Guessing game to help with my under-grad paper

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

arbel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2010, 3:29 am

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student studying education, particularly for students with ASC.

My final project for school involves a research I'm conducting on the decision-making processes of individuals with Asperger syndrome. I need individuals who are over 18, to take part in a guessing-game. In this on-line game you need to guess which light will go on, green or red. After each selection you'll know if you guessed right, and the total of right answers is presented to you. I would like to stress the importance of completing the game. The game has 50 guessing questions, please please run through all of them....

http://idanarbel.com/ayala/en.html

Thank you so much
Ayala Arbel

Erg1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2010, 9:51 am

I'm confused.

Why are you promoting a Discrimination Reaction Choice instrument as a game to autistics?

Rgds

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 10:04 am

Well, it's related to attention, decision-making, and visual processing, so it's not altogether a horrible idea. I don't think you can really get useful data doing it over the Internet, since you can't control for environment and you're going to get wide disparities between novice and advanced mouse users, but... ehh, it's not a bad idea.

If there's no pattern, you should also tell people that there is no pattern, but that one light may have a higher chance of flashing than the other light. Otherwise, you will get people trying to figure out the pattern rather than just trying to guess which light turns on more often. (Unless this pattern-seeking tendency is what you're trying to measure. It may well be.)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 10:17 am

I fail to see the point of the study, please could someone explain what the point of the guessing game is. The colour of the bulb seems to be totally random.

When making guesses about random objects which have two states I would expect all people to get on average 50 correct.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

arbel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Oct 2010, 11:13 am

Hi,

thank you for you comments let me try to explain a bit without compromising the results,.

First of all there's no timed result, no need for speed or for that fact no one does this better than any one else, since it is guessing.
the goal is to learn about decision-making,

the lighting of the bulb is random and is not always 50%, this helps understand what decisions are made when a pattern arises.

Hope that cleared it up, I appreciate the involvement and participation, and I'll try to post the results here once the paper is completed.

Idan Arbel

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 11:20 am

I don't really understand it.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2010, 7:18 pm

I don't see the point either, and would be concerned, and insulted, if you really expect insights into "the decision-making processes of individuals with Asperger syndrome" based on this. For one thing the test is too boring to invoke a desire to make decisions, and there is no result, feedback or consequence to offer any sense of value by participating.

Selecting one colour all the time (either red or green) gives a significantly higher than 50% result anyway, so if the control of 'no guess' yields a high match rate, pattern-searching or decision-making are irrelevant.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2010, 8:11 pm

It seems to me to be more like a lucky guessing game rather than a decision making process. To make a decision is like making a judgment based on evaluating the choices. I just don't see how I can evaluate a lucky guess---there doesn't seem to be anything to evaluate.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 8:12 pm

I'm skeptical about this.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 8:34 pm

I don't think arbel is interested in the accuracy of the guesses.

I think it has to do with studying the likelihood of the guesser choosing each option depending on said guesser's own previous results.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 12:11 am

See, this is what happens when you come onto a forum with rational/logical thinking people. That said, I'd do it if I weren't full of percocet.