Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Gallygun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2010, 6:10 pm

I'm 23. I'm awfully pretty. But for some reason, I hate doing things. I hate going outside my house.

I'm not agoraphobic. I just don't like going out of my house unless it's with my mother!! !

She's my best friend and she's safe, I'll give you that. I don't have to put on a facade around her. I don't mind going to appointments with my therapist, because she's paid to listen, and it's hard for people to turn down money.

Other than that, I don't go anywhere. I don't do anything. I shop online, sometimes I go to the mall, alone, and pick up something very specific, but never to just shop.

Is this common among Aspergers?! My gosh, I always denied it, but I really am just a shut in! I don't like talking with neighbors, I don't even try! My step-dad said, though not in a mean way, "You never leave the house!"

I feel like such a failure and coward! How can I fix this?! I don't like going places because they are exhausting and I feel the need to be at the center of attention, or I just feel left out. After all the emotional crap has hit, I can't focus at all!! !

First, is it common with AS?
Second, what can I do about it?

Please help :cry:

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

28 Sep 2010, 6:17 pm

I don't know if it's common with all Aspies, but you sure do seem to have a lot in common with me. I also hate going outside of the house with anyone other than my mother (even my father makes me anxious, since he seems to love to criticize me), and I also hardly ever venture outside of the house. For me, the issue of being confined to the house has to do with my severe social anxiety and the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere and I can't drive. (I tend to dissociate while I'm driving, which has made me almost get into more accidents than I care to think about.) Even if I did live in a big city, though, I still think I wouldn't want to go outside, since that would mean having to encounter other people and possibly have to talk to them. (Not to mention the fact that they'd inevitably judge me for acting as oddly as I do.)

So you can know that at least one other Aspie has the same issues you do.

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 6:20 pm

You sound just like me. Do you have a dog or like them? They need to go out for exercise and it's fun, plus you'd be confident with a huge, intimidating dog with you. Maybe get a Doberman.

Gallygun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2010, 6:27 pm

quiet_dove wrote:
I tend to dissociate while I'm driving, which has made me almost get into more accidents than I care to think about.

So you can know that at least one other Aspie has the same issues you do.

I do that too. I've missed turns and I hate driving so bad, I can't drive on highways because the thought of onramps and no lights terrifies me!

Science_Guy wrote:
You sound just like me. Do you have a dog or like them? They need to go out for exercise and it's fun, plus you'd be confident with a huge, intimidating dog with you. Maybe get a Doberman.

I used to walk my English Setter, whom I loved dearly, all the time. I have a Boxer now, she so strong she pulls me over and runs away!
I also have a major phobia of wasps, and being that it is 92 degrees out and I'm in Colorado, that is a huge deterrent to going outside as well.
I'll have to try it when it's cooler.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 6:30 pm

Gallygun wrote:
I feel like such a failure and coward! How can I fix this?!
Why does it need fixing? Why does it make you a failure?

I've hardly left the house the last two years, and don't see why I should. I find the "going out" stuff to be no fun at all, so I only leave when I have to. I do go for walks to get some sun & exercise, but that's still solitary.

Gallygun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2010, 6:38 pm

Bluefins wrote:
Gallygun wrote:

I've hardly left the house the last two years, and don't see why I should. I find the "going out" stuff to be no fun at all, so I only leave when I have to. I do go for walks to get some sun & exercise, but that's still solitary.

Everyone is always pushing me to "go out and make friends", to push myself to grow, and I don't want to be alone my whole life. I just don't make any friends when I do go out!

I feel like I'm letting everyone down, so I feel like a failure. But it is so exhausting to put myself through it. But I also know that my parents (who I temporarily live with), need time in their home to themselves.

Everyone always says "You have to go to other people!" But where are all the other people who have to go to other people, and why aren't they coming to me? I know that life doesn't work that way, but it seems logical!

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 6:54 pm

One persistent childhood memory is of my parents trying to get me go out and play. If it got really tense I'd ride my bike to my grandparents' house where I could be inside again.

In my teen years I felt more desire to roam, but had to suffer catcalls and guffaws because I walked and talked "funny," so I didn't chance it very often.

Eventually I got so I could carry out normal errands successfully. However, novel and unscripted encounters continued to be problematic, so socializing was pretty much out.

I still feel satisfaction and relief when I wrap up my day, go home and shut the door, secure in the knowledge that I won't have to open it again until the morning.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 7:04 pm

Gallygun wrote:
Bluefins wrote:
Gallygun wrote:

Everyone is always pushing me to "go out and make friends", to push myself to grow, and I don't want to be alone my whole life. I just don't make any friends when I do go out!

I feel like I'm letting everyone down, so I feel like a failure. But it is so exhausting to put myself through it. But I also know that my parents (who I temporarily live with), need time in their home to themselves.

Everyone always says "You have to go to other people!" But where are all the other people who have to go to other people, and why aren't they coming to me? I know that life doesn't work that way, but it seems logical!
Live your life, not someone else's life. Whether they think you'd be happier with people or just want you to act normal, they can't know what's good for you. What do *you* want to do? Not what you should do, not what others say, just you. You're not growing by letting others dictate your life.

Gallygun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2010, 7:30 pm

Bluefins wrote:
Gallygun wrote:
Bluefins wrote:
Gallygun wrote:

Live your life, not someone else's life. Whether they think you'd be happier with people or just want you to act normal, they can't know what's good for you. What do *you* want to do? Not what you should do, not what others say, just you. You're not growing by letting others dictate your life.

I personally just want to shop online, but I don't have the money for that :lol:

I want to collect comics, have a husband who is my best friend, and be an artist. I don't know if I feel right just staying at home, though it is tempting. I feel like I would be succumbing to my fears and anxiety.

But you are right in that I need to do what makes me happy. I just want somewhere I can go to relate, but I haven't found that yet.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 8:02 pm

kinda hard for me to be shut in, what with the uncontrollable urges to roam and wander around and all.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 8:31 pm

I can be the same way, except I don't shut myself off inside. I just don't interact with people when I can avoid it. Maybe, you should try getting out for a specified time each day just out of habit. Who knows, you might find yourself into something you enjoy or meet somebody you can relate to.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 11:09 pm

Gallygun wrote:
I'm 23. I'm awfully pretty. But for some reason, I hate doing things. I hate going outside my house.

I'm not agoraphobic. I just don't like going out of my house unless it's with my mother!! !

She's my best friend and she's safe, I'll give you that. I don't have to put on a facade around her. I don't mind going to appointments with my therapist, because she's paid to listen, and it's hard for people to turn down money.

Other than that, I don't go anywhere. I don't do anything. I shop online, sometimes I go to the mall, alone, and pick up something very specific, but never to just shop.

Is this common among Aspergers?! My gosh, I always denied it, but I really am just a shut in! I don't like talking with neighbors, I don't even try! My step-dad said, though not in a mean way, "You never leave the house!"

I feel like such a failure and coward! How can I fix this?! I don't like going places because they are exhausting and I feel the need to be at the center of attention, or I just feel left out. After all the emotional crap has hit, I can't focus at all!! !

First, is it common with AS?
Second, what can I do about it?

Please help :cry:

It is common enough with AS, but I honestly can't offer any advice since I can't even seem to help myself. I have question to ask and please do not answer it if you don't feel comfortable doing so. You said you shop online and i'm assuming you have no income (unless you're receiving SSI or something) since you don't leave the house. Where do you get the money to shop online then? Does your family give you money? I don't work now either and have no income whatsoever. I just have a little savings from when I did work and I live with family so my living expenses are basically nil. In other words...I see alot of people (including plenty of neurotypicals) who don't work and have no other income who nonetheless have all sorts of fairly costly material possessions. I basically have nothing but my laptop, a guitar my parents bought for me and hundreds of books i've accumulated over the years. Therefore.....i'm always curious about people who, like myself, don't work and have no other discernable source of income and yet have all sorts of material possessions.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 11:13 pm

I refuse to leave the house unless I can bring my pet lizard with me or else I can't function. I think I am agrophobic in a way but I don't care. When I need to go out, I can bring my lizard with me. I can always grow our food and get all her things online and breed her live food myself. I already get her hornworms and butterworms online and I can get all my painting stuff online as well and since all the art stores around here suck and don't have much variety, I'm considering doing that anway.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 12:13 am

well counting my previous post, the only times I really shut myself in is if I get too absorbed with something.

I do go outside... as long as it isn't raining for 3 days nonstop like it has... and my primal urge to just go out and wander has been very irritating...

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/