaking loud and you do not noice, but everyone else does then that is a strong indicator of hearing loss. I have mild hearing loss and wearing hearing aids, so I know all about this sort of thing. People with hearing loss talk loud because they can't even hear themselves speaking very well. I would mention this to your dr and let them have a look in the ears first. Major earwax can cause temporary hearing loss and that should be ruled out before going to an audiologist.

CAPD is totally different. It has to do more with hearing "sounds" but the brain not being able to translate sounds into meanings. Or there is a delay while the brain translates meanwhile the person talking to you is waiting and waiting for your response.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 4:48 pm

I suspect I have this. I was diagnosed when 13 as having a mild form of it. The only testing that was done on me (as part of research) was giving me a pair of headphones with someone saying words with a background noise. I had to say what words were being said. Would be interesting to know how exactly they find out whether your brain processes it all properly or not. I find people quite hard to hear people sometimes. I've even been to ordinary hearing tests twice to see if I was deaf...but both times the audiologists said I had very good hearing. So, maybe I'm better at hearing other people's conversations better than my own?! I mean, I can sometimes hear whispers in a room next to me, and all the time I can hear conversations downstairs very well. Sometimes I can overhear others' conversations. Yet, I need the TV on loud, and I just give up sometimes trying to hear others in a busy environment.

I do hear differently in my left ear and therefore can't use the phone with that ear. Also when someone talks to me, it can sound garbled at first, then it makes sense a couple of seconds later...by the time I've already asked, "Sorry?".

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 5:09 pm

I failed hearing tests as a child when other people were in the room. I wonder if this is a sign of CAPD (I've never been tested for it.)

XshadowX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2010, 5:27 pm

I was Diagnosed with Severe Auditory Processing Disorder. I just found that out 3 months ago :lol: Was looking though my school record, i had no idea what this was, So i googled it :D

This explains so much now, Glad i found it out :lol:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 5:55 pm

buryuntime wrote:
I failed hearing tests as a child when other people were in the room. I wonder if this is a sign of CAPD (I've never been tested for it.)

Surely you're not meant to be even hearing other people during a hearing test, since you're put in a sound-proof little room. Or is your hearing THAT good?!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 6:01 pm

smudge wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

Surely you're not meant to be even hearing other people during a hearing test, since you're put in a sound-proof little room. Or is your hearing THAT good?!

It was just a school hearing test. All my classmates were in the room, albeit instructed to be quiet. I was the only one that failed it.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 6:26 pm

buryuntime wrote:
smudge wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

It was just a school hearing test. All my classmates were in the room, albeit instructed to be quiet. I was the only one that failed it.

I've not heard of a school hearing test before. It sounds a pretty useless thing to do in a classroom full of kids.