Training Aspies to work in the field of sales?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 5:12 pm

Training Aspies to work successfully in the field of sales?

Is that possible?

Is that a myth?

Experiences?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Shopping_Network
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Circosta

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 8:36 pm

Sounds like torture.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 8:46 pm

I've worked sales, was good at it even, I just had trouble with things like having to cold call people and try to finagle their time for a sales pitch. I did in home cutlery demos for a while, I was actually really good at that and won a bunch of merchandise for making so many sales in my first month. I was invested in the product, was proud of it, and my sincerity and enthusiasm came through very clearly. I think I'm not unusual among Aspies in being more comfortable in a social interaction when I have a defined purpose, such as promoting a product, and a "script" to work off of, it takes a lot of the ambiguity out of things. I feel similarly about service work, I'm perfectly comfortable interacting with customers in a business setting because we each have clearly defined roles, I have more trouble making small talk without the ice breaker of the business relationship.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 10:48 pm

If the people want to learn about the sales trade, than I guess that it would work.